Fiber

Options
How do you manage to get enough fiber every day? And is there something you eat that gives you a lot of both fiber and protein?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Vegetables.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beans. Not as much protein as meat, but they are protein rich food and a great source of fiber. Nuts are pretty good too.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Mission Carb Balance wraps with my eggs for breakfast... omg. Those things have 20 g of fiber in them. They also have 200 calories. That was back when I was also eating veggies with lunch and dinner and for snack... I started pooping 5 times a day. Ain't nobody got time for that. I had to back off the fiber.

Sorry... that wasn't very helpful. Eat more veggies!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Vegies and beans give a good source of fiber and protein.

If I want just fiber, and I have something like shredded wheat and banana for breakfast cereal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Beans, lots of veg, fruit, oats, nuts
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Vegetables.

I agree. I eat lots of veggies in a day
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to eat enough fruit and vegetables on a regular basis to keep me, well....regular, so I rely on a particular brand of coconut that has 14 grams of fiber in a small 42 gram serving (147 calories). The downside is that it has quite a bit of sugar.

I eat a serving every morning and by the time I eat the rest of my food for the day I can either hit my goal or at least come close enough to call it a hit. I see it as more of a supplement than anything else.

I am unable to eat anything with gluten in it any more so this has been the easiest way to bridge the difficult transition to dealing with celiac disease.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    By reading up on the "why" for fibre; and deciding that in reality I wasn't really bothered by it :).
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi GoLean cereal which has 13g of protein and 10g of fiber. Unfortunately it also has 30 g of carbs. Adding an apple or orange is good too, can't remember for sure but think it is 6-7 g each. I have problems if I don't eat enough fiber and this seems to help. Also prunes for fiber, nuts and beans. The beans and cereal also have lots of carbs. Lots of veggies, some have more fiber than others though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How do you manage to get enough fiber every day? And is there something you eat that gives you a lot of both fiber and protein?

Kashi Go Lean (original) has both. I like to stir (fibrous) cereal in my morning yogurt.....and add slivered almonds for healthy fat.

Whole grains retain protein and have fiber....not particularly high numbers

...........salad with grilled chicken has both

...........add raspberries to Greek yogurt for both
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Fruit, Oatmeal, and my pumpkin smoothies:

5 ice cubes
    1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    1 large banana
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Edit: The smoothie alone is 15g of fiber. I try to aim for 45-50g of fiber per the advice from my doctor, so it helps a lot.
  • livingsecret
    livingsecret Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bran flakes, my breakfast every morning and my snack if I'm hungry in the day :)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Dried peas and nuts provide both fiber and protein.
    Barley and whole wheat bread provide more fiber than the more common rice and white bread.

I don't really reach the fiber goal most days, but I reliably hit 30g each day which seems to be enough. I track it because, for me, it seems to correlate very highly with satiety.
  • bobobolobo
    bobobolobo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I buy ground flax seed and make wraps with it. They taste great, have no carbs, have protein and healthy fat..
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Golden Flax sprouted grain crunchy cereal has 6g of fiber and 8g protein in 1/2 cup serving.
    No sugar and only 180 calories per serving. I add fresh or dry fruit and it's very filling with almond milk or regular milk.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas. I don't worry about the carbs, but calories add up so quickly.

I've been eating Quest bars to help with getting the 30 grams I try for each day. I wish I liked beans better.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I add milled flaxseed to as many things as possible. I also try to fit in some good whole wheat bread for meals. Gets me closer than I've ever been to what myfitnesspal recommends. And I do "go" better and easier than every before too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Unless you experience difficulty in the poop department you really do not need that much fibre.

However if you are eating a healthy diet which consists of some fruit and veg you are probably getting enough (IMO the important fibre for a healthy gut and gut flora is soluble fibre).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is that a SECOND time?....

That I seem to agree with tennisdude?
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For us, it's all about root vegetables with the skins left on, fruits, baked beans, wholemeal bread, mulitgrain crackers and cereal bars.

Weetabix bars are 98 calories and contain 5 grams of fibre, the most we have found in any bar so far and were recommended by our Dietician :-)

Kaela x