Diabetes!! Pre/Borderline/Elevated.... WTH!!

Options

Replies

• MsTrueBlue
    MsTrueBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned eating carbs with fiber and a protein, can you explain why?? I'm asking because I love to eat oatmeal in the morning for my breakfast... Do I need to add something else to the oatmeal or will I be ok with just oatmeal...

Maple Brown Sugar (High Fiber) is my favorite..... Do I need to eliminate oatmeal from my diet????
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned eating carbs with fiber and a protein, can you explain why?? I'm asking because I love to eat oatmeal in the morning for my breakfast... Do I need to add something else to the oatmeal or will I be ok with just oatmeal...

Maple Brown Sugar (High Fiber) is my favorite..... Do I need to eliminate oatmeal from my diet????

When you eat carbs with fiber and protein, the body breaks them down together and it takes longer, causing less glucose spikes. (simplified explanation)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    To be diagnosed with diabetes at my hospital, you must have two fasting glucose levels above 126. Take a few deep breaths and relax a little. It's never too early to start making healthier food choices but you don't need to panic about this yet.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation; they described it as "one toe over the edge" towards diabetes. I got down to low normal after a couple of months of exercise and losing several pounds. That was before I started on MFP. My last fasting test, after several more months of exercise, MFP and losing more weight, was low normal again.
    You can definitely do it. Good luck.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

The link to the Newcastle University study above helped me enormously. It contends that true type 2 (as opposed adult onset type 1 and other forms) is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas and can be reversed by losing enough visceral fat.

I have succeeded in reversing my diabetes diagnosis, in that I have been instructed to stop taking medication and my hba1c after 4 months without medication is 5.0 which is smack dab in the middle of normal.

My story: Was diagnosed in August 2012 with a hba1c of 10+. Originally prescribed 2000 mg of metformin daily and started losing weight gradually with MFP. After about 6 months, I was down 10% of body weight and my GP gave me license to start experimenting with reducing metformin. It took me another year to lose another 10% of body weight, but by this time I was only taking 500 mg of metformin every other day, and my hba1c was 4.9. In November 2013 I was instructed to stop medicating completely. In March 2014 my hba1c was 5.0.

I don't severely restrict carbs in my diet, usually having around 150 g daily. I don't notice intra day spikes. However, I no longer test post prandial, unless I eat an unusually high carb meal, because the NHS no longer pays for my test strips. Then I might get a reading of 7.1 an hour after starting the high carb meal when 7.8 is considered normal.

Good luck with managing your blood glucose.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Hey there.

Before you can start jumping to conclusions you really need for your doctor to actually sit down and test you properly.
    Did the doctor say what type of test it was. If it was random it is done at anytime of the day, and as you know our glucose level fluctuate throughout different times in the day. Hence the reason why diabetics take different types/stengths of insulin and at different times in the day. So lets say before walking into the consulting room you demolished a mango and and a chocolate bar. Natrually your levels will be high.

A HBA1C is a good test. It gives you an average figure over a period of time, which is a very useful indicator. From what I've learned, the best test is a Random Glucose Tolerance Test. Have you had this done? It might be worth contacting your doctor and seeing what has been done. Is all tests are conclusive then ask for referral to a diabetes nurse/ clinic. I'm not sure how the system works for you, but diabetes is such a common disease of MEDCs that there is bound to be official help readily available.

I don't know if this helps, but basically be sure all the tests have been done. Also there are many official diabetes groups online (try NHS) or even try patient.co.uk (that site is a gem!)

Also I want to STRESS this! Everyone here and myself included can only tell you there experiences and what they MAY know. The Expert is your doctor who will undoubtedly seen many diabetic patients in his/her career. Lay people make mistakes and have different methods of coping, but really you need to consider what the professionals have to say first. I don't intend to offend anyone, but please consult your doctor before consulting us

I really hope everything works out for you and please drop me a message if you need to :) Diabetes IS scary but diabetics walk among us without us even realising!
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had pre-diabetes but it was reversed with my diet. I ate veggies, fruits, whole foods (nothing processed) and I also did juicing. I lost a bit of weight and after 40 days I had it reversed :) I can't say that I eat healthy like that anymore as that was 3 years ago now, but it hasn't come back and I've never felt better! Good luck to you, it's a scary thing to hear that you have, but you can get through it!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have high fasting blood sugar and my last glucose tolerance test came back as ''JUST within acceptable range". I've just done another one as required by the donor team that is deciding whether or not I'm a good candidate to donate a kidney, so I'm still waiting on the results of that. In the meantime I've done a fair bit of reading up on what foods are best or most appropriate to my situation which sounds kind of similar to you.

When choosing your fruits/veg/carbs, you should look not just at how many grams of sugar in each item but also where they fall on the Glycemic Index...and further to that, what their Glycemic Load is.

Things that come with lots of fibre and take longer to digest will do less of a number on your insulin than something without (like straight sugar). So, an Apple has 11 - 16 (ish) grams of sugar and a Banana has not too much more than that. However, all fruits are not equal. That Apple has a Glycemic index number of 39 which is low whereas a banana has a GI number of 62. Already that apple is looking better for you than the banana. Add to that the fact that the Glycemic Load (which has to do with how much carbohydrate you're getting in the food) for the Apple is a 6 (which is low) but is a 16 for the banana, the better choice is becoming clear.

The importance of taking glycemic load into account as well as the index is apparent when you look at something like watermelon. If you look at a watermelon's grams of sugar (18g) and where it is on the glycemic index (72 - very high), you'd think it was about the worst kind of fruit you could get your hands on as someone with insulin resistance issues. However, because it's essentially water and you're not getting much in the way of carbohydrate in your serving of watermelon, it only has a glycemic load of 4, which is very low.

In any case, don't freak out. Eat your fruits and vegetables. Just look to find some go-to staples that suit your body as far as the index and load go (unfortunately I don't think mango is going to make that list....but once in a while is no biggie.)

Here's a site with a list of all kinds of stuff (not just fruits and vegetables) that you can have a look through to get started. Anything lower than 55 on the Glycemic Index is considered low and anything lower than 10 for Glycemic Load is considered low

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate the oatmeal, but switch to the old fashioned cooked oatmeal or the steel cut oats, sweeten with blueberries and/or stevia/splenda. Eat an egg with the oatmeal for protein. Nix the instant oatmeal!
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I've seen an awful lot of debate on the subject of how diabetics/pre-diabetics should eat. Most of the people that have responded appear to be in one camp, so I'm here to share the perspective of the other one.

I've heard all the other advice for diabetics that's been presented here. I've also heard a lot of people say that advice doesn't work. Be sure to check multiple sources of information, don't rely on just one (even if it's your doctor, remember that debate I mentioned? It's always ok to get a second opinion). What I've read is that following the advice about fiber and mixing carbs with protein doesn't seem to reverse the condition. Nor limiting your carbs per meal. Those techniques seem to merely avoid glucose spikes, not reverse the insulin resistance that causes them. By that I mean that instead of getting a whole bunch of glucose at once, you get it drawn out over a longer period of time. This might keep you from losing your sight, but it won't reverse the condition. I suppose using those techniques while simultaneously losing weight might help. I don't know, I'm no expert.

I've also read arguments that you can reverse diabetes by reducing your body's dependence on carbs. This means a low-carb, high-fat diet.
    So, in addition to what others have recommended (the books and articles, talking to a nutritionist, etc), I suggest you also read Why We Get Fat, by Gary Taubes. He promotes a low-carb, high-fat diet. But, more importantly, he clearly explains the science behind it (including how insulin works, what insulin resistance is, etc.). He cites actual research, not just recommendations from agencies (that may or may not have any research to support them).

The bad news is that if you follow Taubes' advice (even loosely) you won't be able to eat oatmeal anymore. Oats and grains are at the top of the restriction list, right up there with refined sugar. The good news is that eggs and bacon are back on the table.

Maybe I'm wrong, but do your research. I expect you'll find two kinds of recommendations: Those that say you can eat bread, and those that say you shouldn't. Pay attention to the reasons and the research behind the conclusions.

One thing remains constant in all forms of diet advice I've ever read: Eat lots of vegetables. Go heavy on the green ones, and light on the starchy ones.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    First, a good book to get is "Diabetes for Dummies"...explains things in easy to understand ways.

Second, it's not just about sugar or fried foods, it's about carbs...which can be sugar, fruit, veggies, breads, cereals, etc. Yes, sugars have more carbs than fruits/veggies, but you need to watch all your carbs.

Finally, the American Diabetes Association recommends that diabetics get 45% of their calories from carbs, so Custom Set your Food percentages to that, then 20%-25% protein, and 30-35% fats.

Also your doctor should get you an appointment w/a nutritionist, so help you understand diet issues until you feel comfortable doing it on your own. Many people try to just figure it out for themselves, but that's challenging. If your husband has been a diabetic for a while & you still don't understand how to eat w/it, then I'm thinking you could both benefit from seeing someone to really explain things well. But go to a professional that your doctor recommends, usually paid for by insurance. Do not just go to some grocery store health program...the one in our area was completely worthless. I'm not diabetic, but felt I did a better job of answering the attendees questions after the "class," than the lady who taught the class. It takes a little bit to get into good habits & understand things, but eventually it'll be easier & you'll feel better & live longer. If you don't take care of yourself, or just take insulin when your sugar is bad, then they say it's like broken glass in your veins causing damage to your vessels & your body.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Now that you had a wake up call, two of the best things you can do are moderate exercise, at least 30mins 5x per week, and lose weight. It doesn't have to be anything intense, just walking around your neighborhood or the mall for a minimum of 30 minutes 5x/week. These two things are more important than any/every diet recommendation you can get if you are in that pre diabetic category (of course if the blood sugar gets worse, diet becomes very important), but many people have even reversed beginning diabetes with exercise and weight loss. Focus on these two things and reducing blood sugar spikes first (and of course see your doctor), the rest you can try at your leisure, just don't forget progress on those first two, no matter what.
  • aprilpd01
    aprilpd01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I come from a family with lots of diabetes. My mother died of heart disease caused by diabetes. I was determined that I won't get diabetes. Mostly I avoid really sweet stuff, I make sure I get protein every day. I wouldn't say I eat the best diet, but eating more protein and more whole grains (I agree -- old-fashioned oatmeal, not instant), and hardly ever having candy except for dark chocolate seems to work. My blood work is always normal.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options

The only way to tell is to test before and after a meal with oatmeal. I make steal cut oatmeal and mix it with protein powder. There is no sugar or fat added. Even with all the protein, the oatmeal spikes my blood sugar. It isn't too bad, but about 10-15 points above my usual breakfast. It still doesn't go over 130, so I will occasionally have oatmeal as a treat for breakfast.

Because everybody is different what works for one person might not work for another. Folks here can give you ideas based n what has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. There is a lot of trial and error in dealing with this disease. You should work with your dietician to come up with a plan that works for you.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bump...will read later...sounds like some great info.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read links later
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agree with talking to your DR. Agree more strongly that you also do your own research. Research the side effects of the prescription drugs you take, some rather common ones can raise BG levels.

Your flavor of oatmeal is instant and as such is loaded in sugar and carbs, seriously eat it no more, it has nearly all the fiber striped out of it and is so over processed that it digests quickly. The longer it takes to cook the oats the better it is for you. Buy old fashioned, takes just 5 minutes to cook and if you must sweeten with a small amount of real maple syrup, real fruit, or maybe some nuts.

Agree with exercise being the most important thing you can do to avoid getting the disease. Find an exercise that is fun for you and do it daily so as to make it a habit. I have found cycling works for me.

I try to get most of my calories from fats and protein however i still give in to what I like on occasion: beer, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, ice cream, pasta, and other tasty foods. However I log everything and try to be very honest with myself while logging.

Good luck on your journey.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The only way to tell is to test before and after a meal with oatmeal. I make steal cut oatmeal and mix it with protein powder. There is no sugar or fat added. Even with all the protein, the oatmeal spikes my blood sugar. It isn't too bad, but about 10-15 points above my usual breakfast. It still doesn't go over 130, so I will occasionally have oatmeal as a treat for breakfast.

Because everybody is different what works for one person might not work for another. Folks here can give you ideas based n what has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. There is a lot of trial and error in dealing with this disease. You should work with your dietician to come up with a plan that works for you.

I second this opinion. Work with your doctor/dietitian and TEST TEST TEST. Oatmeal is the one grain that would raise my sugar THE LEAST (I usually have it with peanut butter and milk). There is actually some research that it may actually help with blood sugar control because of the soluble fiber. Note that I said "may". Even if it comes in a scientific paper there is no substitute for testing and working with your doctor to see what works for you personally. Just test and pray you're one of the lucky ones not to get a horrible spike from it :p