$%#!@*% Muscle Cramps More Frequent.....

Options
MarliQQ
MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
For the past month I have been experiencing muscle cramps much more frequently, but in the same place--at my sides. So I guess more specifically around the oblique area. And it is not fun stuff to be in mid-stride and cramp up, especially when I suddenly look like I'm having spontaneous seizure. I find that chugging a whole lot of water helps, or maybe it isn't--I dunno, it is just the first thing I do when I start to have one, it could be naturally subsiding on it's own...I just am wondering if anybody has experience the same, and know what's going on. I don't believe it is dehydration, I do drink 95-115 oz of water everyday, so I can much more easily count the days I don't do so than the days I do. But maybe it's not enough? Or my body is lacking something maybe???

Replies

• pigdogthegr8
    pigdogthegr8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscle cramps could be a signal your body needs some electrolytes. I drink the G2 gatorade and it seems to help. This is an easy fix, so may be worth a shot
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    They are called side stitches and they are a curse. I'm assuming they are happening when you are running. One of the things you can do is be sure not to run on a full belly. Otherwise, you can stretch before hand or try exhaling every third breath.

Many muscle cramps can be helped by potassium and/or magnesium.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Muscle cramps could be a signal your body needs some electrolytes. I drink the G2 gatorade and it seems to help. This is an easy fix, so may be worth a shot

I actually like gatorade, that sounds good. I have wondered about the perfect water intake, and whether I am balanced, that's a good start.
    They are called side stitches and they are a curse. I'm assuming they are happening when you are running. One of the things you can do is be sure not to run on a full belly. Otherwise, you can stretch before hand or try exhaling every third breath.

Yeah mostly jogging/running, but the cramping has flared up during other forms of cardio. The breathing technique sounds like something I can try--although it is not an area I must confess that I ever really concentrate on, so that may be the problem there.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Cramps caused by a lack of potassium usually occur in the extremities. Side cramps are usually caused by a build up of lactic acid. Your body gets rid of lactic by exhaling it, so you need to focus more on your breathing when you are running, after you stop, the kidneys and liver clear the excess lactic acid.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/exercise-and-lactic-acidosis
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    I read Magnesium supplements help with cramps, which is prob. why Powerade works, it has magnesium + potassium in it.