· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    · 1 medium yellow onion, large dice
    · 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    · 1 cup good quality cabernet
    · 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
    · 1 can beef consomme
    · 1/8 tsp. cloves
    · 2 bay leaves
    · 4 fresh thyme sprigs (optional: add some minced parsley or other herbs)
    · 3 medium carrots
    · 3 medium celery stalks
    · 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    · 1 cup large dice portobello mushrooms (can use regular mushrooms)

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Trim the roast of excess fat and sinew and cut it into 1- to 1-1/2-inch cubes. Mix the salt, pepper and mustard together and mix it into the cubed meat. Place the meat in the flour and toss to coat; set aside.
    2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Shake off the excess flour from about one-third of the meat and add it to the pot. Cook, stirring rarely, until browned all over, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Deglaze skillet with stock and add the juices to meat. Repeat with the remaining meat in 2 more batches; set aside.
    3. Mix the stock, wine, and consomme together and add it to the meat. Add the bay leaves, and herbs. Add the tomato paste. Bring the meat to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour.
    4. Taste broth for seasonings and add cloves. Cut the onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms into large dice. Put them in the skillet and saute, scraping up any bits of meat until potatoes are softened. Peel potatoes and cut into large dice. Add all vegetables to pot. Stir to combine, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables and meat are knife tender, about 1 hour more.

Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme stems. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed
  • tanyaelise
    Options
    The soups on here look great!!

Here's a recipe for PastaFagioli my friend gave me. Quick to make. Has about 515 calories per serving.

1 Pkg of Spicy Andoulli sausage
    1 Box of Low sodium Chicken Broth (I think it's 32oz)
    1 Can Kidney Beans
    1 Can diced tomatoes
    1/2 - 1 cup elbow or shell pasta (I use Dreamfields)
    1 tablespoon Basil
    1 tablespoon Oregano

Quarter then slice the Andoulii so it's about the size of dimes.
    Brown in Non-stick pan.
    Add to Soup pot with all of the broth and bring to a boil.
    Add the pasta and cook until al dente
    Drain the beans and add.
    Add tomatoes, DO NOT DRAIN
    Add the spices and let all of this come back to boil.
    Its then ready when you are. Top with Shredded Asiago if it fits.

It makes 3-4 servings

I edit the recipe by using two cans of beans and tomatoes and 2 boxes of broth... everything else the same.
  • WGH73
    WGH73 Posts: 1
    Options
    My absolute favorite homemade soup is a Mexican- style vegetable.

I make a fairly basic vegetable soup fairly often throughout the winter months (I sauté onions, carrots, celery. Add 1 can of tomatoes, vegetable stock, chopped potatoes, zucchini, and any other vegetables I have around. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Add 1-2 cans of small white beans and a couple cups of chopped chard or kale. Simmer until greens are wilted).

To make the Mexican version, I add a cup or two of red enchilada sauce (usually homemade from dried guajillos and anchos but canned works) when I add the stock. Garnish with a spoonful of Greek yogurt or sour cream, a few crispy tortilla strips, and a bit of crumbled cotija or feta cheese and it is heaven in a bowl.