Weight training for women

Options
I've known for awhile that I need to step it up and get a good weight training routine in place. I was told 30-45 minutes of weights is good. Does anyone know of some good books with exercises for me? I have no idea where to start. Also, I've read through some posts on here, and some mentioned weight lifting for women vs. men. Some have said there is a difference, other women pride themselves on doing the exact same things men do. What is "better"....what should I stick to? My #1 goal has been weight loss, but I'm reaching a point where I want and NEED to tighten and tone. Please help! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it myself but I've seen from the posts here that the New Rules of Lifting for Women is good.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing as I would like to add strength training into my workout but would like a video that I can follow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting for women
    strong curves
    Some have said there is a difference, other women pride themselves on doing the exact same things men do. What is "better"....what should I stick to? My #1 goal has been weight loss, but I'm reaching a point where I want and NEED to tighten and tone. Please help! Thanks

there is no difference- women cannot build the same way a man can due to a lack of testosterone- that being said the muscles will still react the same way- they'll grow- get stronger- or do whatever it is you want them to do. There is absolutely no such thing as a "female" workout- or a "male" workout.

It has about zero blibity blip to do with pride. It's just a reality- the fact is women's magazines have been shovign that pink dumbbell and "toning" crap down our throat for years.

1.) calorie defiit is for weight loss

2.) weight training is for feeling good-looking good- being awesome- and also maintaing that all important muscle mass (i.e.- minimizing fat loss) so you get that svelt "toned" look you want as you drop in body fat.

That "toned" look really is low body fat + strength training.

low body fat and no strength training just isn't the same- and it' soften times why women are wildly unhappy with their cardio only weight loss routines and hitting their target weight and realizing they STILL don't look like what they want.

Lift. Lift all the things- you will not regret it.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Body For Life & Hot Point Fitness
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    link to another thread from today- some good stuff in here to if you can get past the dancing monkey's

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1265096-what-is-considered-heavy-lifting-for-a-woman?page=3#posts-19728882
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight training for women

Is no different than weight training for men...your barbell doesn't now that you have a vagina...

I would add that lifting like a man doesn't result in you looking like a man...because you are not a man...you do not have **** *kitten* tons of testosterone flowing through your body to help you pack on muscle...even if you don't do the program you should read, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" because it puts a lot of this perpetual bull**** to rest...
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    yep - pick up some heavy stuff....
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting for women
    strong curves
    Some have said there is a difference, other women pride themselves on doing the exact same things men do. What is "better"....what should I stick to? My #1 goal has been weight loss, but I'm reaching a point where I want and NEED to tighten and tone. Please help! Thanks

there is no difference- women cannot build the same way a man can due to a lack of testosterone- that being said the muscles will still react the same way- they'll grow- get stronger- or do whatever it is you want them to do. There is absolutely no such thing as a "female" workout- or a "male" workout.

It has about zero blibity blip to do with pride. It's just a reality- the fact is women's magazines have been shovign that pink dumbbell and "toning" crap down our throat for years.

1.) calorie defiit is for weight loss

2.) weight training is for feeling good-looking good- being awesome- and also maintaing that all important muscle mass (i.e.- minimizing fat loss) so you get that svelt "toned" look you want as you drop in body fat.

That "toned" look really is low body fat + strength training.

low body fat and no strength training just isn't the same- and it' soften times why women are wildly unhappy with their cardio only weight loss routines and hitting their target weight and realizing they STILL don't look like what they want.

Lift. Lift all the things- you will not regret it.

^^^^This right here!!!
  • princessG12
    princessG12 Posts: 21
    Options
    maybe you should add this www.bit.ly/1iVzT3a to be physically healthy fit body