Strength training at home without equipment?

Options
Hi all,

What is some good strength training program/video/moves that I can do without too much equipment? I live in a very small flat. I only have dumb bells and a yoga mat.

Thanks very much!

Replies

• clearlyinvisibleme
    Options
    Pure Barre, P90X, Jillian Michaels
    All are great.. all can be done at home <3
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just do a Youtube search. I do HIIT Kettlebell workouts with my vinegar bottle ghettobell, and I curl a backpack full of books.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you like having a print guide, You Are Your Own Gym is pretty awesome. The whole principle is that your own body weight is adequate for resistance training, give or take a few common household items. I can't speak to long-term effectiveness, though, since it turns out I can't be trusted to work out at home. ^_^
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels! God knows I own that woman nicely defined arms and legs :D
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level. You could do Insanity (High Intensity), T25 (high intensity but also has modified moves to build upon), TurboFire (intense but a step down), Tai Cheng (low impact, mobility). There is also a new video series being released in June based on Yoga and Pilates. These are all at home workouts that use body weight. T25 uses resistance bands in month 2 and they are included with the disks.

With dumb bells you can also look into the 21 day fix, Les Mills Combat (kickboxing type workouts).

P90X, P90X2, P90X3, and Asylum can be done without a pullup bar but it is recommended.

If you are interested in learning more I have done almost all of these programs. I can help you figure out which program would be the best fit for your current fitness level as well as what will keep you interested.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is another equipment-free option. I believe there's still a youtube channel for it.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels! God knows I own that woman nicely defined arms and legs :D

Thanks! Which JM videos did you do? I'm almost through with her 30 DS.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level. You could do Insanity (High Intensity), T25 (high intensity but also has modified moves to build upon), TurboFire (intense but a step down), Tai Cheng (low impact, mobility). There is also a new video series being released in June based on Yoga and Pilates. These are all at home workouts that use body weight. T25 uses resistance bands in month 2 and they are included with the disks.

With dumb bells you can also look into the 21 day fix, Les Mills Combat (kickboxing type workouts).

P90X, P90X2, P90X3, and Asylum can be done without a pullup bar but it is recommended.

If you are interested in learning more I have done almost all of these programs. I can help you figure out which program would be the best fit for your current fitness level as well as what will keep you interested.

Thank you! Here's more info about my situation: I've been working out since early Feb this year, started out with 3x per week at a gym. My gym membership expired so I started the 30 DS, am now on Level 3 and will finish in a week. I'm also trying to run for 30 mins at least 4x a week.

I'm 5'1 and currently at around 130 lbs. My BF% is very high - around 41%. I would like to find something to replace 30DS once I'm done with it. What would you recommend for me? By the way, I've heard that Chalean Extreme is good?

Thanks again!!
  • crys_aintgivingup
    Options
    Pure Barre, P90X, Jillian Michaels
    All are great.. all can be done at home <3

Thank you! What JM videos (aside from 30 DS, which I'm almost completing) have you found effective for strength training?
  • crys_aintgivingup
    Options
    By the way, due to budget constraints, it would be nice if the videos are available for free online. Is P90X free anywhere?
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hi - look up You Are Your Own Gym on google - great progressive strength and stamina program using only bodyweight.

- also look up a guy called Al Kavadlo for excellent bodyweight strength training and for inspiration.