I got news for ya.......

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
For this to work, it HAS to be a lifestyle change. Many a newbie will be popping in here for a quick fix, and be very disappointed. In a month the "OH woe is me" s will be rampant on the boards.

Why is this? Because this is a slow process of changing the way you think about food and exercise. I know, because once I stopped thinking that way, I gained back 10 pounds. That is the good news...........:laugh: because it is ONLY 10 pounds. I had educated myself, know what to do and that it is forever, listened to those more educated than myself on this matter and looked up lots of info.

When things go slow, or when you have a breakdown due to issues in your life, you can NOT use it to stop exercising.

I went from fat to fit to unfit. After 6 months of BS (small stroke, heart sx, closing my office, almost moving 400 miles away, getting a job in my same office, almost getting a divorce, seeing all my good friends move 400 miles away, being stuck at my old desk to 'clean up' instead of moving onto my new job that I so look forward to) The WORST thing that happened to me this year is I STOPPED EXERCISING!!

Honest to GOD, I would keep all the rest if I could go back 6 months and continue to eat my good clean food, lift my weights and walk everyday.

Please...........while you are changing your diet, added exercise just to lost 10-20-30 pounds or more, remember this is LONG term.

I only gained 10 lbs back, but lost 2 years of training by not keeping right in my mind.

Good luck, ask questions, make friends and keep them here! THEY will be the ones to drag you out of that hole when you need it!

(SHOUT OUT BLACK TEAM!!!! WOOT!)

Jeannie

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    So what are your long term, lifestyle change goals?

Or do you have a short term goal?

Mine is to not order carry out for 1 month.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    no more potato chips. they are my biggest weakness in life and I often eat a whole bag in a day. I will allow myself other snacks once in awhile but I know if I don't eliminate this from my diet I will never lose weight.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    You are so effing awesome! I love your motivation and enthusiasm!!! I need people like you to rally around! xxxxxxxxxx

Anyway, to answer your question:
    Short term:
    lose 5 pounds in 6 weeks
    be more comfortable in my skin
    run at least one mile farther
    eat better ( more fruits and veggies)

Long term:
    run half marathon
    run full marathon
    be a size 5 again
    be 120-125 pounds
    wear a bikini without feeling self consious
  • chelsiburnett
    Options
    I want to start p90x and stick with it for all 90 days!! I haven't done it before but I think I am determined to start and finish it!!!
  • PurpleJellyean
    PurpleJellyean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all your words of wisdom! Thanks for writing this post! Great to remind everyone the importance of a lifestyle change instead of a diet. I mean, this HAS to be a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix diet. We have to constantly engage our mind and our body in order to truly succeed. Hopefully one day down the road, we will all be healthier out of hard work and habit and we wont have to think about it 24/7. I would love to just live a healthier life without obsessing over everything...for it to just come as second nature. We'll see when, or if that happens for me.

My goal...to get to a healthy weight and MAINTAIN that weight. I lost 60 lbs 5 years ago without trying much (happened after I left a destructive relationship and moved into a big city where I walked everywhere). I was pumped after losing so much weight effortlessly, BUT, I reverted to my old ways and that was just plain ol stupid of me. Of course, I have most of it back. In the last year and a half, I have changed jobs, bought a house, got married and had a baby...it's high time I be more accountable of my health regardless of these life changes. Further to my goal, I want to nix my sugar addiction (primarily of the processed sugar family). I am trying different things...like putting a small amount of agave syrup in my coffee instead of white sugar and avoiding those awfully tempting chocolate bars at the check out (ugh, I hate the people who figured out that is the best spot to "get" people like me!).

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year and that this is an enjoyable weight loss journey, not a chore.

Jess
  • tryinghard2lose
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am trying to build myself up and this story helps...the last year of your life was crazier than mine...and I just let things go...and gained back 30 of the 70 pounds i Lost..then lost 20 of it and gained back 15....but have lost 6! yea..even this sounds crazy..but i can still see where I would fail..and then recommit myself...and on Christmas when I ate 8 cookies and sooo many other things and was my fullest ever....my reckless ever...I said no I am not waiting to the New Years like I intended...I am making a change tomorrow..and so I have lost 6 pounds since Saturday and am so happy I did...because I feel hopeful and in a better mind to add other things..like exercise..more authority over my teens...and to make the hard decisions I have to make to make me want to walk in my front door. Anyway...thank you for sharing!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ahhhhh, feeling hopeful! I like that.

This is going on my Post it of the day.............I am HOPEFUL!!!

Thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have been eating each day. Food that is delish and filling and OH>............HEALTHY! Wow, that was easy. Got right back into the swing even with a 6 day migraine.
    What I notice is that 2600 calories of crap = 1500 calories of good food.

5 oz chick breast, big bowl of greens and veggies, 1 slice whole grain bread. I am FULL............and my body feels good.

Lunch of 5 chicken wings, 1/2 order fries, 1 mozz stick..........full, and feeling yucky.............even the next day.

Good luck on you new adventure. Keep up the good work.

Time..................it takes time!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Go J!

love it. It's all about changing your assumptions about food and living the life.
  • ETPPaul
    ETPPaul Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I did something stupid yesterday and got lucky that I got away with it. It has been sleeting and icy here in Minnesota. By the time I realized the trail just wouldn't get better I was too far to turn back. Probably worst of all I broke my ankle 6 months ago in a motorcycle accident. While my ankle was strong it was a dumb decision trying to push through on goals in the face of actual danger.

I realize everyone wants to get moving right now and no one wants to be a quitter early on but you also have to be smart.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Very well said. I did something stupid yesterday and got lucky that I got away with it. It has been sleeting and icy here in Minnesota. By the time I realized the trail just wouldn't get better I was too far to turn back. Probably worst of all I broke my ankle 6 months ago in a motorcycle accident. While my ankle was strong it was a dumb decision trying to push through on goals in the face of actual danger.

I realize everyone wants to get moving right now and no one wants to be a quitter early on but you also have to be smart.

Hugs! Goodness........glad your OK!
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    Jeannie,

A great post.

For background, I'm a one-year MFPer and I am in as good shape as I was when I was 18 and that was 41 years ago (ok, maybe a few additional aches and pains but I feel as good, if not better!)

I have one long-term goal and by "long-term" I mean "the rest of my life" and that is: to not gain the weight back. Hey, I've gained it back so many times, I've lost count.

I have one short-term goal and by "short-term" I mean "one year from now" and that is: to be as fit one year from now as I am today.

I've been so lucky over the past year - no illness, injury or other life disasters. I know there are some out there in the future so I'm really appreciative of folks like you who write about how they are dealing with them and recovering from them. My two favorite MFP stories are: people who are persevering even when they aren't losing weight (shout out to Tamishumate!) and people who come back from a life-induced setback - shout out to CasperO and all the Black Team including YOU!

Thanks again.
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    AMEN! It took me almost 9 years to figure this out. :happy:

Congrats on your success! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    AMEN! It took me almost 9 years to figure this out. :happy:

Congrats on your success! :flowerforyou:

100 pounds lost?? Awesome for you!:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :drinker:
    Jeannie,

A great post.

For background, I'm a one-year MFPer and I am in as good shape as I was when I was 18 and that was 41 years ago (ok, maybe a few additional aches and pains but I feel as good, if not better!)

I have one long-term goal and by "long-term" I mean "the rest of my life" and that is: to not gain the weight back. Hey, I've gained it back so many times, I've lost count.

I have one short-term goal and by "short-term" I mean "one year from now" and that is: to be as fit one year from now as I am today.

I've been so lucky over the past year - no illness, injury or other life disasters. I know there are some out there in the future so I'm really appreciative of folks like you who write about how they are dealing with them and recovering from them. My two favorite MFP stories are: people who are persevering even when they aren't losing weight (shout out to Tamishumate!) and people who come back from a life-induced setback - shout out to CasperO and all the Black Team including YOU!

Thanks again.

jeanne that is so sweet! I love to hear ppl say we are inspiring others. I love Casper too!

We are kicking butt in this season, are we not??? :drinker:
  • darknight0dc
    Options
    In the past I've made that exact mistake; oh I'll just starve myself & work out for a month & be thin" but you're right. it doesnt work that way.
    Every time I want to eat something without checking the calories, or I want to get lazy and eat fast food I just remember "if I force myself to say no today, it will be easier to say no tomorrow." because I don't intend to ever eat fast food or get lazy about food & exercise again.
    My long term goals are to stop eating fast food & to only drink water. & to maintain any weightloss I achieve
    I haven't had soda in about 2 months.
    my short term goals are to lose weight & work out at least 4 times a week (even if it's just a walk)
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    Nicely said Jeannie... thank you. This is the kind of story that keep us going
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    thaksfor bumping this. I needed to hear it again!

I have been really sick since 12/31. Now it is tiime to get back in the saddle and use that trainer I paid for prior to this issue.

Forever!! That is how long it takes to remain healthy.

Going grocery shopping today to get healthy foods. Hubs is in for a surprise :laugh: He has been helping out my shopping and I dont think he knows where the fruits and veggies are:wink:

Have a great day MFP!:flowerforyou:
  • foyboy
    foyboy Posts: 49
    Options
    Great post, thanks!

I've been really surprised at the great recipes out there that actually taste good and are good for you.

Eat Clean magazine is a really great source for them, but it takes time and effort. My wife plans the meals for the week and we shop together, and the variety is great as well.

I had to get over myself and actually try bulgar and quinoa - not bad stuff when incorporated in the recipes.

My big test will be coming up when my wife has to go away for a week, we'll see how well I can follow a recipe.

I'll keep you posted!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!