5'6 ladies who've lost over 50 lbs?

Options

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I say I'm 5ft 6 but technically probably 5ft 5.5", lol.

Started out higher than you did OP (BMI 44%) am at where I want to be goal range wise 140 (BMI 22.6%) right now.

I have 688 days of food logged, I weigh & measure what I eat, I pre plan/pre log my food, I research menu's before I eat out. I eat fast food, junk food, am a chocoholic, I don't have cheat days/cheat meals & I didn't have surgery. Didn't really do much exercise wise till I dropped most of my weight. Started walking when I got my Fitbit over the summer, I now walk 3-5 miles a day tracked via Runkeeper.

I'm also a lot older than you are, so your skin should shrink better than mine, lol

Feel free to check my profile page for info/pics.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress thus far :)

I forgot how to post pics, but there is one on my profile page. I weighed about 170 throughout high school, so I was a little on the thick side, but not super overweight. When I got to be about 19, I started piling on the weight. By 21, I was 225. I stayed that way for a good while, probably until I was about 24. To be honest, I think I lost my first couple of pounds just from being a poor college kid that could not afford to eat out a lot, as I had moved out on my own. But the real difference came when I stopped drinking soda. I lost a noticeable 10 lbs. I started walking around more on campus and sometimes walking around the neighborhood and soon I got to 200. I stayed at 200-195 until I was about 26 and I started really thinking about not eating so much fast food and in large quantities. I started a vegetarian way of eating. I also started trying to workout at least 2 times a week. I did that starting the summer of '12. Just a subtle change, really. I still ate cheese pizza, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, etc. I did implement more veggies though. By summer of 2013 I was down to 186ish. I implemented more exercise but still ate pretty badly. Sweets were my weakness. I still ate pizza often. I got to about 175 with the extra exercise. I started logging a little more often, but I was doing the 1200 cal, super high carb diet that My Fitness Pal gave me.

Winter of 2013, more specifically around Christmas, I started following random people that had great weight loss success on Instagram. There I learned about IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and learning about TDEE (how many cals my body expends on its own if I were to lay in bed all day). I started eating meat for protein again, lowered my carbs and practically vanished any white carbs. Upped my fiber to the recommended 30-40 g a day and upped my fat. Since then I have gotten down to 161. During Easter weekend, I slipped up an awful lot and haven't exercised much so I am back at 165. But that's pretty much my story. I am hoping to get to 155 before I get pregnant, so if I gain the expected 25, I will be at a weight that I believe I can still work with and not feel overwhelmed again.

One thing I do find helpful is meal planning the day before. I spend about 20 minutes a night before bed logging what I expect to eat the next day. I make sure it fits my cals, protein, fat, and carbs. I try not to stray from it too much.

Thank you for your story :) congratulations on your success.
    I would like to learn more about TDEE and IIFYM.... Where would you suggest I look at/read to learn more?

I have actually learned a bit by searching around here. But to calculate a basic idea of what you'll need, I would try http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

There you can answer info about your height, weight, activity level. Now the only flaws I have come across so far is that it suggests 1 g protein per lb of your weight. When I started at 170, that was a lot of protein! I don't meet that goal. I also lowered my carbs a bit because I tend to gain lots of water weight when I eat a lot of carbs (with fruit/veggies being an exception). Definitely play around with the numbers, but keep the same basic idea. This is the girl I follow on Instagram that first got me interested. She gives an explanation of how to use the site and plug in numbers to My Fitness Pal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-drOj-xAk
  • Cyndesire
    Cyndesire Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 5'5 and started at 252. I quit drinking soda and started walking 2 years ago. I lost 17 pounds. Then my husband got me a treadmill for Christmas. I started here in January. I walk at about 3.2 mph at 7 incline for 100 minutes a day 6 days a week. I usually do a slow pace walk on Sundays just to stay under on calories. I have lost a total of 70 pounds as of today. 182. I follow a nothing is off limits plan. If it fits in my macros and calories then I can have it. I eat fast food and junk food. Just in moderation. I do not eat back all of my exercise calories either. Everyone is different though. It took me two years to figure out what works for me. I have lost over 25 inches since the end of January. I have a goal weight but I am really aiming for a size. Not sure what weight that will be until I get there. I have a side by side as my profile picture. Before and a couple weeks ago. Good luck and anyone feel free to add me.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 started around 240 and I'm 154 today progress picks in my profile, special things I did to loose the weight were, calculating my BMR AND TDEE and eating to that then eating Some exercise caLs back , allowing a cheat day every now and then , exercising six days a week , I have completed INSNANITY at my heaviest dear lord....p90x .....turbo fire.... and now doing chalean extreme turbo hybrid . I try to mix up strength and cardio. My first goal is 150, then I will probably go to 140-145 so I have some wiggle room on maintenance :) be consistent and count calories and you WILL loose weight !
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 7...1lb from 50lbs...

I started at 205 (I think) Last year in January...I am currently 156...these pics show 40lbs difference...

337cf4fe-0b1f-4ec4-a6ec-d2e551f7d567_zpse8037836.jpg

My profile pic is me at about 160..give or take.

The pic below is me at about 178...then me at about 157...

438efa05-4d5f-4dfc-acf0-793fb050ce43_zpsca173290.jpg
  • pendii
    pendii Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Nice progress already!

I'm 5'6". I started at 222. I'm at 166 now. I went from a tight size 18 to a comfortable size 10. I still want to lose a little bit more, but I can't tell you how much better I feel. I used to feel tired and sore all the time. Now I am so much more energetic. I actually feel younger. I'm 29 and is nice to feel like it.

I have pics on my profile. Feel free to add me.

My advice: losing weight is hard!! So if you're struggling then you know you're doing it right. Just keep being consistent. It took me about a year to lose 55 pounds. And that was a year ago for me. I've been maintaining this past year.

Exercise is so important. Start small. Did the first 3 months I just walked everyday for like 20 min to an hour. Anything I could fit in. Then I worked my way up to other exercises. Now I take classes at my gym.

You can do it!
  • gracie11lexi13
    gracie11lexi13 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump to post later.
  • CMiller220
    CMiller220 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and I've lost 64 lbs. since Nov. 2013. My SW was 220 and my CW is 156. I don't have pictures yet, I'm still a work in progress.:smile:
    I started with a walking/running program until I could reach a full 30 minutes of running on my treadmill. I can now run 6 miles on the local paved trail. I try to log my food every day and stay within my calories. I work out at home at least 6 days/week. A gym membership isn't an option for me, so I run, bike, hike, walk, whatever I can find time for and most importantly that I enjoy. I'm hoping to start a body weight lifting program here soon, but I'm procrastinating. :ohwell:
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I am in a similar boat; about 50lbs to loose but I plan on doing it over the year (a little over 3 months in). I am 5'5" and my starting weight was 212lbs; I am currently 199lbs. My goal weight is 160lbs which means I am 25% to my goal. Anyone who is motivated with similar goals feel free to add me! :)
  • spendthatcash
    spendthatcash Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, I'm in the same boat. 5'6, SW 242 lbs, CW 238 lbs. I actually don't know what I should do with my goal weight. 145 lbs is where I ultimately want to be, but I thought it might be better to break it up a little so it doesn't seem so far off; I set my GW to 180 lbs instead and was going to change it once I reached that milestone. Anyone else do something similar?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Great Thread! I'm in this same range too - thanks so much for all the motivation.
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes! Great thread! Im a bit taller at 5'6.5 but starting weight was 240 and im down to 159! Its been almost two years exactly since i started which was how long i had originally planned. It is going to take time, just stick with it. Healthy eating and exercise are key. If you can keep up with these you will see results! I have about ten pounds left to go and it has been the hardest, scale hasnt budged in almost three months. Honestly joining myfitnesspal was the best decision i made for my weight loss! Being able to look back at how far ive come helps keep me focused on finishing this! I dont know how to post photos but i have some on my profile. Feel free to add/message if you have any questions! And good luck, you can do this!
  • lablamires
    lablamires Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses, you're all doing awesome! Very motivating :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and went from 206.8 to 132.4 pounds. Pics in profile.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5"

I haven't done progress pics for a while so I can't post that.

I have found that slow and steady works for me. I make progress, I take a break and maintain it, then I make progress again. Not all of my life is gonna be steady loss! There are season (like the holidays) where maintenance is a victory!

I started doing dietbet and that helped me stay accountable after the initial easy weightloss. I hate losing money!

I log everything. And I log meals before I eat them (when possible) so I know what I'm working with for the day...

I accept "good enough"

I eat a LOT of fiber and drink a LOT of water. It cuts cravings and bloat! Fills you up.

I pick things that I slowly improve. Right now, I'm cutting down on the sugar in my morning coffee.

I don't skimp on "real food". I eat real butter. Have real half and half. I eat food my body will recognize as food (instead of "low fat" diet stuff). I just control for portions and I stay active. It feels SO much better than the fake diet foods.

I don't worry about fat intake. I eat tuna, avocados, coconut milk etc... things that are NOT gonna fit my macros. But I don't worry about it. I worry about calories, I worry about getting enough protein. I try and not have a lot of simple carbs.

I think a lot of this is about learning YOUR body, as everyone's body and tastes and lifestyle are going to be different. But I will say- slow and steady wins this race! It is becoming easier and easier to maintain because i did it gradually. I don't have to feel ripped off!

Oh, and BUILD THAT MUSCLE! (eating protein and resistance train). It will burn far more in the long run and you will look HOTTER during ;)
  • thegeorges11202004
    thegeorges11202004 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bearsgal9
    bearsgal9 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started at 260, down to 170. Feel free to add me as a friend. I log regular and my diary is open. I started with Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds(You can find them some on YouTube) and it just took off from there.

I love those DVDs!! Just finished a 4 mile walk!! I think I have about 10 of them and they are great!!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started at 224. I have been higher but started to lose before I really got serious in April 2012. I can't post any pictures because I am at work. However, there are some before and after pictures on my profile. Add me, if you would like. By the way, I just turned 51. So, if anyone tells you that you can't lose weight once you are a certain age, it isn't true!
  • Mb_livin801
    Options
    Great job, how did you do it?
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have lost just over 50Lbs and am 5'6. I started out at 203Lbs. I am currently 147lbs and feel great. Still want to lose a bit more though so be really comfortable and have a bit of a buffer. It's taken me a year to lose the weight and the last bit really is the hardest.

I am quite muscly naturally so have always been heavier. I have loads of before, during and after pics - here is one. I have just figured out photobucket!!!

URGH no i havent figured out photobucket!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!