A Calorie intake double check..help understanding.

Options
Hi, everyone!

I just joined a week ago and could use help understanding MFP a little better. For one thing my daily calorie goal is constantly changing day by day - drastically. And I'd like to go over my settings with you.

Well my BMI was set at 24.7 and for that first day my daily calorie goal was set for 2,503. I had my activity level set at moderate and have been logging in some physical activity as well (as best as possible), because I tend to exceed my calorie goal before Noon! To which I believe is due to calories burned. Trust me - I dont over eat, in fact I rarely get that "I'm so full feeling"

So I checked my basal metabolic rate which is calculated at 1, 378. In other words I should be eating at least 3,378 a day, correct? Which is over the first calorie goal mfp even set up for me. Is there something in my settings I need to change or is there something im just not getting? Isnt the idea of asking for activity level a way of getting your BMR? Or does mfp not take that into consideration?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. What is your MFP goal before you log any food or exercise?
    Where did you get the 3,378 calories goal?
    Since you have about 6 lbs to lose according to your ticker and you are within a healhty BMI, it is extremely unlikely that should be your calorie goal.

Also, what did you choose for a weight loss goal? With 6 lbs to lose it should be no more than. 5 lbs a week.

But to explain the change - MFP expects you to log exercise because ven though you chose moderately active, that does not include exercise. That is daily life, like your job, etc. MFP wants you to log exercise and eat those calories back.

"Isnt the idea of asking for activity level a way of getting your BMR? "
    No, BMR does not include exercise. BMR is what your body needs just to survive, before you even do any regular daily activty or exercise. Also, as I mentioned above, MFP does not include exercise in their formula until you log it.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    yeah, im 300 lbs, and my calorie goal is 2,000, unless I work out then they want me to eat back my calories burned... there is something wrong, Im not sure what exactly though.
  • pisces_eyes
    pisces_eyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning

My first daily goal when I logged in a week ago was 2,503 tomorrow's daily goal is 1,680.

I was 144lbs and my weight goal is 135lbs.

I got the 3,378 calories from taking the minimum requirement (2,000) and adding my BMR (1,378). If I only went of the minimum requirement without taking into consideration of calories burned then I would only be getting 622 calories in.

I work from home so the exercise I log in is the same as the activity level I choose. Should I stop logging in exercise then?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning

My first daily goal when I logged in a week ago was 2,503 tomorrow's daily goal is 1,680.

I got the 3,378 calories from taking the minimum requirement (2,000) and adding my BMR (1,378). If I only went of the minimum requirement without taking into consideration of calories burned then I would only be getting 622 calories in.

I work from home so the exercise I log in is the same as the activity level I choose. Should I stop logging in exercise then?

If you are using MFP method then you just put your stats in and set it for one pound per week loss. then, if you exercise you want to make sure that you net what MFP says you should eat. For example, MFP gives you a calorie goal of 200, you burn 200 with exercise so you eat 2200 - 200 burned = 2000 net calories for the day ..

why are you adding your BMR back in????
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You're not suppose to add your BMR to your calorie goal, and be careful with your daily activity level. If you're at moderate chances are you shouldn't be adding activity.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the minimum requirement of 2000 is also confusing me, I have my goal at 1750 and I weight 60 pounds more than you.
  • thedecuirs
    thedecuirs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally, having my calorie budget adjust every day is annoying. I set my calorie goal at the calories required to maintain my goal weight, then I only log exercise before bed and do not attempt to eat those additional calories.

For example: 135 lbs x 11 (for sedentary person) = 1485 daily calorie goal. Then anything you do physically would just add to your weight loss.... just be careful to keep that loss within safe parameters.

Good luck!

P.S. I just noticed my ticker for first time... I don't know why, but it doesn't show my actual loss of 23 pounds.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Set your goal at half a lb a week. 1llb is to much with so little to lose. Set daily activity level sedentary, lightly active, whatever you think fits. Mine is sedentary, I work in a store and I sit a lot.
    Mfp sets calories based on this. That is what you eat. Mfp has taken your bmr and added to it for you, according to the activity level you gave it.
    If you do extra exercise and log it, mfp adds this to your total. You should now eat to your new total.
    This is referred to as eating back exercise calories.
    Be careful to log exercise and food correctly. Drink lots of water. And be patient. :-)
  • pisces_eyes
    Options
    I wasnt adding my BMR to my calorie goal, just the 2,000 calorie limit of the average diet like on food labels. To explain that if I distanttake it into consideration id only be getting 622 calories a day, and if I do take it into consideration id be going over the recommended amount. In other words I wasnt sure if BMR was calculated into the standard 2,000, nor was I sure if it was calculated into MFP daily goal.

I will take both BMR and exercise out of the equation. But what's odd to me is that I will either be exceeded my goal or starving everyday.
  • pisces_eyes
    Options
    Thank you Jackie that makes a lot of sense!! :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    AAAAAaaaaaaah. Forget that 2000 calorie thing. The FDA has no idea how tall or how active you are, and so they list 2000 calories as the "average" diet. For each of us, individually, it will be somewhere between 1200 and...errr...I've seen people eat as much as 3500 calories per day if they were hardcore athletes.

For your own caloric intake, there is BMR, which is the base metabolic rate. This is how many calories your body would burn just to keep you alive, if, for instance, you were in a coma and didn't move.

Then there's your TDEE...this is how many calories your body burns on an average day, taking into account your average activity level in your day-to-day activities. It includes your BMR, plus the extra calories you burn at work, your leisure activities, etc. So, for example, if you were a waitress you would burn more calories at work than if you were a copy editor sitting at a desk all day. If you run around with your kids all evening, you'd burn more than if you sat on the couch and watched TV all evening.

Your goal should be set something like this: Either put your info into MFP and let it set your goal for you, or go find a TDEE calculator, get your TDEE, and subtract something like 10%, or 500 calories, making sure that you never dip below 1200. That should be your goal.

The 500 calories is arrived at by this: a pound is 3500 calories, so if you want to lose a pound in a week, you should eat 500 calories less per day than you burn. That puts you at -3500 calories after 7 days. The 10% is often more useful for larger people, because 500 calories is a smaller percentage of their TDEE, and larger people are able to lose weight faster.

Now, when you exercise, you log the exercise into MFP and you can eat those calories back. So, for example, if your goal is 1400 calories and you burn another 200 calories doing cardio, then you can eat 1600 calories for the day. Your goal of 1400 calories in this example is already taking a deficit into consideration, so there's no need to make the deficit even bigger by not eating your burned exercise calories.

Does that make sense?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning

MFP does all the math for you. It already factors in BMR along with daily activity (as mentioned, exercise is not included at this point).

Your goal changed because your weight changed, although I am wondering if something else changed to, 10 lbs shouldn't be that big of a difference.

The 2000 calories a day is an "average" for women to maintain weight. It doesn't really factor in and doesn't really represent well. Some women need more, some less. It also accounts for BMR.

If your goal is 1680, you are supposed to eat at least that, everyday. On days you exercise you are supposed to log it and eat at least a portion of it back (since there can be an issue with estimation, some people choose to eat 75% or even 50% back). So if you burn 200 calorie you actually eat 1880 calories that day.

"I work from home so the exercise I log in is the same as the activity level I choose. Should I stop logging in exercise then?"
    No, you should change your activity level. As I explained, MPF's activity levels do not account for exercise. Choose the activity level that best describes you on a day you do not exercise. Keep in mind very few people are sedentary so even if you have a desk type job, lightly active might be a better option.

My suggestion - let MFP do the math. Go through your set up again (go to Home> Goals> Change Goals > Guided) put in all your current information, choose the activity level that describes your daily life without exercise, choose .5lb a week. That is your calorie goal. On days you exercise, log the exercise and eat at least a portion of them back.

Here is a good link that explains a lot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You are making this WAY too complicated.

Forget the 2000 calories. That's just an average, and aside from that it's an average for maintenance, not for weight loss.

Put your stats into MFP correctly. Tell it you want to lose half a pound per week. Set your activity level correctly (don't choose sedentary if you think you're lightly active). Then eat the amount MFP tells you, plus half of whatever you burn through exercise.

Make sure you're logging accurately, with a food scale if possible, and readjust in 4 weeks if needed based on your results.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Forget the 2000 calories. That's just an average, and aside from that it's an average for maintenance, not for weight loss.

Put your stats into MFP correctly. Tell it you want to lose half a pound per week. Set your activity level correctly (don't choose sedentary if you think you're lightly active). Then eat the amount MFP tells you, plus half of whatever you burn through exercise.

Make sure you're logging accurately, with a food scale if possible, and readjust in 4 weeks if needed based on your results.

(in deference to people annoyed by the use of "^^THIS") ^^That
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This. Especially the bolded. Put your stats in..follow the directions and use the tool as it is meant to be used.