Normal, Overweight, Obese... (pic)

Options
Ok, I'm just trying to wrap my head around a few things here.. I calculated my BMI today, I am at 31.4. Which I am sure most of you are aware is "obese" What I am wondering I guess, is why is there such a big difference between what numbers consider obese, and what the world considers obese. I googled "obese woman" and was shocked by the images that came up. I hope I don't offend anyone with that, as that is not at all my intention. It is just not a word I ever though would be used to describe me.

Anyway, here is a shot of me. Am I obese? and is that as bad a thing as it is made to seem?

I am 5'4" and 183lbs

33ec8492-4703-4096-9702-be07083a89b1_zps4feb52e8.jpg

Replies

• chuck211
    chuck211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The BMI formula is flawed
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Health-wise, perhaps. I would not look at you and think of the word "obese." I think it's not a good thing for your health to be obese, and overweight in general. Is it bad in the sense of self? Absolutely not! It doesn't make you a bad person or any less worthy of anything anyone else is entitled to. At the end of the day, it's just a label. Being happy and ultimately healthy (if that's what makes you happy) is the most important thing :)
  • Eloira
    Eloira Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You are NOT obese, the problem with bmi and I'm sure others will avree, is it doesn't take muscle weight. When bmi first came into our lives it was all over the news for saying a 10 year old girl was morbidly obese (she was skinny)
    Focus on how you feel, and how you believe yourself to look :) xx
  • mini9184
    mini9184 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's probably not good for your health to be this heavy but i certainly wouldn't say you are obese from the picture
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to remember that there is a clinical definition and a vernacular definition. The vernacular (our societal norm) for the term "obese", usually applies to people that would actually be considered, clinically speaking, morbidly obese or even super obese. We tend to generalize and throw lots of labels around so we end up surprised when we actually find out that things aren't as cut and dry as we originally thought. :)
  • brrraley
    brrraley Posts: 8
    Options
    I know it isn't good for my health, that is why I am here, and doing something about it :)

I don't think I am in shape or anything, was just shocking to see the word obese I guess.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8, 168lbs and the BMI chart has me overweight.
    BMI is flawed as it takes into account your overall mass (including muscle)

Take this news story from the UK recently:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/26/a-picture-of-obesity-nhs-tells-bodybuilder-she-must-lose-weight-and-exercise-more-4679903/
  • brrraley
    brrraley Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8, 168lbs and the BMI chart has me overweight.
    BMI is flawed as it takes into account your overall mass (including muscle)

Take this news story from the UK recently:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/26/a-picture-of-obesity-nhs-tells-bodybuilder-she-must-lose-weight-and-exercise-more-4679903/

Wow, it's one thing for the numbers to say it, but for a nurse to say it right to her face?? Wow. she must have been able to see that she was muscular.. ridiculous!
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The thing is, BMI is flawed for outliers...people who are either extremely tall, extremely short, or extremely fit with a low bodyfat to muscle ratio. For regular people, while not specific enough, it does give a very general idea of health.

There is a clinical definition of "obese" which has nothing to do with our cultural perception of obesity. If your BMI is over 30, then unless you're an outlier as previously mentioned, then you are, indeed, clinically obese.

But does that matter? Does having a medical label that is different than the one you thought make a difference? Do you really care if your doc writes down "obese" instead of "overweight?" I mean, obviously you want to do something about the overall problem, or you wouldn't be here. But the overall problem isn't the label, so why sweat it?
  • amandastephens9003
    amandastephens9003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a doctor that I am Obese.
    I weigh between 154-157 pounds
    I am 4'11.....

But whatever.... I have high bp, and yes my back hurts from the weight on my tummy.... but I am trying to change!
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Body mass is body mass, it doesnt matter if its muscle or fat, to much of it isnt good for your health. You might not like it (I know I dont) but the bmi doesn't lie.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    BMI is a blunt tool that doesn't take into account body composition. It is the ratio between your weight and your height, so body builders are often regarded as clinically obese but as we know often don't have scrap of fat on them!

However, for Mr & Mrs Average it is a good pointer.

BUT, we live in an obese world where we have got used to seeing larger people around. To our mind, this becomes the norm so only the morbidly- and super-obese stand out from the crowd, and the obese of the 1920's become the norm.

What is more important is how you feel about yourself and what you see in the mirror. Work toward that goal rather than the numbers on arbitrary scales and charts and it makes more sense!
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love you for supporting this KerryJane79.

I just hope the NHS bucks up their ideas when it comes to BMI. Its insane that athletes get considered Obese because of muscle mass.

I imagine most athletes stick to advice from their trainers and not from a nurse although it is a bit hard to 'unhear' their comments.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Body mass is body mass, it doesnt matter if its muscle or fat, to much of it isnt good for your health. You might not like it (I know I dont) but the bmi doesn't lie.

Complete Derp.

I have a healthy body fat percentage, waist to hip ratio, waist to height ratio, and vitals. So what's wrong with having a lot of lean mass? Hmmm.

Many athletes are overweight according to BMI charts. When I reach 20% bodyfat, I will be 155 on the BMI chart, which will still be overweight according to BMI. For women, 20% BF is highly desirable and really anything under 30 is decent for a woman of my age.

What's the upside to losing lean mass if I'm not engaging in an activity with weight classes?
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh Hun, you are a beautiful girl and not what I would class as "Obese" - whatever that word means.

The BMI model is particularly severe and not accurate for determining health based on weight x
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Complete Derp.

I have a healthy body fat percentage, waist to hip ratio, waist to height ratio, and vitals. So what's wrong with having a lot of lean mass? Hmmm.

Many athletes are overweight according to BMI charts. When I reach 20% bodyfat, I will be 155 on the BMI chart, which will still be overweight according to BMI. For women, 20% BF is highly desirable and really anything under 30 is decent for a woman of my age.

What's the upside to losing lean mass if I'm not engaging in an activity with weight classes?

The upside is a longer life. Studies have shown smaller people that just eat less and dont do a lot of hard exercise do live longer. That being said, I do lift weights that most people would call very heavy and I do have a low body fat % about 10-12%. I would like to think of myself as a bodybuilder and my bmi can be around 25-26 and yes that would make me overweight. I still dont think the bmi is wrong, I dont like it but the numbers and stats dont lie. I would probably live a few years longer if I dropped some of my muscle mass.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In.

OP, your body structure holds weight well. I wouldn't look at you and think obese.