Is this smoothie healthy?

Options
Today has been an odd but good day for me food wise. I had my normal breakfast but tossed a smoothie in before work. Felt full until about 10 minutes before work meal break [usually have had to have a snack after being at work 2 hours due to hunger pangs]. Then I had 2 sandwiches I made at home [whole wheat bread, chicken deli slices, and olive oil kraft mayo] and felt stuffed after, which is rare for a "small meal" like that. Only have 2 hours left to work and usually have a snack about now but don't feel hungry for it.

Total I've only eaten 1,092 calories today. What the heck was in that smoothie that did this? Anyway here's the smoothie. Is it healthy, is it good for someone wanting to loose some weight? The sugar content makes me question these things.

Dole - Bananas, 1 banana
Hershey's Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened Powder, 1 tbsp
Kwik Trip Natures Touch - Vit A&D 1% Low Fat Milk, 0.5 cup
Wild Roots - Milled Golden Flax Seed, 1 Tbsp (13g)
Oikos (Dannon) - Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt - Plain Greek Yogurt, 0.25 cup
Honey - Clover, 0.5 Tablespoon (21g)

Relevant Totals:
Sugar = 30
Sodium = 85
Protein = 14
Fat = 4
Carbs = 50
Calories = 260

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me but I wouldn't add the honey. Unless I am using local honey to treat my allergies I rarely include added sugars. Bananas are sweet enough for me. But that is a personal preference. That said, would not turn this smoothie down. I might even make one tomorrow (sans honey and using almond/cashew milk).

Did you calculate the fiber? It should have a filling bit thanks to the banana and flax.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious. I don't have the honey and I only have the plain yogurt but this might be breakfast tomorrow! Blended up with some ice to make it crisp and delicious. Complete with unsweetened chocolate almond milk. Yum. :D
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Looks like the banana would give 4g of fiber and the flaxseed would be 2g for the 1tbsp i put in it. Maybe i'll put 2tbsp in it next time and see if there's a difference. I know the smoothie has a good amount of protein too.

I do plan to use almond milk once I have some on hand again. I prefer the unsweetened almond milk hands down to normal milk.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    " is it good for someone wanting to loose some weight?"

Calorie deficit is the only good thing for someone wanting to 'loose' some weight...
  • jbaerbock
    Options
    " is it good for someone wanting to loose some weight?"

Calorie deficit is the only good thing for someone wanting to 'loose' some weight...

Not quite true. Calorie deficite is the most essential puzzle piece except if you don't eat enough your body stores up fats due to being in "starvation mode". Also what you put in your body matters as far as nutrition is concerned. For example if you drink 3 pops a day but still stay under your calorie goal is that healthy? No it's not as pop adds nothing but sugar to your diet and sugar is one of the biggest obesity causers out there [although most mon't acknowledge that].
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy - I'd skip the honey and add some greens.
  • jbaerbock
    Options
    Greens and chocolate sounds kinda odd to me. Any suggestions? Oh and without the honey the smoothie is a bit too sour for my taste due to the plain unsweetened cocoa and greek rogurt.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Greens and chocolate sounds kinda odd to me. Any suggestions? Oh and without the honey the smoothie is a bit too sour for my taste due to the plain unsweetened cocoa and greek rogurt.

I know right?! You can't actually taste the green though - the banana will cancel out the flavor. Of course it depends on the greens - spinach is mild, kale is stronger flavor. Avocado is good too.

I'll also admit I use agave in my smoothies sometimes which is a lot like honey - so I understand the need for sweetness. Depends on how much fruit/berries is used.
  • jbaerbock
    Options

I know right?! You can't actually taste the green though - the banana will cancel out the flavor. Of course it depends on the greens - spinach is mild, kale is stronger flavor. Avocado is good too.

I'll also admit I use agave in my smoothies sometimes which is a lot like honey - so I understand the need for sweetness. Depends on how much fruit/berries is used.

I tried so juice some kale into a carrot juice concoction once. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to only juice the leaves and not the stems. Made me get hot flashes and other random strange symptoms for the next hour or so.

I always hear lemongrass [i think it was] is really good for you. Have thought about trying to throw some of that in.
  • jbaerbock
    Options
    So today I had a riper banana and a different plain greek yogurt brand. Suddenly it was perfect with no honey needed! So I guess I'm slowly but surely perfecting the perfect smoothie ;-) Also upped the milled flaxseed to 2 tbsps
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    this sounds super yummy to me.. gonna give it a try!
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a riper banana on hand next time, try a melted banana. Those add so much flavor! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/11/26/two-for-one/