Best Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hello Everyone!

So I have been getting discouraged lately because in the past month and a half I haven't lost any weight, except for roughly 2 pounds that keep fluctuating. Spraining my ankle on a run a couple weeks ago hasn't helped the situation at all. I still have roughly 25 pounds to go until I hit my goal. Since January I have lost about 20 pounds or so, and have dropped from a size 10 in jeans to a size 6. I still have a pudgy gut and love handles I'd love to slim down.

So this brings me to my ultimate question. I have been doing workouts and logging them, but I don't know how accurate the calories it says I have burned are. So I was looking into getting a heart rate monitor to better judge my calorie burn during workouts, to know if I should push myself harder, or go longer, etc.

Do you have any brands or stores that you think carry the best that aren't too expensive? Your help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• Lahn1969
    Lahn1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like the Wahoo Tikr which will pair with a smartphone using Bluetooth or Ant+. It appears to be very new and the reviews at Amazon are good. Price is about $59 with the Wahoo App being free. It also appears to interface with MFP which is a bonus!

Good luck, stay with it.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT4 HRM. It's very basic, but it's nice to know how much I'm burning and where my heart rate is, so that I don't let it go out of control. I think it was around $60 when I got it last July. I love it. It doesn't sync to a phone, but it gets the job done.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 , I get everything I need out of it :-)
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use the blue tooth heart monitor from Polar. First of all the thing was NOT cheap... I was lucky and got mine for less than the half used on Ebay. It works pretty well with the Endomondo-App (which also syncs with MFP) on my Samsung Galaxy S2. It needs a lot of energy though. if you do a daily workout you will have to change the battery (C2025) at least every month. I hope I could help you. If you have any questions feel free to message me!
  • robertdc50
    Options
    I have the Timex HRM with watch and chest strap. Seems well built, reliable, and accurate. Uses bluetooth to communicate, so probably compatible with smart phone apps. I know it also transmits to the HRM on the treadmill I use, so eliminates the need to hold the heart rate sensors. I think it was about $65 at Future Shop/Best Buy.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I swear by Polar.
  • hillarayray
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I'll start looking at the ones you each listed. :)
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am madly in love with my Polar FT4
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In the last three years I have gone through as many HRM's and am very tired of throwing good money down the toilet. I've spent a bit over 1 grand on a MOTOACTV and two Polars. The MOTOACTV got to the point where it would not sync with any chest band and, well, don't get me started on Polar's garbage. Their reputation is now so bad that my gym will not even offer or suggest their products plus their customer service is very lacking. Ergfo, can anyone recommend a good HRM? I am beginning to think there is no such animal.