Soups that are high in protein

Options
Bety_1989
Bety_1989 Posts: 18 Member
I love soups no I ADORE soups. I am not eating them enough these days because if I eat them, I won't hit my macros. So my plea to you is a soup recipe that is high in protein and reasonable in calories (around 200-250 calories per serving). Oh, I am not a huge fan of Asian flavors. Yes, I searched the internet and I couldn't find anything that I like. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You're looking at a soup that's mostly meat and possibly beans then. Something borderline chili. I don't have any recipes since I'm lazy and don't cook, but I think you're going to have a little trouble as most soups are either high in vegetables or noodles, neither of which is going to get you much protein.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1 cup red lentils
    1 cup chopped veggies - zucchini, carrots, peppers, tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    1 good sized onion
    6 cups water/stock

1 tbsp butter/ghee
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp coriannder
    1 tsp garam masala
    2 tsp garlic paste
    1 tsp ginger paste

Salt and pepper to taste.

Brown onions using your method of choice. Add veggies, lentils, tomato paste, and broth/water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 40ish minutes until tender.

In a separate pan melt butter and toast the spices, garlic and ginger. Add to the soup and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

I like to blend this with an immersion blender as well.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If I want to boost the protein content of soups I either chuck in some tofu (works best with thick processed soups, just blend it in you can't even taste it) or I just eat it with some hot dogs or meatballs

Eta: and of course make soups with things like lentils and broccoli and beans
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I make this quite frequently, under 300cals a serving, 42g protein, 13g carbs & 6g fat

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/mexican-chicken-soup/Default.aspx
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Pea and ham soup.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have you tried TVP ( Textured Vegetable Protein ) It is made by Bob's Red Mill. 1/4 cup ( 24g ) dry has 80 calories, 12g protein, and with 4g of fiber it leaves you with only 3g net carbs. You rehydrate it first and then add it to soups, stews or just use your imagination. It is pretty much tasteless so it takes on the flavors of whatever you put it in. I will rehydrate it in my yogurt then add chai and flax seed.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Buttload of chicken breast and 2 servings of rice.
    ^ Eating that today. Very filling.

Edit:
    Rice - White (Mahatma), 1 1/2 cup (1/4 cup uncooked) - 6 protein (not much, yes, aware).
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw, 250 g - 58 protein
    575 cals = 64 protein + any spices that you may add

Makes so much that I could eat this 3x a day and still have a ton of cals left for other stuff. :flowerforyou:
    Tastes even better when you boil the rice separately and then toss it into the chicken breast as it's almost done cooking.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I think that "buttload" should be an official serving size. :tongue:
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    This is my favorite veggie chili recipe. It has loads of beans and soy. I know it is not soup, but you could put it in the food processor after the fact and make it a true soup. Actually, thinking about that, I may try that myself, because I LOVE soup, too, and am having the same problem as you are in finding high protein ones! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-vegetarian-chili-in-the-world/
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

I think that "buttload" should be an official serving size. :tongue:
    Bahahaha.. 250g = buttload XD rofl
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Im with you ... soups are filling and satisfying but can easily become a rut-type food.

I really like making white chili for something different, more lean than traditional chili yet packed with protein.

Maybe your not a bean fan though? Lots of white chili varieties out there though...
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In for the inspiration.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to quote from there to here, but last month mmerry5 shared this recipe on drocknoel's personal chef free advice thread...

"I make a Beef Lentil Soup that is fairly high protein and is healthy and delicious.

1 lb stew beef (or any lean beef) cut into small chunks
    1 cup chopped Celery
    1 cup Chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    ½ - 1 cup quick barley
    1 cup lentils
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1 or 2 containers Chicken Broth (I think I usually use 1 large container and 1 can You will want to cover everything with broth.)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 can Diced tomatoes

In crockpot add all ingredients except tomatoes. (You probably could brown the beef in a little olive oil first for added flavor, but I don’t bother. Saves time and calories without the oil.) Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Add tomatoes for the last one or two hours of cooking time. Some chopped cabbage would probably be really good added to this as well.

According to the recipe builder (for 12 servings) this has 134 cals, 24 carbs, 3 fat, 11 protein, 3 fiber.

This is one of my family’s favorite meals. I call it “stewp” as it is thicker than a soup, but not quite a stew. This freezes well too. I take the leftovers for my lunches. "

It's yummy! Might be like what you're looking for if you eat meat.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sweet and savory beef stew

Ingredients
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 pounds chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces and blotted dry
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
    1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch coins
    1 cup pitted prunes, chopped
    1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
    3 cups cooked white rice (optional)
    Directions
    1. Combine flour and 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika in a large resealable bag. Add beef to bag in two batches; shake to coat with flour, then remove from bag.
    2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches, if necessary, for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned. Place beef in slow cooker.
    3. Reduce heat to medium; add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add onion and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each paprika, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Cook 4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring. Place in slow cooker.
    4. Add tomatoes and broth to skillet; bring to a boil; pour into slow cooker. Cover; cook for 5 hours on HIGH or 7 hours on LOW. When there is 1-1/2 hours cook time remaining for both methods, add parsnips and prunes to slow cooker. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon each paprika, salt, pepper and cinnamon, and the brown sugar just before serving. Serve over rice, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.
    nutrition facts
    Servings Per Recipe 6
    cal.(kcal)521
    Fat, total(g)10
    chol.(mg)90
    sat. fat(g)3
    carb.(g)67
    fiber(g)7
    pro.(g)38
    sodium(mg)569

This is, hands down, the best stew I make. Not within your calorie requirements (unless you cut it in half), but I bet you could use this as a base and reduce/remove a few ingredients to make it more reasonable.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's high protein but there's some in lentil. You could add loads of ham till you get the macros you want but then your sodium will be shot :/
  • rorae
    rorae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    in for inspiration.........
  • alcrisp93
    alcrisp93 Posts: 70
    Options
    I make a stew/soup thing (it might be closer to chili) with ground turkey and chickpeas that's fairly high in protein. You could try something along the lines of that?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hello.. had this at a party and finally got the recipe:

1 medium bag of California blend vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots) approx 4-5 cups
    3 cans chicken broth (I used low sodium)
    1 can rotel tomatoes
    8 oz velveeta cheese

Place vegetables in pot add chicken broth and cook until tender about 20 minutes
    I use my immersion blender, or anything you have to break up the bigger pieces
    Add rotel tomatoes and cheese and cook slowly until cheese melts

I have used the vegetables totally frozen so you don't have to thaw first
    Makes about 6 cups. Took this to work and have given the recipe out because
    It smells awesome...

Hope you enjoy
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try this page. Lots of soup recipes and links to other soup collections.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/soup.html