Low Carb Subs for Rice?

Options
Are there any good substitutes for rice besides cauliflower?

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It has carbs, but you could try quinoa.

I personally like cauliflower. And a spiral slicer can serve up "Zoodles" and the like.

Or spaghetti squash... I find many dishes that use rice can sub noodles for the most part and vice verse.

I've used grated black radish, I think other root vegetable might work well here, too.
  • tatanisky
    tatanisky Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions; I really just can't stand cauliflower.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Parsnips work, but have a distrinct "sweet" sort of flavor.

Black radish has a peppery bite to it.

Rutabaga and turnips are both earthy and somewhat starchy.

I usually steam them, but it takes a long time for these types of vegetables to soften, so keep that in mind. I've yet to try any in a rice cooker. I don't do this often, but I'd imagine you could pair the flavors of the roots with the dish to keep it interesting or complimentary. And since I know parsnips work, carrots probably would as well (though the color would be odd).
  • njdemp
    njdemp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to grate zucchini and mix that into the cooked rice - you can go close to half and half without realizing how much less rice you are eating! If you cook the rice in broth (instead of water) and then stir in a little butter and/or parmesan cheese, along with the zucchini, it is really comfort food delicious.
  • Anilynlm
    Anilynlm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash in place of rice in many dishes.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Have you only tried white cauliflower? The purple and yellow varieties have a different flavor, still mild, but less bland.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I suspect i am being thick, but how do you use cauliflower as rice???
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I suspect i am being thick, but how do you use cauliflower as rice???
    You don't, it cauliflower not rice. It's like grilling a portabella mushroom and calling it steak. It's trendy and really makes no sense.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Who is this Rice fellow? He seems kind of controlling . . .
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken, cooked and chopped to rice consistency. It makes a great side for baked chicken breast.

13594825431331394678.GIF
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cauliflower either but noticed if I chop it in the food processor real fine that it kind of takes on the flavor of what I cook it with. I'm a juvenile diabetic so I use it to Keep my carbs under control.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken, cooked and chopped to rice consistency. It makes a great side for baked chicken breast.

13594825431331394678.GIF
    Oh hell yeah, IN for all that protein <3.
  • whoknowsame
    Options
    It has carbs, but you could try quinoa.

I personally like cauliflower. And a spiral slicer can serve up "Zoodles" and the like.

Or spaghetti squash... I find many dishes that use rice can sub noodles for the most part and vice verse.

I've used grated black radish, I think other root vegetable might work well here, too.

^^^ She's got the right idea ! It's amazing how if Spaghetti Squash and Cauliflower are cooked correctly, you can hardly recognize the difference
  • fightdem
    fightdem Posts: 38
    Options
    Maybe oats? The carbs is mostly fiber. If you want a low carbs side dish, any kind of vegetables works.