Muscular Quads

So, I have been CONSISTENTLY lifting heavy weights (ex. leg press is currently at 270 lb.) is for the past three months. I am DEFINITELY seeing an improvement in my body composition which is what I am looking for now that I have lost almost 100 pounds. I'm seeing good definition come in and I'm all around more tight. My concern is with my thighs. I do have the ability to gain muscle very quickly and I am noticing that my thighs are really starting to bulk up. I want to avoid bulking up my thighs TOO much. See below for a picture I'm using as reference. I'm fine with having bigger thighs, but I am not a fan of the quads jutting out (no offense to anyone is going for that look). I don't think I'll get to a fitness competitor level in terms of muscle definition, but I can already see my quads jutting out more.

**This is not me in the pic this is just a pic I found in google

quads_zpsaaa72426.jpg

In order to avoid getting the lower quads too big, do I stop going heavier with my leg presses and other quad exercises? Do I drop the weight on my exercises to keep the muscle I have but avoid a bulkier look? Do I focus more on isolation exercises rather then compound exercises? I do want to make sure I'm effectively working my glutes and that I will have good definition in my thighs (I don't want my gains to atrophy), but I don't know if that's possible without the quads bulking up more at the bottom. Hope this question makes sense! Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I highly doubt you're putting on a ton of muscle both in a depict and as a woman. So continue doing what you are doing
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Switch from leg presses to squats. It'll work more of the full leg as well as stabilizing muscles (core!). You'll probably need to drop your lifting weight. Learn the form with just the bar before you start adding any plates. (And don't use the Smith machine, use a real barbell and squat rack/power cage). You should feel it a lot in your glutes and thighs :wink:

In addition, it really is hard for women to add muscle mass unless eating in a surplus. Chances are that you're cutting fat (especially if you're at a deficit) and revealing the muscle beneath. Do you have before and afters photos? (Instead of something from google). Have you taken measurements? The measurements especially will give you a better idea of if you're actually putting on muscle (increased size) or not. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat, so if you want to keep losing fat elsewhere, you may have to accept shapely thighs. Don't eat at a surplus, and you probably won't put on much muscle (boy, do some of us wish it was so easy!!)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Your legs will get smaller if you're eating at a deficit. If you can squeeze it, then it's fat and not muscle.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Switch from leg presses to squats. It'll work more of the full leg as well as stabilizing muscles (core!). You'll probably need to drop your lifting weight. Learn the form with just the bar before you start adding any plates. (And don't use the Smith machine, use a real barbell and squat rack/power cage). You should feel it a lot in your glutes and thighs :wink:

In addition, it really is hard for women to add muscle mass unless eating in a surplus. Chances are that you're cutting fat (especially if you're at a deficit) and revealing the muscle beneath. Do you have before and afters photos? (Instead of something from google). Have you taken measurements? The measurements especially will give you a better idea of if you're actually putting on muscle (increased size) or not. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat, so if you want to keep losing fat elsewhere, you may have to accept shapely thighs. Don't eat at a surplus, and you probably won't put on much muscle (boy, do some of us wish it was so easy!!)

thanks for your advice! right now I eat at maintenance (sometimes more but we wont talk about that lol)

here are some of my pics. like i said I don't have crazy muscles but my thighs are getting bigger and I'm just wondering what I could do to avoid my quads jutting out.

quads1_zpsbc6b3616.jpg

quads2_zps983280b8.jpg
  • dp1228
    Your legs will get smaller if you're eating at a deficit. If you can squeeze it, then it's fat and not muscle.

i'm eating at maintenance now. I wanted to make sure I had enough energy for lifting. I'll try eating at a deficit to see what happens. In terms of my quads, I can't squeeze anything its all muscle. the fat is more centralized now on my inner thighs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'll just throw out my $.02...your quads look great...I'm not understanding the issue. Fab quads...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

i'm eating at maintenance now. I wanted to make sure I had enough energy for lifting. I'll try eating at a deficit to see what happens. In terms of my quads, I can't squeeze anything its all muscle. the fat is more centralized now on my inner thighs.

Oh. Okay. Totally In for this one . . .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Your genetics are keeping your lower body from losing fat at the same rate at your upper body it seems. Still have to be at a calorie deficit to lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Judging from the pictures, your quads don't even look "bigger" from one picture to the other, so I imagine it's all in your head (which is quite common). Are you taking measurements?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    I highly recommend getting a copy of Strong Curves. It's a great program that helps you get an awesome backside, and they talk a lot about how to tailor your routine if you tend to be more quad dominant than glute dominant. Tons of info in there for you to learn proper form on the lifts and work out a routine that works best for your body type. Great progress so far!
  • dp1228
    I'll just throw out my $.02...your quads look great...I'm not understanding the issue. Fab quads...

no issue right now... i want to continue lifting heavy but I notice that for a lot of people who are dedicated to lifting heavy their quads jut out dramatically towards the bottom. just wanted to know if there was a way to avoid that or if it's unavoidable and comes with the territory of lifting heavy. im good for now.
  • dp1228
    I highly recommend getting a copy of Strong Curves. It's a great program that helps you get an awesome backside, and they talk a lot about how to tailor your routine if you tend to be more quad dominant than glute dominant. Tons of info in there for you to learn proper form on the lifts and work out a routine that works best for your body type. Great progress so far!

thank you I'll look into that!
  • dp1228
    Judging from the pictures, your quads don't even look "bigger" from one picture to the other, so I imagine it's all in your head (which is quite common). Are you taking measurements?

i've gained close to an inch.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Bumping as I need advice on this same issue.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    For your quads to 'stick out' you have to be a fairly low body fat, or a fair amount of muscle mass. Your legs are fairly rounded, so you're not anywhere close to seeing defined shapes jutting out of there yet...You seem to carry fat in your legs (no offence, they look great), so I wouldn't worry about it for a long time yet. Looking at your legs, I don't see the same situation happening. Not without a whole lot of bulking and dieting and trying. Case closed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    The other day I read that high bar squats will produce the "bulbous" quads. Maybe drop the leg press (which are similar to high bar squats) and switch to low-bar squats. Squats are generally a better move anyway. And do deadlifts. Actually, do Stronglifts 5x5.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

And yeah, deficit would be a good idea. I know you say your quads are all muscle but I bet there's intramuscular fat worked in there (think marbling on a steak).
  • dp1228
    For your quads to 'stick out' you have to be a fairly low body fat, or a fair amount of muscle mass. Your legs are fairly rounded, so you're not anywhere close to seeing defined shapes jutting out of there yet...You seem to carry fat in your legs (no offence, they look great), so I wouldn't worry about it for a long time yet. Looking at your legs, I don't see the same situation happening. Not without a whole lot of bulking and dieting and trying. Case closed.
    Thanks, I'll keep going and revisit this if it becomes an issue. Was just curious!
  • dp1228
    The other day I read that high bar squats will produce the "bulbous" quads. Maybe drop the leg press (which are similar to high bar squats) and switch to low-bar squats. Squats are generally a better move anyway. And do deadlifts. Actually, do Stronglifts 5x5.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

And yeah, deficit would be a good idea. I know you say your quads are all muscle but I bet there's intramuscular fat worked in there (think marbling on a steak).

thank you! true! i think i worded that wrong... i know i have fat on my quads but I do know it's very minimal. i know my body fat isn't low enough for it to be all muscle. wrong choice of words there!
  • dp1228

Oh. Okay. Totally In for this one . . .

okay i may have worded that incorrectly. i know there is fat on my quads but i know its minimal in the area I was asking about. i don't think this thread will get very interesting for you lol.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Just wanted to add that women are very often quad dominant--quads are much stronger than the hamstrings, which can leave you vulnerable to knee and surrounding ligament injuries.

If they're not already incorporated into your workouts--single leg deadlifts, hip bridges, hamstring curls and single leg squats are all great exercises to work your hamstrings.