Diabetes!! Pre/Borderline/Elevated.... WTH!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had a fasting glucose level of 105 for two years and my doctor said it was not yet in the pre-diabetes range at that time. Now I'm at 120 and officially pre-diabetic. 126 is considered diabetic. I've not seen anything saying 120 is diabetic, as a previous poster stated. Generally 100-125 is prediabetic, and above that is the 'real thing'.

In any case, your doctor should be giving you guidance on your diet so you can get it under control. As several people already mentioned, you can definitely still eat carbs.

If I overdo the carbs I get very sleepy and have no energy. Keeping them in check has given me more energy. I could not live happily if I could never have bread or baked goods, so I have them. Just not all at once.

Good luck!

Hgba1c of 6.4 is Diabetic. We quit using fasting blood sugars as the standard over 11 yrs ago. Unfortunately some practitioners have not caught up. Kind of like blood pressure readings. 120/80 was never normal blood pressure, it was the end of normal. 115/75 has been the new end of normal for 10 yrs+. 120's is treated with lifestyle, 130's with meds. In my opinion, every Person over 30 should check their BP regularly and get a yearly hgba1c.
  • scrappinkar
    scrappinkar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you test makes a huge difference as well. If I am not feeling well, did a really hard workout, didn't wash my hands properly (touching fruit/sugar and testing) will all skew my results. My A1C wend from over 7 to just over 5 by following a reasonable nutrition and exercise plan for 15 months. I worked with a diabetic counselor and a nutritionist.

Wow, your AIC level is that of a non-Diabetic now! That's what I hope to get down to. I'm embarrassed to say that my last level (last week) was 11.2 I know--terrible. I was eating completely out of control and totally downing candy and sweets. I finally wised up at that last visit because I had spillover into my urine and that means complications. Now, I'm really eating much better and trying to get exercise in when I'm feeling well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned eating carbs with fiber and a protein, can you explain why?? I'm asking because I love to eat oatmeal in the morning for my breakfast... Do I need to add something else to the oatmeal or will I be ok with just oatmeal...

Maple Brown Sugar (High Fiber) is my favorite..... Do I need to eliminate oatmeal from my diet????

It would be a start. You have a carbohydrate intolerance. Oatmeal is a carbohydrate.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was told that anything higher than 99 is at the diabetic stage...go figure!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Some of you have mentioned eating carbs with fiber and a protein, can you explain why?? I'm asking because I love to eat oatmeal in the morning for my breakfast... Do I need to add something else to the oatmeal or will I be ok with just oatmeal...

Maple Brown Sugar (High Fiber) is my favorite..... Do I need to eliminate oatmeal from my diet????

The only way to tell is to test before and after a meal with oatmeal. I make steal cut oatmeal and mix it with protein powder. There is no sugar or fat added. Even with all the protein, the oatmeal spikes my blood sugar. It isn't too bad, but about 10-15 points above my usual breakfast. It still doesn't go over 130, so I will occasionally have oatmeal as a treat for breakfast.

Because everybody is different what works for one person might not work for another. Folks here can give you ideas based n what has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. There is a lot of trial and error in dealing with this disease. You should work with your dietician to come up with a plan that works for you.

I always thought oatmeal was good for you...minus the sugary 1's but I didn't realize that even the good oatmeal had that kind of effect & I wouldn't have thought to add protein powder. Can that be found in any grocery store?
    I recently bought some steel cut oats but I haven't done anything with it yet.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Wow... I didn't know what you ate in the earlier day could affect your next day.
    I was told 2 weeks ago that anything past 99 is diabetic, #'s can be so daunting!
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What a great thread. I'm hoping to continue to read it as a reminder of how I don't want diabetes to be a part of my life.

The one thing that has resonated the most for me, is the very thing I fear I've fallen furthest away from and that is this,

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan

And there's a lot behind those few words. Article with that opening salvo can be found here. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The only way to tell is to test before and after a meal with oatmeal. I make steal cut oatmeal and mix it with protein powder. There is no sugar or fat added. Even with all the protein, the oatmeal spikes my blood sugar. It isn't too bad, but about 10-15 points above my usual breakfast. It still doesn't go over 130, so I will occasionally have oatmeal as a treat for breakfast.

Because everybody is different what works for one person might not work for another. Folks here can give you ideas based n what has worked for them, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. There is a lot of trial and error in dealing with this disease. You should work with your dietician to come up with a plan that works for you.

I always thought oatmeal was good for you...minus the sugary 1's but I didn't realize that even the good oatmeal had that kind of effect & I wouldn't have thought to add protein powder. Can that be found in any grocery store?
    I recently bought some steel cut oats but I haven't done anything with it yet.

Some studies have shown that although it does initially raise your blood sugar, it keeps the curve smoother throughout the day in the long run. It's a carbohydrate, so it will raise your blood sugar. Does that mean it's bad for a diabetic? Not exactly. It's a healthy carb that is good for heart health, which is very important for diabetics. The trick is to learn how much you body tolerates it. It's different for everyone. Some people can only eat tiny portions, others like myself can eat a double portion without a problem (rice however is my worst enemy). It depends how your insulin production/tolerance is. A slight spike above what is normal for you does not warrant cutting a food off, but it does mean you need to have it less often than you thought you could, or decrease the amount to one you can handle.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OP: I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I started checking my blood sugars about three weeks ago and found that I am prediabetic too. My fasting levels are always 100-120. I have a family history also, so diabetes has always been something I have been concerned about.

I have read around a lot since then and have started to check my blood sugars every day; fasting and 1 hr after meals. I use mfp to see the carb contents of meals and how it affects my blood sugar. It helps me to have a sense of control, when I am actually feeling so scared and let down by my malfunctioning body. I mourn having to give up all the foods I used to enjoy on a regular basis in large quantities!

Actually, you have a good doctor, he mentioned your prediabetes and suggested you take action. My doctor was more worried about my vitamin D levels and completely ignored my prediabetic 6.0 A1c. That was a year ago, so I have been prediabetic for at least a year.

I have done a lot of reading, taken much advice from the lovely people here on mfp and I have a plan of action. I don't feel so much despair.

I am planning on losing a little more weight (about 10% of my current weight ), lose visceral fat by interval training most days a week, some strength training to help with insulin sensitivity and a low carb diet to keep my blood sugars down.

If all this doesn't improve things, I am prepared to start medication. I wish you good luck and good health.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Check out; :flowerforyou: dlife.com
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    105 is in the "prediabetes" range. My dr did an A1C and an oral glucose tolerance test on me a couple years ago and i found out my numbers were in the prediabetes range, too. He was zero help but I read up on prediabetes on the ADA website. It was really helpful; I highly recommend checking that out so you can understand it better:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diagnosis/

It does sound like you have prediabetes and do need to watch what you eat, exercise and try to lose at least 10% of your body weight. I was able to reverse mine and am back in the normal range now. Now is the time to intervene before it progresses into diabetes so it sounds like you're on the right track by looking to address it now!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    exercise and try to lose at least 10% of your body weight.

I heard that is supposed to work...unfortunately it doesn't for everybody :( I had normal sugars when I was big, have lost almost 54% of my body weight and now have higher FBS
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    eat a bowl of macaroni and cheese 2 servings about a 100carbs and check your sugar an hour after that

less than 120 normal
    less than 160 diabetic but barely
    less than 200 diabetic
    greater than that and youre in trouble
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutrtionist regarding a pre-diabetic warning. She recommended to never have more than 45 grams of carbohydrates in one meal...to lose weight she recommended staying at the 30 grams level. I continue to struggle with my weight though I am still at a pre-ciabetic level. Good Luck!
  • kate_tee
    kate_tee Posts: 7
    Options
    I encourage you to see a nutritionist/dietician! :)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information on here but also a lot of questionable information being spread around. Regardless of what particular number is used to decide if you have diabetes, you have gotten the message that you need to clean up your eating habits. I am a Type II diabetic, and I encourage you to see a dietitician (not a nutritionist). The first step for you is to keep an accurate food log of not only what you eat, but WHEN you eat it. You see, carbs can affect us in different ways at different times of the day. Personally, I struggle with my liver dumping sugar into my bloodstream overnight and I struggle the most with my after-breakfast numbers. Lunch and dinner are when I see my lowest numbers, even though I'm eating more carbs.

Another important thing is that not all carbs are created equal. Or should I say, what you pair with your carbs really does matter. Try to add protein and fiber with your carbohydrates as they can help to minimize your blood sugar spikes throughout the day. Eat healthy fats and lean protein. Watch your servings of the more sugary fruits and get a lot of nutrition from less starchy sources. You CAN eat bread, but stick to a serving and go for something with whole grains that is high in fiber.

The only way to know how YOUR body will react is to test your blood sugar after meals. It will help you to know which foods your body processes well, and which ones might need to be avoided, cut back, or moved to a different time of the day. Every body is so different. Some diabetics can't be in the same room with rice without their blood sugar rising, while others can handle an appropriate serving of rice. If you do want to have white bread, pizza, pasta, etc, resign yourself to taking a brisk 20-minute walk after dinner to help your body metabolize the glucose better. Last week I had something a bit higher in carbs for dinner (because I wanted it, we can't be good ALL of the time). I tested before walking (157) and after a 20-minute walk (122). HUGE difference in just 20 minutes of physical activity.

My carb totals (as an example) are: 15 grams for breakfast, 15-30 for lunch, and 30-45 at dinner. I keep snacks between 15-20 grams.

After a bit, your body stops craving all of the extra sugar (and believe me, if you eat something sweet, it is almost sickening). Diabetes is a different lifestyle, but fearing it won't help. You can live a very long and healthy life with diabetes by testing and changing your eating habits (and adding in exercise--that is SO important).

Best wishes.
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i am by no means an expert or a doctor, but i was diagnosed as pre-diabetic about 6 years ago and once i changed my lifestyle (about 3 years ago) i am no longer pre-diabetic. my doctor ordered bloodwork on this, so I would recommend gettin that test done if you haven't already, this way you know for sure.

i eat fruit, i eat sugar. but i avoid fried foods, i keep serving sizes in mind (always, but ESPECIALLY for candy and other treats) and i work out at least 3 times a week. i think the biggest change was giving up soda. that, i'm sure, cut my sugar intake by about 80%. diabetic or not, we can all benefit from reducing the amount of sugar we have. good luck on regulating those sugar levels! if i can do it, you definitely can!
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I was told that I was borderline diabetic, I went vegan, now my blood glucose levels are spot on. I hope you find a solution :flowerforyou:
  • MsTrueBlue
    MsTrueBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want to thank all of you guys for the information. (I truly appreciate it)... I'm following up with my doctor so I can get a handle on this now... (I've been warned).. However, I've been exercising 4x/week and watching my intake.... Whats great about MFP is once you log in your foods, you're able to see all your carbs and sugar intake which gives you a better picture of what you're actually eating throughout the day.... Again, THANKS!!!

MsTrueBlue!