Fruit sugar??

Options
Hi Everyone
I'm a little confused about something. I LOVE fruit, and i like to eat a lot of it! It's the thing that usually tips me over my sugar intake. A few weeks ago though I read fruit sugar 'doesn't count?'
What are peoples opinions on this? Can I eat heaps of fruit without worrying about the sugar?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Unless you have blood sugar problems, you shouldn't worry about going over your sugar limit. Stop tracking it.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical concern that causes you to reduce your sugar intake, eat the fruit.

I actually do not track my sugar. I removed it from my diary and track my fiber instead. You will get varying opinions on sugar. Use the search feature to read older threads on the subject as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Try the following posts as well. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Foreverfitnow
    Foreverfitnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I'm a little confused about something. I LOVE fruit, and i like to eat a lot of it! It's the thing that usually tips me over my sugar intake. A few weeks ago though I read fruit sugar 'doesn't count?'
    What are peoples opinions on this? Can I eat heaps of fruit without worrying about the sugar?

Although fruit sugar isn't refined, too much will still spike your blood sugar. I am not a nutritionist or doctor, but have read/heard a lot from these professionals. It's best to limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day and 3-5 servings of vegetables. There are a lot of calories in most fruit. You should still track it. I go over on my sugar allotment too, but it's only from the fruit not added sugar. Just my 2 cents, but I would check into it with a professional. :-)
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    i'm low carbing and at the beginning i was a little worried about fruit carbs but after various trials i noticed that i function better with no restriction with fruit and veggies and i am able to lose more weight, it's strange but for me it's like that, and now i'm thinking to do my carb load day only with fruit, like a carb load cleanse . if you love a food and it's healthy i think you should eat it no matter what others are saing. The whole if it fits your macros stuff is overrated, fruit and rafined sugar in my opinion are two totally different things. . .the body knows
  • andy0455
    andy0455 Posts: 2
    Options
    so only a few servings of fruit a day is ok? Also, I use Dominos Stevia in coffee and oatmeal and my tea. Do I count that? I'm a newby and need advice! Thanks in advance.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If i bite it, I write it. I track everything as closely accurate as possible using measuring cups and a digital food scale and or scanning the barcodes with my phone using the app.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I would watch fiber instead of sugar. Besides, you already watch sugar if you're watching carbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    and here we go!

OP - weight loss = calorie deficit….unless you have some kind of medical condition there is nothing wrong with eating sugar, regardless of where it comes from.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Although fruit sugar isn't refined, too much will still spike your blood sugar. I am not a nutritionist or doctor, but have read/heard a lot from these professionals. It's best to limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day and 3-5 servings of vegetables. There are a lot of calories in most fruit. You should still track it. I go over on my sugar allotment too, but it's only from the fruit not added sugar. Just my 2 cents, but I would check into it with a professional. :-)

lots of thing spike your blog sugar, like protein ….I don't see anyone saying limit that…
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would watch fiber instead of sugar. Besides, you already watch sugar if you're watching carbs.

I do the same, love fruit but it always pushed me over into the red on sugar. I decided to stop tracking and now track fibre instead.
  • vivelle90
    vivelle90 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Remember, not all sugar gives you the same nutritional bang for your buck nor will 'spike' your insulin the same way. Sugar from fruit comes with fibre, which slows stomach emptying and hence slows absorption of sugar into your blood stream which hence prevents as large of a spike as, say, a rice cake (which has no fibre). Also, keep in mind that 18g of sugar from candy gives you no/little nutrition, 18g of sugar from a banana comes with fibre, potassium, vitamins etc etc.

I don't let myself feel bad about eating fruit sugar.

Pass the 'nanners :)
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

lots of thing spike your blog sugar, like protein ….I don't see anyone saying limit that…

What??
    Protein gives you an INSULIN spike, without a significant blood sugar spike in order to shuttle the amino acids to the muscles. This is good because it allows your muscles to grow without having to eat lots of carbohydrate. It's the whole point of taking a post workout shake. The insulin spike is what quickly get the amino acids to the muscles In order to repair and promote growth.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

It's personal choice - sugar is counted on your carb macro - if it's within the target - scoff away. If you're eating a lot you are likely getting the required amount of fibre plus lots of other micronutrients.

There's worse things to be eating lots of.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry too much about it at all. just be sure to still log it all though, cuz those calories do add up.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Unless you have blood sugar problems, you shouldn't worry about going over your sugar limit. Stop tracking it.

Worth requoting.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

If you are counting calories to lose weight then you can eat as much fruit and vegetables as you want without going over your calorie goal. I wouldn't worry about tracking sugar though. Change your settings so you are tracking fibre instead of sugar.