Girls diagnosed with PCOs and insulin resistance

Options
Hi all,

I'm diagnosed with PCOs and insulin resistance, that's why it's extremely hard for me to lose weight. I've tried so many diets. I have found that nothing seems to have worked. Since the beginning of April, I've been on a 1300-calorie low carb diet and lost 2 kilos. I'm also on metformin. I didn't lose much but low carb diet and metformin curbed my appetite. I'm wondering which diets seem to work for you?

I appreciate all your help!

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I find intense exercise and a low carb lifestyle are pretty successful for me.
  • sophiemarie987
    sophiemarie987 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS diagnosed 5 years ago in 2011 Slimming world worked for me ! 1 1/2 months to lose a stone only thing that seems to have worked for me I'm on it again since Monday and I feel like I've lost already !

I tried eating normal foods And gym but I only lost 6 pounds in 6 ,months regardless of going everyday

My body basicly turns sugar into fat people say I'm lying but for me it is that
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I want to say, well done you. You are 4 lb down over a month. True, it's not the amount some magazines would say you can loose but do this again in May, June and July and it all mounts up, unfortunately it is not liner, I am sure you see what I mean. Becoming healthy is what we should all be doing. I hope the person who gave you your diagnosis is there for you to help you through your transition to good health, if not find someone who is.

Try to stick with what works for you. I have salicylate and thyroid and may be other things too. I never got on top of my health problems in 30 years. My weight went up and up, even doing the "right" approved of things. Doing what works for me, I have come down loads, I even have times of year when it is easier.

Keep up the good work
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

There is a support group you can join called P.C.O.SIS, the members there will be able to help advise you on what you can do.

Ive added the link below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis

Best of luck!

x
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm PCOS, hypothyroid, insulin resistance.....the whole ball of wax. I'm not on any medications aside from synthroid for my hypothyroid. What's working for me is the same as everyone else...calorie deficit and exercise. Until a week ago, I was just doing some walking with the dog and on the treadmill. Last week I started learning how to lift, so I can maintain muscle. When I started MFP I did not attempt anything low carb. Just went with the generic macros set, made sure the carbs I was getting were not from the group of highly processed one...I stick to whole grain bread, fruits, etc....no white pasta, white bread, etc for the most part and to eat protein near the times I eat carbs to lower the spike. For the past week or so I've been trying to up my protein and lower the carbs a bit, but that's solely because I'm starting to lift and want the protein to assist with the muscle repair and all that.

Everyone is different, I suppose, but I'm not finding that it's really that hard to drop the weight any more than anyone else if I'm careful with my calories and keep my body moving regularly. I've never really given weight loss a true effort before. I am this time and it's working. I'm early into the game, so maybe I'll find it will get more difficult, but right now I'm making progress.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It harder to lose weight but not impossible. I have PCOS and I have had success by lifting heavy weights, counting macros and making sure weigh/measure and log everything. I'm losing between 0.5-1 pound a week doing this so it's very possible. I don't go particularly low carb, but rather try to plan my meals around protein and fat to make sure I get adequate amounts of each, which then forces carbs in line. Do some research on macro counting, and I would suggest starting to log everything you eat, as well as weighing and measuring everything to make sure you aren't overeating.

Also, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I was labeled as insulin resistance about 6 months ago and was taking Metformin but after cutting out diet sodas and the majority of sweets and processed pastas and breads, I have normal blood sugars and no longer have to take anything. I do lots of aerobics throughout the week and walk daily.
  • TiLo0905
    TiLo0905 Posts: 34
    Options
    I could have written your post. PCOS sucks! :grumble: lol. Anyway I follow the insulin resistance 'diet' (google it). Its really about the ratio of protein to carbs, and I also consider the glycemic index...is the food I want a red yellow or green food (how it affects you're insulin spikes). You probably know insulin is a fat storage hormone, so we are legitimately fighting a constant no win battle...but just keep schlepping along! I gained a lot of my weight after years of fertility medications and being on 6 months of complete bedrest with my youngest due to a high risk pregnancy. Im a walking poster child for PCOS so feel free to friend me if you like!

Key take away, never eat anything without a little protein. Think carbs:protein is 3:1

Metformin doesn't really do much for me I don't think but Im on it anyway, my blood sugar levels are actually okay but the insulin spikes yikes! Good luck...it can be done, it just takes three times as much effort as the next guy...but keep working at it! :flowerforyou:

ETA: This was my bible. Good book.
    http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/insulin-resistance-diet.html
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. REAL foods (very little from a package). 2. Lots of walking every day. 3. I cut out all processed sugar. I just don't eat it. It wasn't hard after a few weeks; I go for carrots and peanut butter now over cake etc. 4. Never eat a carb without a protein. 5. Focus on good fats (avocado, eggs, etc.) 6. Metformin helped a lot for the first 100 pounds, but then I didn't need it any more and it made my blood sugar drop too low.

I lost 135 lbs in 18 months and have maintained that for over a year.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Hey,
    Are you taking anything for your PCOS? e.g. Yasmin. Talk to your doctor about e.g. adding metformin to help you out.
    I was put on yasmin, even though the doctors don't wish to label me as PCOS but I do suffer from some of the symptom for an unknown reason, and for two year even after after insanity I could only loose 1-2kg and it would ALWAYS find a way back on.

Recently my doctor has changed my Pill with a view to keep changing it if I am suffering my symptoms. If the pills don't work then I'm going to see if they will consider Yasmin with Metformin.

Speak with your doctors, what we say is our opinion e.g. (no offence intended to anyone, myself included lol). They have the facts and experience of many in comparison to us.
  • solveigi
    solveigi Posts: 1
    Options
    When I stopped taking the pill I gained about 10 kg in a year or so, and it just wouldn't stop. When I started lifting weights (in a class which is based on HIIT) I finally stopped gaining weight, but I didn't lose much. Then last August I started on a heavy low carb high fat diet and CarbNite, eating around 20 - 30 g of carbs per day, except for one day a week where I could eat whatever I wanted after 4 pm, and from August till December I lost 13 kg. Around Christmas I started adding some carbs to my diet again, but still kept away from sugar and wheat, except on CarbNite, and since I have maintained the same weight. I am still lifting weights three times a week and doing Pilates twice a week. I also have a dog that I walk everyday.
    This lifestyle also keeps my PCOS symptoms to a minimum. :smile:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Reduced carb, more protein, metformin and daily exercise have been working for me.
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It can be very hard to lose the weight, so I understand. I was diagnosed with PCOS shortly after getting married and gained 40 pounds. I tried hard to lose that weight, but it wasn't until I got my sugar levels/insulin under control that I was able to lose the weight. Doing a small amount of exercise and counting calories didn't work for me. I had heard people say that when you have PCOS you have to work twice as hard as other people to lose the weight. Don't know if that is true, but I do know that just a little bit of exercise didn't work, I needed to sweat and be out of breathe kind of work out. Here are things that worked for me:

*Get thyroid checked and get it under control (I have a great blood doctor that specializes in PCOS)
    *Getting insulin and sugars under control. This will happen with diet and exercise. Low carb works great for this.
    *Work out hard (I did Jillian Michael's Dvds, Couch to 5k, and spin class)
    *Cut out refined sugars all together

I am happy to say that I lost 30 pounds, got pregnant and had a baby, gained 28 pounds with the baby, and now have lost over 32 pounds since the baby has been born.

It's possible, just work hard and watch what you eat. Metformin also helped me.