What do you do (ladies)

Options
What do you do when TOM cravings hit. I have direct cravings and can eat like a football team. I had a TOM binge last night and I'm trying to recover today. Normally, I would have binged more than once. I am really actively working to avoid that this time. What are your strategies for this?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I work out extra hard, to make sure I have more calories to consume.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Totally relate and still trying to figure out how to beat it.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just plod along as normal. I get in my exercise burns still. I 'try' to stay within my daily cals, but I'm prone to binges anyway. I also do my weigh in before so I know where I stand with fluctuations. It is what it is & chances are TOM will continue turning up each month regardless for many years to come. Sometimes you just have to roll with it.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance cal
    ories. Seems to stop hunger without over eating.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I keep doing what I've been doing.

If I want chocolate or something, I just fit it into my calorie goal.
  • 24lol25
    24lol25 Posts: 49
    Options
    Try and use all of my willpower to fight off cravings. Drink water and get my self away from food if I really feel like giving in. Also, exercise as usual.
  • LetiPla
    LetiPla Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to ignore those sudden hunger pangs, tell myself it's not real hunger cause its not. I think of the story my father told me about the depression in Puerto Rico in the 30's, how truly starving people came to the door of his farmhouse begging for food. It's the ONLY time I ever saw him cry as he told me how ravenously they ate the rice and beans his mother gave them.

Think of those who today are starving too all over the world, make that small sacrifice to abstain and think of them.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I increase my water intake by at least 3-6 more glasses than usual and continue exercise even though I feel blah! I also try to fit whatever I might be craving, within reason, into my daily log. I also don't keep those tempting things in my house. For me its cookies or chocolate. I have 3 kids so if it isn't in the house I can't go get it!
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance cal

This is good advice, I'm going to take it :P
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    I'm trying to work this out myself, but I'm going to try the "evening treat method" Promising yourself a treat at the end of the day. nothing too big, but it may keep you going and even satisfy you e.g. a mug of hot chocolate or a chocolate bar with some milk.

That way I guess you are avoiding over doing it during the day and although it's not a healthy treat sometimes it better to feel that bit better and loose your weight a little slower but enjoy life a little more :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I get ravenously hungry on my second day. It's totally predictable. I don' t really crave specific things, but I am famished that whole day. I try to stay under the couple days before, to gain a little leeway . But on that day, I just have to eat. I usually end up about 200 calories over my goal for the day. And then I can stay under the following days, just even staying under by 30 cals each day the rest of the week. I usually end up even at the very end of the week. I don't worry about it too much.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I keep healthier snacks around, so I can reach for raw almonds (often mixed with a small portion of dark chocolate chips!), hummus and veggies, yogurt with fruit and honey, etc. I tend to have some of the salty goodies too, like chips or whatever - I just measure them out and put the bag away. Works for me.
  • orangebeachgirl
    orangebeachgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance cal

This is good advice, I'm going to take it :P

I agree - good advice. I'm going to try this myself.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I eat more.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have periods throughout the month (not sure it is hormone driven or not) that I feel quite ravenous. I end up keeping a stash of sugarless gum and candies, as well as my favorites teas on hand. the intensity of the mint from the gum and candies helps me resist indulging in excess foods. the act of chewing the gum and eating my candies keep me occupied. the tea fills me up, keeps me warm and also keeps my need to consume in check. no, it isn't chocolate or bagels or yummy crackers and cheese--but it does help.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I stuff myself with as many veggies and low calorie foods I can grab and then give into my cravings. That way I will feel satisfied without going over too much.
  • lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am the one female that doesn't have cravings when it is the TOM :') I only want to clean stuff :p
  • catemb80
    catemb80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    because we eat mainly veggie at home I crave protein big time and find eating chicken helps
  • robin_1130
    Options
    I have read that during the TOM the body increases metabolism and can burn and extra 100-300 calories per day which would explain increased hunger :) if you go up to maintenance calories during TOM it will get you thru for sure without weight gain for the week. I dont weigh for that week either. with water gain and messed up metabolism who knows what the scale will say. :happy: