Losing motivation and having trouble losing the last 10 lbs

Options
I'm 5'1" and currently go between 115-118 lbs, still breastfeeding my daughter, and with what info I have my calorie intake is 1380. The lowest I have been is 113.4 lbs and that was 2 months ago. I'm just not sure what's going on and I don't want to restrict my calories due to me breastfeeding. Has any woman gone through this before? It's making me a little depressed and I'm not liking it.

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is 1380 enough for you breast feeding? I'm 5'1 and eat 1320 and am not BF, which I thought burns about 500 calories.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I really believe it is so hard to lose weight when you are breastfeeding. I know it melts off for some but not me or any of the people in my life! Our bodies want to store fat to make sure we can feed our young.
    I am no longer breastfeeding but am still struggling losing the final 10 pounds. I just keep reminding myself of how far I have come and to have faith and patience. I did find the weight came off faster once I quit breastfeeding though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ^^^ agreed @ lemon snow drop... I'm 5'1" and lose on 1800 cals/day and I'm not breastfeeding.... when I was breastfeeding I was eating the same amount of food as my husband and he's 5'11" with a fast metabolism

if you're exclusively breastfeeding you need to add 500 cals/day. if you're breastfeeding part time and she's having solids and/or formula part time, then I'd take that as a percentage, e.g. if she's getting about half her food from breastfeeding then add 250 cals

but I think 1380 calories is possibly too low even before you add extra breastfeeding calories.

Also what's your goal weight? Unless you have a very tiny frame (as in the width of your shoulders, pelvis etc) you don't need to lose 10lb. You might see the changes you want to see in your body by eating more and doing strength training... (although if you've only recently given birth you should wait before starting strenuous exercise)
  • NatalieCortelloni
    NatalieCortelloni Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My daughter is currently 18 months and eats 3 meals with water throughout the day. She still nurses at night and for naps and comfort. My goal weight is 105 lbs and I have a small frame. I do have 34DD boobs, which suck for me. I was wondering myself if I was in a sense making my body go in starvation mode and holding on to the calories. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it so much!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    My daughter is currently 18 months and eats 3 meals with water throughout the day. She still nurses at night and for naps and comfort. My goal weight is 105 lbs and I have a small frame. I do have 34DD boobs, which suck for me. I was wondering myself if I was in a sense making my body go in starvation mode and holding on to the calories. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it so much!
    if she's that old you should really need many extra calories at sll since she isn't really getting significant calories from you.
  • NatalieCortelloni
    NatalieCortelloni Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually put in older baby 300 calories. And maybe I should even put 200 instead of 300.