Taking a day off

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I am curious about people's experience/opinion about taking a day off from any kind of specific exercise. Does it help? Hurt? No difference? Right now I am walking 6x a week plus water aerobics 3x a week and am thinking of designating Sunday as a day of rest exercise wise. Thoughts?

Replies

• PeacePlantsPilates
    PeacePlantsPilates Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard that taking a day off is pretty important for your muscles to properly develop / not get fatigued and leave you more prone to injury. If you're excersicing 9 times, 6 days a week, I'd say you definitely could (and should) take a break on Sundays! :)
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a rest day. Your muscles have to heal in between workouts.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone above saids ^^^^! You really should be taking two rest days a week in order to achieve optimum muscle healing. But hey, everyones bodies are different! Some heal faster and others take longer. Just do what you feel is most natural.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I should probably mention that my walking is only 1/2 mile and it takes me 15 minutes. Not much, but considering that around Christmas I couldn't even go into the gas station/convenience store for eggs and milk without having to sit down and rest I think it is pretty darn good progress. I have back, knee, and hip issues and at the time (around Christmas) I was also severely anemic but didn't know it until my family basically hog tied me and took me to a clinic. The water aerobics is the cardio and strengthening I get. The walking is to build stamina.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am coming to the end of an entire week off of exercise, haha. I did some walking, but that's it. I'm sure one day will be fine :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I should probably mention that my walking is only 1/2 mile and it takes me 15 minutes. Not much, but considering that around Christmas I couldn't even go into the gas station/convenience store for eggs and milk without having to sit down and rest I think it is pretty darn good progress. I have back, knee, and hip issues and at the time (around Christmas) I was also severely anemic but didn't know it until my family basically hog tied me and took me to a clinic. The water aerobics is the cardio and strengthening I get. The walking is to build stamina.
    Sounds to me you're doing great - a day off a week is a good idea :smile:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I do 2 days on, 1 day off. weights one day, cardio the next, rest day, repeat.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A day off is not only good for your body but for your mind as well.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Rest days are critical for your body to build and repair muscles that you have broken down during training.
    I say this but I hate rest days and have to force myself to take them.