Hate Medifast - anyone else having a bad experience

Options
I've been on Medifast for two weeks and have hated every moment. I have found the people working there are not willing to work with me creating a plan that is healthy and works for me. I was told not to exercise more then twice a week and no more than 45 min. what? Are they kidding? They have been unable to divert from their script and I have felt like everything is my fault, I've lost four pounds and am happy with it and that's with me having a few glasses of wine a week and making healthy satisfying meals on my own, I told them from the start that I was not willing to eat pre packaged foods but would be willing to use bars and shakes to supplement healthy meals made by me. They agreed but are unwilling to help me with nutrition, meal planning, etc, I want to lose 26 pounds but want to do it using a plan that charges the way I cook, shop, think about food, etc. sadly I thought I would get help with these things but I have not... Only "our plan is doctor proven, it does work" I was even told that one guy wasn't losing weight and they found he was rating 15 olives instead of 10 and once he cut out the extra 5 olives he lost four pounds in a week. Are you kidding me? Thats ridiculous!

I have a consultant today and have prepared questions regarding nutrition, healthy eating habits, etc. I'm angry because the discussion I had prior to joining was really good. I felt they were willing to work with me creating a healthy way to look at food, deal with cravings, incorporate a high rate of exercise, eat a good variety of foods and use bars or shakes for on-the-go meal replacements or snacks. If they are still unwilling to work with me I will be demanding 1/2 of my initial fee refunded.

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that you are paying for their services and should be happy with what you're spending your money on. I don't know anything about Medifast but it doesn't sound like the type of plan you were wanting. If they aren't willing to give you what you want, take your money elsewhere. A better idea is to save your money for healthy foods and stay right here on MFP. It's freeeeeee!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    this is good to know because I have been thinking of joining. I did LA weight Loss and lost over 70lbs but when they closed their doors I was lost and stressed so gained a little over 40lbs back...

the think I liked about LA was that they taught you portions...there wasn't any prepackaged food, just bars but they were good and helped with cravings...

I don't want soemthing that I have to buy their food for life...I hope you can get the help you want or at least your money back..
  • jfus14
    jfus14 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster. If you are not happy with their services find someone else to work with. If you are preparing your own meals why not try weight watchers? IMHO they are awesome!
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Medifast works, you just have to follow the plan.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Medifast is not a long term solution. It's an expensive short term solution. Spend more time here, cut your losses there and figure out something you can do FOREVER.

There are thousands of people that have done Medifast and then stopped and you know what, they gain the weight back. It's not a solution for the long term. You could spend the money you're spending there on fruits, vegs, good grains and proteins etc.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Medifast is designed so you eat their prepared meal replacements and one "lean and green" meal a day (basically, a salad and a lean protein that you prepare according to their strict guidelines. No added carbs, meaning zero alcohol.

What you are asking for and what they offer are two different things entirely.

My opinion- you can do what you want with My Fitness Pal and reading on your own about what works.

No need to spend money on or be restricted by a program like Medifast.
  • CherV96
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask for a referral to a nutritionist. Having someone certified in the field can help with all of your questions and can help you plan for your real life( alcohol included). It's a good idea to journal your food for a week or two (no cheating, write down everything that enters your mouth). That way they can see what you actually eat, maybe be able to give you some healthy alternatives, and help you set a plan. Sounds like you are determined to succeed but the program you are on is frustaating you. Ditch em and look for real professionals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The problem with any of these kinds of things is that they're not going to teach you squat about proper nutrition or how to change your lifestyle. Meal replacements don't result in learning anything about how to prepare a properly nutritious meal. These things can work to drop weight, but most people don't keep it off because they've learned nothing about proper nutrition, how many calories your body needs, etc. They probably didn't want you doing a lot of exercise because I would imagine the plan is very calorie restrictive...if you have strict calorie restrictions, you shouldn't really exercise unless you intend to eat those calories back as your body simply wouldn't have the proper fuel otherwise.

I would see if you could get a referral to a nutritionist or dietitian to help you plan for real life, both during your weight loss journey and when you get to maintenance...that is if you are unable to do this yourself. MFP is a great tool and has allowed me to do this on my own, but I already kind of knew what I was doing...I just rarely put it into practice until I got serious on MFP.
  • Mahonmc
    Mahonmc Posts: 2
    Options
    Buy the food on line with a coach... You don't have to go to a medifast location. Takeshapeforlife it the website or forum
  • Flying_Joe
    Flying_Joe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with MF. I maintained the loss for 4 years. The idea that the loss is not sustainable is just not true....not any more than any other weight loss program, etc.

And the idea that you don't learn how to eat in meal replacements is just not the case.

The amount of mis-truths and assumptions about MF around here is staggering. My advice to anyone wanting to do the program...do your own research and make an informed decision before you give anyone your money.

You're so right. Clearly there is an enormous dislike among some site members for this approach - and they don't seem shy to misinform a bit on it.

Contrary to most of the diet approaches people are using, at least this one is normally accompanied by a lot of counselling and preparation around the important next step when we transition to our goal weights. But as with all of these diets, everyone is vulnerable to regress. For me, I have a lot more clarity now about what my food triggers and weaknesses are - which I have been working on with my Doctor. And I have been building my exercise routines gradually as my weight changes allow me - which will give me a bit of safety as I start eating normally again. I have been planning appropriate-sized meals that I like, so I feel a bit more secure with all of this. As for cost, it is far cheaper for me to buy the food (i'm using Optifast) and with its complimentary counselling from a doctor and nutritionist, than just eating my regular food. This is working for me...

51766130.png