Consistent Binging.

Options
Recently, I've been binging at least once a week. My binges consist of about 5000 calories. It's really hindering not just my weightloss, but my motivation and the GUILT. Yet.... I keep doing it. It mostly happens after a bit of drinking, actually it always happens when I drink. Does this mean I should just cut that out of my life?

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you cope? How did you get back on track?

Replies

• lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well,I binged on pasta today and I feel like *kitten* too.
    But I kinda feel that I end up binging when I try too hard to not let myself eat. Like today, I had a plate of pasta for breakfast and then decided to eat just a salad for lunch as I knew that I had already eaten over 600 calories..So,I had my salad and didn't feel full.After sometime,I went to the kitchen to get some biscuits and decided to eat 2 more bites of pasta cause I was so hungry..and then,I ended up eating the whole damn bowl.I think I wouldn't have done that had I eaten something more filling for lunch - and that would have given me far fewer calories. So, I've decided not to force myself to starve,ever.It just ends up turning out to be worse than what I was trying to prevent.
    Maybe that's not the case with you,but I'd suggest the opposite of giving up on your favourite foods - I'd say don't make yourself feel entirely deprived of them,allow yourself to eat small amounts and try to be contented with that.It might slow down your weight loss process but you end up binging,it's going to be worse.
  • NicholasTan93
    Options
    i used to go out and binge on liquor and party as well but it is probably the worst thing u can binge on, it wud be better to binge on sweets and fried chicken or whatever bad food u like to eat rather than alcohol. i cut it out completely and its been really good now, like i train 6 times a week then one of the days i would binge on my favorite foods, i don't feel guilty at all. tbh its much better like that because after a night of binge drinking u wouldn't exactly be pumped up for the gym or ecstatic for some stir fried egg whites with spinach.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal and are you meeting it daily?

How active are you and are you eating exercise calories back?

Are you logging everything that goes in your mouth? Weighing and measuring your food?

I tried to take a look at your diary but it's locked....
  • wimbsie
    wimbsie Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not binging on alcohol. I'm binging on a rediculous amount of food and sweets when under the influence of alcohol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I always think that the first step to combating a binge problem is to figure out why it's happening. It could be something as simple as you've set your calorie goal too low and your body is trying to get the nutrients it needs. It could also be emotional eating, stress, boredom, etc. If you can determine why it's happening then you can find strategies to help combat it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not binging on alcohol. I'm binging on a rediculous amount of food and sweets when under the influence of alcohol.

I have the same issue. I don't eat 5000 calories but I tend to snack more on things when I've been drinking. You can try logging the alcohol and pre-logging a snack to go with it if you like the combination. Just try harder to stay within your calorie goals and if you do stray cut it down to a couple hundred calories. Make better bad decisions to start with. You can do that.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    "Beer munchies". That's what I call them.

Log everything and then decide what to do. If alcohol drives you to binge to such an extreme, you might want to ask yourself why. And listen to Waffle about "making better bad decisions". Every little change helps.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    "Beer munchies". That's what I call them.

Log everything and then decide what to do. If alcohol drives you to binge to such an extreme, you might want to ask yourself why. And listen to Waffle about "making better bad decisions". Every little change helps.

^^^^ This ^^^^^

Beer or Alcohol munchies have been my downfall the last few weeks. Every weekend we have something going on that involves alcohol. I go in with the best of intentions, but inevitably I succumb to the munchies.

This is why I have made the decision, at least for awhile, to avoid drinking anything with alcohol in it unless I am in a situation where I will only be having a beer or two, or I walk in knowing it is going to be lots of food and I just have to realize I will be binging. Know that you can prepare for the latter. First of all, eat light earlier in the day but still try and have a decent supper. Second is to get a really good exercise session in that day. Last time I went for a 4 mile run plus did 45 minutes of resistance training. When doing the resistance training I worked at a pace that kept my heart rate elevated. I burned almost 1,000 calories that day but still ate as if it was a normal day.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If alcohol is triggering you to binge, then cut it out for a little while. See if that helps. If it does, great! You can also try only drinking certain amounts under certain circumstances where you are unlikely to binge. One drink, out with friends, at a restaurant, for instance. In public, where you don't want to be seen eating 5,000 calories in one sitting. You have a good sense of what the trigger is, so avoid the trigger.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try & cut down the drinking a bit?

Do you go out a get really drunk...... come home and binge? Or do you just binge when your a little bit tipsy?

When I am really drunk.. I am starving, leads me to the kebab shop at 3am... : (

If I have a few... Im fine, Come home, have a big glass of water & go to bed
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting it out for a while, to see if it really is the influence of the beer lowering your inhibitions or if you'd binge anyway. Or, and I don't know what you drink when you go out, you could try something that'll take you longer to suck down but is also maybe lower(ish) calories, like gin and tonic or something in a tall glass...ask for a tall glass. Then for every alcoholic drink you have a bubbly water or something next.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    I allow myself one day where i can eat what i want ...i usually eat about 3000-3500 on my day off and this usually includes alcohol...but i exercise pretty much everyday and dont always eat back all my exercise calories so i always try manage to stay under my weekly goal....if u think you can cut out the drink then do but if not just log everything...work that bit harder during the week and earn your day off ;)