Spinning = sore butt!

Options
I took a spinning class for the first time in a long, long time. I've been wanting to switch up my cardio.

So I loved the class and kept up with everyone else, which was good. However, my *kitten* was killing me while I was in class (my butt bones felt like they were grinding into the hard seat) and it is still sore tonight.

If I keep spinning, will this get better? Should I position the seat a certain way to hurt less? Should I bring a blow up donut to sit on at my next class ? (Just kidding but it sounds tempting......)

Replies

• eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't end up with ischial tuberosity bursitis (sit bone bursitis) like I did!!! OUCH! Go out and get yourself some padded bike shorts. They feel like you've got a diaper in your pants, but they are SO worth it. I do distance biking on my stationary bike...and do a lot of interval training. The bike shorts have been a true life (and butt) saver!! I haven't had a problem since.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Your gym obviously has ****ty bikes .. not a problem if you have a good bike. But .. padded shorts are a good idea in your case.
  • kindislave
    kindislave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It absolutely gets better!! Also, try sitting further back in the saddle. Standing a lot while riding also gives the tender tushie a bit of a break. Good luck and keep Spinning!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    get some cycling shorts....

It will get better over time, but even then you should wear cycling shorts; an hour on a bike is an hour on a bike and even if your become more accustomed to it, it's gonna hurt if you don't wear some padded shorts.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i bought a gel padded seat cover for my second class.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it. Give it few more classes. And whenever you start to get sore just stand up, give your butt a break.
  • laurahamm96
    laurahamm96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    After a few times it became a nonissue for me. The 1st time I was on the bike I thought I was gonna die, lol
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It does get better, promise! But yep, padded shorts and/or a padded gel seat cover will help :-)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I took a spinning class for the first time in a long, long time. I've been wanting to switch up my cardio.

So I loved the class and kept up with everyone else, which was good. However, my *kitten* was killing me while I was in class (my butt bones felt like they were grinding into the hard seat) and it is still sore tonight.

If I keep spinning, will this get better? Should I position the seat a certain way to hurt less? Should I bring a blow up donut to sit on at my next class ? (Just kidding but it sounds tempting......)

Cycling shorts with the padded chamois. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT scrimp on quality/price when purchasing padded cycling shorts. I wouldn't even look at anything under $100 as the really nice ones (which make a huge difference) are at the higher price points and a worthy investment.

Also, stand every now and then on the spin bike to give a respite to the backside. You have to ride a lot - like 4-5 out of 7 days for a couple of weeks for the backside to adapt and then you'll be good to go with very little issues down there.

Quality shorts with the padded chamois. Pearl Izumi, Primal, Assos, Giordana, Louis Garneau, etc... all make some quality shorts/bibs at different price points.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I took a hot bath last night and my hind quarters feel a 'lil better today. I think I'm going to opt for a padded seat cover because I do lifting after my spinning class.

To those who suggested standing up, I did that often. The spin teacher was impressed with my zeal doing the #3 position but little did she know I was doing it out of shear desperation and pain!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I got a gel seat, that helped a lot and over time the soreness went away. I want to get back to a class regularly, it's fun!
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    I know what you mean. Why I get dizzy and fall on my butt, it hurts for days. But it is fun.
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started spinning once a week about 4 weeks ago and oh my god the pain is incredible haha! It settles down quickly now, but after the first class I was walking like John Wayne for days!
  • I_love_to_ride
    Options
    Get padded bike shorts. They will save your *kitten*.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    LOL! Keep riding!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Cycling shorts with the padded chamois. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT scrimp on quality/price when purchasing padded cycling shorts. I wouldn't even look at anything under $100 as the really nice ones (which make a huge difference) are at the higher price points and a worthy investment.

I will differ from this slightly. Yes, very good quality bike shorts do make a difference and are better than the cheap ones - and the longer you ride and the more you ride, the more difference they make. The best way to get really good ones is to watch chainlove.com and get them on mega-clearance prices.

But even a low-end pair of bike shorts is better than wearing non-bike apparel for cycling. Typically what the nicer ones do for me is enable longer rides in comfort. So definitely yes if you are going to go on a 100 mile ride, get the best shorts you can possibly afford. But the ones they have on sale for $40 at your local bike shop will be reasonably serviceable and get you through a 60 minute spin class and will be a huge upgrade compared to wearing pants not designed for cycling.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options

^^^ This
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting to use this Jimmy Fallon gif forever!!

tumblr_m6bd7aFK1v1qh0b3jo3_500.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

^^^ This

Eh, you can get Pearl Izumis for $50

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?product_id=1780958