Has your health improved after losing weight?

Options
I am currently 265lbs with height of 5'5 . My eyes constantly swell up, I have a bit hair on my chest, back, stomach, face(which is due to obesity). I wonder if losing weight will get rid of the hormonal imbalance and I can finally live NORMAL. :(

Replies

• Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • NicholasTan93
    Options
    well it did wonders for me in terms of confidence, i guess my cholesterol became stable and am not at risk of getting diabetes anymore. im not sure about patches of hair though, maybe u should see a doctor about it :smile:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    yes my Dr did labs on me and my cholesterol, a1c, blood pressure is all down. basically he told me I'm in perfect health. and on that not, I'm off for a 5.6mile run. see ya.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was running high, now it runs a bit low even though I still have some chub.

So yes.

But I'm not the superhuman hero of amazing health I hoped I would become. :sad:
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes. I stopped snoring, the brown, patchy discolouration on my feet has gone away (from poor circulation) and my resting heart rate has gone from the mid 80s to the low 60s. I am now able to run 5k every Saturday and am doing a 10k in August of this year.

It sounds as if you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome - there are a few support groups on here which you can search for. A lot of people find success with a low carb approach when dealing with PCOS. Good luck on your path to health :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    AbsoLUTELY.

I sleep better, my skin is nicer, my hair is shinier and grows much faster, my stamina has improved, AND I haven't needed medication for my ADD or depression for over a year.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes. I stopped snoring, the brown, patchy discolouration on my feet has gone away (from poor circulation) and my resting heart rate has gone from the mid 80s to the low 60s. I am now able to run 5k every Saturday and am doing a 10k in August of this year.

It sounds as if you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome - there are a few support groups on here which you can search for. A lot of people find success with a low carb approach when dealing with PCOS. Good luck on your path to health :flowerforyou:

Wow! Great job with the running!

You also remind me that a rash I had on my back for years cleared up and yep, unless I'm dying of a headcold, even during allergy season I don't wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm drowning anymore. My balance is better, too. I used to walk down stairs clutching the rail like an old woman. Now I run down with dishes in each hand.

Still not superhuman, though. Grrr.

Edit: And my ADD definitely did NOT clear....oooo add for skin care product!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    1. Blood pressure was borderline high, now it's normal
    2. Some breathing issues during sleep (sleep apnea) now totally gone
    3. Skin acne improved significantly
    4. Chest size went down to a more comfortable size

Wow never thought about this before but I guess in general I feel tons better!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I had high blood pressure and was more than likely a type II diabetic (had a lot of the classic symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes but never bothered to get diagnosed).

My blood pressure now is lower than normal, and I'm only prediabetic now (though hoping to be diabetes-free with my next blood test).

I also don't suffer nearly as much from joint or back pain.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Short answer....yes
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Started out in my journey smoking, obese, on heart meds, was prediabetic, drank no water (only pepsi), fast food at least once a day if not twice, ate no veggies, didn't know what a portion or a serving was and never exercised and hated everything about it....after I quit smoking, lost the weight by eating better and exercising I no longer resemble that person that started this journey in Dec. 2004. She's long gone....and living a healthy more active life now and working on getting those veggies in and in training to do her first full marathon in December 2014...I've come along way in 10 years!
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    yes. After losing only about 7kg my blood work went to normal. No elevated cholesterol or sugar, no high blood pressure. I was a pre diabetic and now I am in healthy BMI range as well.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Short answer=yes

BMI went from 44% to 22%

Was on 2 meds for hypertension, 2 for cholesterol/lipid and metformin for type 2 dm. Actually my BP runs low now.

Am on NO meds and my MD says I no longer have the above issues.

Let alone the fact I can walk w/o getting winded (I walk 3-5 miles daily now tracked via RunKeeper) , feel a lot better, have more energy, can get up off the floor a lot easier too.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I was in pretty good health for being 5'1" and 291 pounds, but it still was taking its toll -- it was starting to get hard to move around, got winded easily, and while I hadn't gone to the doctor, I'm guessing I was pre-diabetic or close to it. I am now 179 and feel amazing. Seriously amazing. I loathe shopping, but now at least if I have to go to the mall, I have the energy to shop around and walk around until I find what I want -- old me would have hit one store and nothign else because I'd've been too tired. I went from barely getting from gate to gate in the airport (traveled for a living so I was in airports all the time) to intentionally walking the entire airport during layovers. I ran a 5K just a few months into my journey even and am going to do a couple more this summer.

If you go into it expecting miracles, I suppose you may be disappointed - some people aren't ever going to have anything live up to super high expectations. But honestly, losing weight means less fat on your frame and your body doesn't have to work as hard, so even if you aren't feeling it at some point, you're probably way better off with every pound lost in immeasurable ways.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    In january, I started out at 290. I'm currently around 245. I have all the bad stuff, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar. I have been working my *kitten* off not only to look/feel better, but to lower all my numbers. I just had blood work done last week. EVERYTHING is down. and not by just squeaking by but by a long margin. My doc was thrilled. Me too to say the least. Next step, to start coming off all the meds I'm on. So yes, it's def improved my health, and then some
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    Wow thank you so much all!!!

I do have brown patches on my feet as well, nice to know that as soon as I lose this fat , problems will go away! :happy:
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Health wise, my blood pressure and cholesterol levels have improved. I have more energy, and it's easier to get around. So no, no complaints from me. :)
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I was pretty healthy and quite active at my heaviest - but my A1C was borderline and my BP was creeping up. PCOS symptoms also. I am only 40 some odd pounds down from that and still "obese" or whatever, but my labs are better and my BP is back down to where its been my whole life (really low). The PCOS symptoms are resolved, though mine were not as classic as yours sound like they are.

Seems like there are lots of studies that show very moderate weightloss (5-10%) and lifestyle changes can improve health dramatically.
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. I'm trying again to lose weight, I really want to be healthy.