Need some workout ideas for at home

Options
I'm a stay at home mom of three, one who's not in school yet. I can't fork over the money for a gym membership and I've had an elliptical, recumbent bike and treadmill, all of which ended up collecting dust (although I wish I had a good elliptical I think I would use it, but then again the money thing). I don't live in town but I do live on a quiet U-shaped street that I can walk on - problem is my 4 year old does not like to go with me and I obviously can't leave him at home, so when I go I only walk it once or twice. I don't run, I have never been able to - asthma being only one reason.

So....can you direct me to some new workouts? I like doing calisthenics and stuff, but need a set workout so I don't stare at the clock the whole time.

Replies

• jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good DVD or Youtube workouts available. I personally prefer Jillian Michaels's DVDs, as an example, and all you need is a yoga mat and a couple of light hand weights. The workouts available range from 20 minutes up to about an hour.
  • krkeefer
    krkeefer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also a stay at home mom of 4 working toward my fitness goals. I am working with a trainer once a week & she has given me all sorts of ideas to circuit with my treadmill (which was only recently given to me) I posted this below link to my FB wall & this is her new way of warming up everyone that she works out!

http://eatright-staybright.tumblr.com/post/7188718242/worlds-fastest-workout-burns-as-many

I just did a pyramid workout yesterday & threw a minute of running on my treadmill between each set. . .it was difficult, but I did it. That one is here:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/66709638204905763/

I have yet to invest in really anything yet either, but I find if it's simple I'm more likely to throw it in my routine. Good Luck!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblendercom. Lots of good workouts there.
  • lady_jewels
    lady_jewels Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do line dancing in my living room.
  • phantomrain100
    Options
    I have done the pyramid workout from Pinterest that supposedly burns 300 calories, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. A lot of evenings I will do leg lifts, squats, push ups, etc, while watching tV but not sure I do it long enough to make a difference.
  • donutman1
    Options
    If you reside in a two story house or have a basement, try running the stairs. You would be surprised how many calories you can burn in a day.

I had a knee replacement that didn't go all that well, so I can't run, but I try and walk them 6 - 10 times a day. It's helped my knee and I do burn calorie.
  • NicholasTan93
    Options
    some exercises to consider: burpees
    jumping jacks
    jump squats
    crunches
    plank
    mountain climbers
    skipping
    push ups
    climbing stairs
    dancing
    walking? it might help
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go to Dirty Donkey (a 5k mud & obstacle course) and found some exercise suggestions (other than running)

DDC #1

10 Super Sets (go through the list 10 x with about 10 seconds resting between exercises)

Pushups – 15 Reps
    Burpies – 5 Reps
    Squats – 15 Reps
    Burpies – 4 Reps
    Alternating Bicep Curl – 10 Reps
    Burpies – 3 Reps
    Dips – 15 Reps
    Burpies -2 Reps
    Alternating toe touch – 10 Reps
    Burpies – 1 Rep

Descriptions

Pushups | Start with your hands just outside shoulder width, place your toes (or knees) behind you. Try to balance the weight evenly between your hands and toes (or knees). Be sure to keep a straight line between your shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. From this position lower your body towards the ground having your chest touch the ground. Once you’ve reached the ground push through your hands to return yourself back to the starting position.
    Burpies | From a high plank position (weight on your hands and toes with a straight line between, your ankles, knees, hips and shoulders), forcefully bring your feet underneath your chest and jump as high as you can vertically. Once you’ve landed jump your feet back to the starting position and repeat.
    Squats| Standing with feet shoulder width apart. Squat down (like sitting in a chair), hold for a moment and return to standing position.
    Alternating Bicep Curl | While standing with two dumbbells in hand resting on your hips with your palms facing you. Bend the elbow and curl it up to you shoulder while twisting your wrist so your little finger is facing your chin. Return to the starting position and repeat.
    Dips | While sitting on a bench and hands down by your side and feet out stretched. Lift your body off the bench so you’re balance between your hands on the bench and your feet. Lower your hips towards the ground and back up.
    Alternating toe touch | Laying on your back with arms stretched out, raise your right leg straight up while reaching with your left towards your foot. You should be able to touch your toes. Return to start and repeat for the other side. Be sure to lift your shoulders off the ground while reaching for your toes.

I think I found a total of 12 challenges. Let me know if you want to see more :drinker:
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I watch Jillian Michael videos on youtube along with some HIIT videos and Zumba.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Fitness Blender excercisises on Youtube and I've lost 44 lbs so far. They have a whole variety. I've never been to the gym just workout at home.
  • amandastephens9003
    amandastephens9003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Fitness Blender excercisises on Youtube and I've lost 44 lbs so far. They have a whole variety. I've never been to the gym just workout at home.

Awesome job! I love fitness blender!
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check YouTube! There are lots of awesome workouts on there. I like to do the Leslie Sansone walking workouts, because I'm currently 8 1/2 months pregnant and cant do toooo much. But they are definitely good cardio!

Do you have Pinterest? You could also check on there. I have a whole board of awesome workouts on mine, that I plan to do when my baby comes.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Check out workout videos on YouTube for workouts with baby.

These are so good because you can use your little ones to build muscle and they love it, they think you are just playing with them. Get your workout in while wearing the kids out for bedtime.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't the 4 year old like going out with you? Do you just walk? I'd get bored with that too. Kick a ball with 4 year old, get him/her a scooter and you run to keep up, Dance with child, etc... Children as supposed to get an hours activity a day, it generally just falls under the guise of play. Get skipping ropes and skip together. Don't say, lets go for a walk, say lets go out and play and do go out and play. Trust me that will be at least as active as walking!
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    YouTube. I'm about to start my Leslie Sansone DVDs again. I am a stay at home mother of 4, one of whom is 6 months so the at home workouts are a must.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Buy a pole ;)

No I'm dead serious. mine is removable-not drilled into the ceiling. Pole is cardio and strength all rolled into one...and it's damn sexy...I've never been stronger or more fit.

*edited to add*: if you have a yoga mat, check out blogilates.com ...start with her beginner workout calendar...she also has a lot of series (Victoria's Secret model series, beach series), etc....if you enjoy Pilates. It's a fantastic workout. Plus she's so cute and perky it's a great way to start your day-it's a very supportive and motivating community at Pop Pilates. Cassey Ho is great.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM also. Last year, DH and I took both kids who were 8 & 4 walking with us. The 4 yr old walks very slow and we walk fast to get in a good cardio workout. So, In laws got us a wagon for the kids. Best thing ever! The 8 yr old walked with us and around the school 2 laps then she got tired and sat in the wagon for the last lap. The 4 yr old loved going out in the wagon. He would pretend to fight cars and birds and say hi to the other people walking around the school also.
    This year, 9 yr old is able to stay home with the 5 yr old and let us walk in peace. :)

Also, I do Tone It Up workouts from Youtube and their site. Toneitup.com
    Hasfit.com and Blogilates.com

So try a wagon and see how your 4 yr old likes it. We even let the 4 yr old take his Playstation Vita or Nintendo 3DS with him to give him something to do if he got bored. :)

Good luck!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    On nice days, you can be the fun mom who walks to the park, climbs on the jungle gym, swings on swings, and slides down the tornado slide. Play kickball and wiffle ball in the back yard. My daughter thinks it's hilarious when I do tumbling moves with her (I can still do a cartwheel!)

It's totally OK to park a 4-year-old in front of a computer game or a TV show so you can do a workout video. Fitnessblender.com is great! Many of the workouts are less than 10 minutes. A few throughout the day really add up. If you have Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime, there are tons of workout videos.
  • AmiCeresi
    AmiCeresi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do 100% of my workout at home because I live in the middle of nowhere, lol. I follow this routine from squats to planks, and I do it three times over to consider it a workout.

Squats (10x)
    Curls (10x)
    Walking Lunges (10x)
    Burpies (10x)
    Dips (10x)
    Planks (30 seconds)

Please note that this was tailored just for me. Your mileage may vary. I do not have any further weight to lose... I just want to tone up what I have accomplished.