Average meal calorie count?

Options
Hiya guys,

So I've noticed that I'm often eating about 800 calories if I have a full meal - meat, starch, veggies - which is about half my daily intake limit. Just wondering how other's meals compare, if that's normal or not, tips on what to change or substitute if that's too high...

Replies

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for me. It is easy for me to do breakfast/lunch for under 400 cals each, dinner for 800, then a snack with the leftover (and exercise) calories. I do not want to skimp on dinners that I really enjoy! I sometimes cut down portions, and use leaner meats (chicken/turkey instead of beef, or leaner beef), and sometimes supper comes in at 500-600, but I prefer a bigger meal, it feels more emotionally satisfying to me :)

I say, if it is working, keep at it!
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Im typically around 500 cals per meal and 200-500 for snacks. Sometimes its a bit higher or lower, especially if im planning ahead for a special outting/meal (like tonight!) My diary is open if you want to take a look for ideas. Easter was really bad, the last 2 weeks havent been stellar, but whatever. With the exception of a couple days in the last 2 week I log everything I eat whether or not im happy with the day so no judging lol
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts and lunches are usually small, since I have busy days. My dinners are often high in calorie, but dinner is the only meal where I feel like and have time to be eating that much! Doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you eat. :)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Small breakfast, usually 300 or under. Lunch and Dinner usually 500 - 600. Snacks range from 100 to 300.
  • anchiel
    anchiel Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah, the larger meals do feel a bit heavy for me - I should probably portion smaller and spread the food out throughout the day. Thanks for giving me a base of reference, guys!
  • anchiel
    Options
    Your ladybug is crawling off your counter xD What do you have for breakfast usually, if I may ask?
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have a really hard time getting in calories... I usually add avocados or PB to fill my count lol mmmm
  • anchiel
    Options
    Small breakfast, usually 300 or under. Lunch and Dinner usually 500 - 600. Snacks range from 100 to 300.

Sorry, above was meant for you! Apparently I'm technologically impaired when if comes to this forum format.
  • anchiel
    Options
    That sounds about right for me. It is easy for me to do breakfast/lunch for under 400 cals each, dinner for 800, then a snack with the leftover (and exercise) calories. I do not want to skimp on dinners that I really enjoy! I sometimes cut down portions, and use leaner meats (chicken/turkey instead of beef, or leaner beef), and sometimes supper comes in at 500-600, but I prefer a bigger meal, it feels more emotionally satisfying to me :)

I say, if it is working, keep at it!

Sounds like that works well for you! How important would you say is it to eat three meals a day? I'm doing better with that now that I'm on a more proper sleep schedule, but if that varies, it usually affects my eating schedule and I drop down to two or something even weirder.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Monday through Friday, this is my plan. On the weekends, though, I usually have 3 meals, 40% of my calories at breakfast, 20% at lunch and 40% for dinner. I eat very light at lunch, especially if I workout at lunch.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually 500 calories. :)
  • JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options
    I typically have a small breakfast, under 300 calories, 300-400 for lunch depending on the day and then a slightly larger meal for dinner; with 100-150 calorie snacks.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Typically two meals under 400 calories each, then snacks that total around 300 calories, and the third meal is whatever my exercise for the day has allowed for the remainder.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Typical day for me is 2 meals averaging 700-900 calories followed by dessert for about 250-300
  • KatDJZ
    KatDJZ Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are usually 200-350, lunch is 300-500, and then dinner can be anywhere from 350-800 depending on what I'm having. Then snacks take up whatever is left over.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that works well for you! How important would you say is it to eat three meals a day? I'm doing better with that now that I'm on a more proper sleep schedule, but if that varies, it usually affects my eating schedule and I drop down to two or something even weirder.

WHEN you eat isn't nearly as important as WHAT you eat. I've never been a breakfast eater, especially on work days, so I usually have an energy drink count as breakfast. I try to eat a granola bar around 9, but I usually only eat half, or completely skip it and end up saving it for later. I eat light lunch (again, especially on work days- I can't work if I'm too full!), usually tuna on crackers, or lunch meat on a dinner roll, stuff like that. At least half of my daily calories come from dinner and evening snacks. It works for me, I feel best while at work, have plenty of fuel to get me through my afternoon workouts, and feel sated but not stuffed in the evening when I go to bed. I'm losing 2.5-3 lbs per week. Every body is different, and if that's working for you then don't mess with it just because "three square" meals is supposed to be healthier :)

My diary is open (though my goal is 1900 without exercise, and I usually eat closer to 2500), feel free to check it out!
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually range 300 for breakfast, 400-500 for lunch/dinner, snacks are between 100-150.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Your ladybug is crawling off your counter xD What do you have for breakfast usually, if I may ask?

I usually have a banana and a whey protein powder drink. On weekends I'll have a costco breakfast sandwich and a banana.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Most meals are 200. Snacks/tea are usually ~100. Meals and snacking happen ~12 times a day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My main evening meal varies from day to day, but is generally between 600 and 800 calories.
    My other meals are around 300-400 calories.