Autoimmune Disease and Diet

Options
For those of you who have an autoimmune disease, do you eat a specific diet to have reduce inflammation? I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and I am looking into changing my lifestyle to help reduce the progression of the disease. If it makes a difference, I am 26 and am pretty healthy. I'd like to see what natural things I can do to help it.

Thank you!

Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I dont have any advice to give regarding specific foods for auto immune diseases, but there are several known food groups which tend to cause inflammation. Milk, wheat, some red meats (depending on the feed the animals are given), and alcohol.

Good luck!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disorder that requires me to not eat gluten or I die( Celiac). It kind of sucks. I do not know of any special diets for RA.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to find some sort of cut and dry anti-inflammatory diet. A lot of the websites I've been finding are a few years old/outdated.
  • gxmiller31
    gxmiller31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I developed arthritis symptoms in several joints. I looked for a couple of years for something that would help. Coincidentally I have a young daughter who developed gastric problems which her doctor eventually pinned on gluten. So I learned to cook gluten free for her. Reading lots of information, gluten consumption presents lots of seemingly unrelated symptoms.
    Gluten is a pro - inflammatory and since I knew how to cook without it for my daughter, I tried it myself. Within a week I felt dramatically improved!

I still have arthritis but I can again do push - ups without debility pain. Your arthritis is different than mine, but I think it may be worth investigating. All the best to you on your journey.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), GAPS....not sure what that one stands for lol, and paleo. I have Crohn's and Celiac, but besides eating gluten free, I don't follow any diet. Most of them center around meats/nuts/eggs/veggies....all big no nos for me personally.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've read that fresh pineapple helps, but it irritates my stomach so I can't eat much of it. My doctor recommended bromelain supplements (derived from pineapple extract) but I never gave it a try.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks