Polar FT4 issue (show 0 heart rate 90% of time)

Options
I have recently bought a Polar FT4 due to many great reviews heard on MFP.

I have an issue with it and I want your help because so many people use it and may know hot to help me.

So...

The day I have received it and went home and read the instructions. I have wet the electrode area a little (I was kind of worried to not damage anything). Put everything on, the device shows 66 heart rate and after less than a minute 00 heart rate. I stopped and restarted the recording. I searched the Internet and saw that people recommented actually soaking the cord. I did that and it seemed that everything work great (wore it like 5-7 minutes, I wasn't planning a workout that night, just making sure it work).

Next day I started my workout. Soaked the cord. Put everything on. Started my exercise, all went good, my heart rate showing bugger and bigger numbers. 5 minutes later... zero...
I continued working out hoping that after I begun sweating, the sweat will do the job of helping the device getting my heart rate. I was soaking in sweat. Nothing.

I tried soaking it several times to help conductivity. I tried working out just in a bra to not cover the transmitter. I actually tried to put spit on the electrode area. It gets my heart rate for half a minute then... the classic 00.

I read more Internet comments, tried other positioning of the transmitter... but I can get my heart rate monitored for more than a couple of minutes.

I was very excited of getting my Polar and now I'm very frustrated. I don't know... maybe I'm using it wrong??? I follow the manual. I soak the cord with the electrodes, put the cord, attach the transmiter, put on my clock, press the start buton, I put the clock near the transmitter until I see my heart rate, than I press the start button and get going with my exercise.

Should I buy some special cream for the electrode area?

Note: My brother tried it for biking and it works good on him. So it's not broken.

Replies

• cantina920
    cantina920 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same heart rate monitor, and I've never had that problem. Could it be the battery?
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have the same heart rate monitor, and I've never had that problem. Could it be the battery?
    It's brand new, out of the box. Shouldn't it have a full battery?
    I've read on the Internet it allerts when the battery is getting empty... no sign of that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've read on the Internet it allerts when the battery is getting empty... no sign of that.

Being this brand new, back to the seller it goes. Is this an option? Sometimes you just get a dud. My first one would turn off within seconds every time. I could not even program my info.

That said, here are some other usage tips. Is the strap tight? Per the manufacturer, you should have to pull the strap six to eight inches to clasp it. So just hold it around your chest without pulling and that should be the gap. Make sure your sports bra or other clothing is not rolling under the strap (duh). I don't have a special cream. Sweat should do the job as you say.

As to the battery being dead, it's possible that it drained while waiting to get sold?? But if you're using it properly I wouldn't mess with anything and just ask for an exchange
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    that happened to mine after a year or 2 of use. I switched out the battery but heart rate was always at zero, just broke down I guess.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

I have an FT4 and it does this occasionally - but not as much as this. It's usually when I've sweated too much, it seems to lose conductivity if it's too wet (lovely, lol). Also it has to be quite high on my ribcage compared to my old HRM - the positioning does have quite an effect for mine.

My old HRM had the monitor go so that it was almost always 00 - that's when I bought a new one xD

ETA: You can send it back to Polar, they have a dedicated service area that'll check it :)
  • Chococatte
    Chococatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello there, sorry to here about your problem, I have the FT4F and my run partner just ordered the RC3. Mine has worked brilliantly since I received it I would avoid excessively wetting the telemetry strap, you really shouldn't have to do that for it to work properly. I agree with the other post it might be the battery. If not contact customer service,:smile: they are very friendly and knowledgeable. I do hope all goes well. :smile:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I have learned using the same Polar HRM for nearly 7, mostly trouble-free, years.

A) THOROUGHLY SOAK THE ELECTRODES. Don't use just a wee bit of water and get them damp. I need to run a full stream of water from the tap, placing the electrode in the stream, one at a time, and spending 10-20 seconds, rubbing the length of the electrode, to ensure it's thoroughly soaked right through, from end-to-end. It should be nearly dripping wet when you put it on.

B) The range isn't very good. If it's on your wrist, this shouldn't be a problem. If you have it mounted to something else (handlebars on your bike for example), when I sit up, it tends to lose its signal.

C) Performance starts to drop off before the low battery symbol shows up.

Situation A was a real turning point in the performance of my HRM. It took me 4 years to come to that realization. Before I started to drench the electrodes with water, and just dribbled a bit onto them, I always got inconsistence performance. The signal would either drop off entirely for most of my bike rides (until I got really sweaty), or it would lose the signal and go to 00%.

I would try using it again, this time using LOTS of water, and rubbing the water in hard. Don't be gentle. It's designed to be used to YEARS, and is water resistant up to 30m. It's not going to be damaged. If that doesn't work - return it and get another. You shouldnt' have to buy new batteries as soon as you get a new product.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If it works on your brother maybe make sure it's on you tight enough and make sure the watch part is close enough to the transmitter. otherwise I'd return it and try another, could be a dud.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I've experienced the "I'm dead I've got no heart rate" syndrome too. I do soak the electrode areas with a nice stream of water before I put it on, which seemed to fix the "I'm dead" issue. I knew it wasn't a battery issue as I had just replaced both of mine (have had mine for over a year. You have to remember that these things can be put thru the washing machine (strap) so don't be afraid to get it wet.
  • kmatti844
    kmatti844 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my FT60. After messing around with it for a few months (thought my sports bra was bumping into it, tried changing the battery, etc.), I sent it to the Polar warranty center. It was still under warranty and they replaced the sensor for free. Haven't had a problem with it since. Just be wary because opening the back to replace the battery can null the warranty. I would go back to the point of sale if possible, or check out the Polar website for info about the warranty center.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Check the tightness of the strap. It shouldn't slip AT ALL when on, but not so tight you can't think about anything but the strap haha.
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing after two years of use. I put new batteries in both the chest strap and the watch and within 10 mins after starting to workout it would go to zero. So I've gotten to a point if I can't talk more than a few words without being winded I figure my heart rate is up where it belongs while exercising. I'm not buying another one!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem after a few months of use. Apparently the transmitter is quite prone to damage. I would get zombie readings (0% of maximum heart rate) interspersed by readings of of 150% of max heart rate while taking a leisurely walk to the gym.

I sent mine back to Polar for a warranty repair. Their warranty is 2 years. Report the problem on their website and they send instructions on how to register the repair and how to send in your HRM. My experience with customer service at Polar has been great. I got my HRM back within 2 days

I have had two repairs from Polar within a year on the transmitter. After the second repair they sent a note that the transmitter is prone to erosion if stored somewhere damp. I used to throw the rinsed out, wet strap with the watch and transmitter in a bowl on the counter. I now store the transmitter separately.

I would try washing the strap, wetting the strap, changing the battery on both transmitter and watch before sending it in for repair/replacement.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I did buy a new strap (about $18) when I thought I lost my old one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084MS19S?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Performance is quite different between the two. I think they do start to give out after a while. I don't have to soak the newer one or anything, just the couple drops of water and then sweat takes over. I couldn't imagine having to soak the whole thing after the strap has sat in my car all day (this past winter). Oh no!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Wash the strap.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice.

I'm gonna wash it today and then try again.
    At some point last night I got it working, but after my exercise. I just wear it around the house to see how long it would work (it beeped the whole time), and it lasted a bit. Maybe I just need to learn how to use it properly... have heard that some people actually have to put the transmitter on their back... don't know... maybe I'm a special kind.

The store from which I bought it says there are authorized resellers (it's a sport store) but I don't know if they are of any help.

But thaks to your suggestions I found out that Polar has a waranty center in my city, so I'll try also contacting them to get some help. I just can't believe that there's one in my country. :D