Options
1PatientBear
1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
Things that DEFINITIVELY do NOT belong in guacamole:

Mayo
Sour cream
Greek yogurt (or any kind of yogurt)
Cottage cheese

Now, I keep my guac very simple so I'm not a huge fan of the garlic powders and cumins, but I recognize that some of you are okay with being wrong. But PLEASE do not destroy the reputation of one of the most perfect foods on the planet by bastardizing it with any of the things listed above.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled Saturday.

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Meh. Different people, different taste preferences.

I like my guac simple too but if they buy the ingredients, they can shove whatever they want to in their maws.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Mayo
    Sour cream
    Cottage cheese

Now, I keep my guac very simple so I'm not a huge fan of the garlic powders and cumins, but I recognize that some of you are okay with being wrong. But PLEASE do not destroy the reputation of one of the most perfect foods on the planet by bastardizing it with any of the things listed above.

What are the correct ingredients ( with weights please) because I've never made it myself and fancy giving it a try (I'm a big Cumin fan - I stick tonnes of it in my chilli).
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Reasonable guacamole additions are: onion, garlic, small amounts of diced tomato, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, salt. That's it!

Mayo or sour cream (or cottage cheese?? people DO that???) are completely unacceptable. Call that an "avocado spread" or something, but do not call it guacamole.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Mayo
    Sour cream
    Cottage cheese

What are the correct ingredients ( with weights please) because I've never made it myself and fancy giving it a try (I'm a big Cumin fan - I stick tonnes of it in my chilli).

Sent
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Thank you. I love this post. I so agree with this. Why do people do this? Why why why?

It must be the same people who put smoked gouda cheese and figs on pizza.

It must be the same people who put arugula in mashed potatoes.

It must be the same people who put strawberries in a mixed green salad.

Stop yuppifying traditional delicious food. STOP STOP STOP!

(I mean do it at home, sure. But please don't put this crap on a restaurant menu. Please. Even Gordon Ramsay frowns upon it.)

Haha- well, I'm all about "yuppifying" food I guess- strawberries are delicious in salad and I'm a big fan of regular pizza but I like unusual topping combinations too.

But putting sour cream or mayo into guacamole is kind of the opposite of that. It's taking this food that is perfect and creamy and delicious on it's own, and cutting it with nasty extra fatty crap to extend it (since mayo and sour cream are cheaper than avocados.) They don't add flavor- they're covering up the natural avocado flavor, which is what guacamole is all about.

(Obviously I am taking this way too seriously. People can make their food however they want. But it's gross.)
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Martha Stewart put sour cream in guacamole and calls it "guacamole dip". But I agree--who needs it? Guac is delicious on it's own!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

The only things that belongs in guac are avocado, lemon juice, garlic, tomato, salt pepper, and maybe salsa.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options

It must be the same people who put strawberries in a mixed green salad.

I do that. And it tastes GREAT ! ????
  • hymescs
    hymescs Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Mayo
    Sour cream
    Cottage cheese

I've used guac instead of those items.. like I make a pretty yummy deviled egg with guac and pico de gallo. Or a guac,turkey bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich..
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Put whatever you want in guac. As long as its mostly avocado, I'm probably going to like it.

Just never, under any circumstances, destroy a perfectly good pizza by putting pineapple on it. GOD that is disgusting.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Dude, there are numerous cauliflower sushi and pizza recipes on here and you're worried about a little sour cream in your guacamole? Count yourself lucky that no one has come up with a broccoli mush replacement for it. Yet. I probably missed it . . .:sick:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This thread gives me a sad. The concept of adulterating guacamole with that nonsense... just.. :sick:

(And yes, pineapple on pizza is an abomination!)