Newbie and clueless where to start

Options
Hi I'm new to this and really looking for any help I can get. My goal is to loose 20-30! Thanks

Replies

• FrankSixPack
    Options
    I'm ready! Hello!
  • forbesrgh
    Options
    I'm new to this too. Today is my first day. I started it on the wrong day. We had a family reunion today. I didn't stick to my life change and almost ate all my calories at the one meal!!!
  • FrankSixPack
    Options
    Advise N1
    To count your calories and doing squats, burpee or run if you ate some extras))))) Every evening: 321 GO!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP (everyone new in here)!
    All the best with your fitness goals!

Feel free to add me! I have been around here about 3 weeks now and I love it!
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice: make sure your calorie goals are correct for your height/weight.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • samzuckerman1998
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sam Zuckerman. I am currently 15, and for the past 3 years I have been on a weight gaining tract. I feel as though I don't have the willpower nor the actual ability to run for more than one or two miles, and never feel motivated to do much besides eat. Being on this website I hope will bring about change for me so I can be more confident in my physical abilities and be able to take my shirt off at the beach without feeling ashamed. I am a boy of 15 who is 5'8 and 1/4 and weighs 175 pounds. I hope to lose 25 pounds and achieve a weight of 150 over the next few months.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sam Zuckerman. I am currently 15, and for the past 3 years I have been on a weight gaining tract. I feel as though I don't have the willpower nor the actual ability to run for more than one or two miles, and never feel motivated to do much besides eat. Being on this website I hope will bring about change for me so I can be more confident in my physical abilities and be able to take my shirt off at the beach without feeling ashamed. I am a boy of 15 who is 5'8 and 1/4 and weighs 175 pounds. I hope to lose 25 pounds and achieve a weight of 150 over the next few months.
    Welcome Sam!
    Feel free to add me, good luck with your goals!
  • changeurmind_changeurbody
    Options
    I have learned that you can't beat yourself about those things. You're make the effort and thats what counts
    Options
    Thank you ill try it out
  • 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just started 5 days ago, but I feel like I have a feel for the site and how to get around it. Also I have gotten A TON of dieting and fitness advice since I joined...feel free to add me!!!

also feel free to check out the blog I started! :)http://90to20.blogspot.ca/

Good luck!
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP to learn about yourself and what you're eating. Start by logging everything, and be honest and log even the treats like chocolate. If you're not meeting your goals, find healthier replacements that will reduce your kcal number. How you spend your kcal budget is a personal preference to reach your goals. Exercising really helps make the weight loss happen faster, so try increasing your activity in any way.

Good luck!
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been on since February and this website has helped me in so many ways! I hope it will be beneficial to you, too! I'd recommend starting this journey by reducing your processed foods and adding some sort of activity, whether it be walking or lunges, in the nooks and crannies of your day. Also, I'd suggest looking through the exercise database because you may be surprised at the different activities that count for calorie burns. I'd recommend keeping your diary open because if you ask questions about things it will be hard for others to help you if we can't see what's going on. Hope those are some simple steps to get you started!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat less.
    exercise more. cardio is good. strength training is better. find something you like to do.
    be patient.
    Options
    Use the MFP to learn about yourself and what you're eating. Start by logging everything, and be honest and log even the treats like chocolate. If you're not meeting your goals, find healthier replacements that will reduce your kcal number. How you spend your kcal budget is a personal preference to reach your goals. Exercising really helps make the weight loss happen faster, so try increasing your activity in any way.

Good luck!
    [/quit

Thank YOU
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice I'm already more motivated.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    600+ days and counting on mfp. Good luck to you
  • keaseya
    keaseya Posts: 1
    Options
    New as well, hoping this will give me some motivation