Feeling discouraged due to minor ankle injury

Options
Hey guys!

My name's Neptune and this is my second day on this website. This is very formal and foreign compared to the other social media I'm used to so just bear with me :~)

So far, I'm feeling very motivated to taking the steps that lead to accomplishing my goals, such as eating a little bit less (and healthier) as well as setting up a regular exercise regime. However, a couple of weeks ago I sprained my ankle (I was wearing these really dumb shoes and I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and I literally fell on my face and it was not fun) and it's still not fully healed. The swelling is completely gone, but I still have a limp even when I'm walking at a slow pace.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions in terms of exercises or anything, really, that I can do that won't rely on using my feet?? (Not sure if that makes sense, but I really can't do much walking and absolutely no running yet or else the pain is excruciating, so anything that aren't those two things, I guess?) Also if there are any tasty superfoods (or whatever they're being called these days) you know of please do share! :~)

So far, I'm really impressed with how supportive this community is, and I'm really looking forward to sharing my weight loss experience with all of you and encouraging everyone else as well.

Hope you're all having lovely lil days! :heart:

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Swim it out, also any sort of upper body strength training would be good.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Totally feel your pain! Both literally and figuratively :laugh:
    I had ankle surgery in February and it's been quite a struggle. My best advice is to swim. Try to kick less if that hurts. Not only will swimming give you your best chance at some sustained exercise, it's good rehab for the ankle. Depending on how much pain you are in, you could also bike. Start on a stationary bike with little to no resistance. If that feels ok, gradually increase the resistance. Once you are able to do that with moderate resistance, you could try a spin class - just be sure to go easy the first time. I've found that I can't handle the standing climbs, so I just let the instructor know that I'll be doing all seated climbs. Most instructors are fine if you let them know ahead of time that you have limitations. Most of your upper body lifting should be fine. I've found that my limited range of motion inhibits a lot of my lower body work but I've been able to do deadlifts and sumo squats and most of the seated machines. If you go to a gym, you might want to look into one session with a trainer. Tell them about your injury, and ask them to develop a program around it.

Good luck! And be sure to take the time to let it heal properly. Trust me, it will come back and haunt you later in life if you don't let it heal properly now.
  • milkfuzz
    milkfuzz Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions!! I may try my hand at swimming soon, actually.
  • mom2six
    mom2six Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't have anything to add to what ka97 said but I can offer sympathy as I've had reconstructive surgery on my foot so I'm in the same boat! Just a little at a time, I suppose, til we get built back up.