Low Carb Meals

Options
Hello,

I am just curious in what is considered a good low-Carb meal, as in nutrition. I saw a 4g Carb meal online but a serving was over 500 calories and the sodium was high. It was literally cheese, sausage, chicken, and mushrooms with other side ingredients thrown into a casserole dish topped with cheese!

What do you do for low Carb meals? I am wanting some more ideas for myself without the higher calories:)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by low-carb! I try to keep my daily intake around the 100-150g range. So that means eggs or Greek yoghurt for breakfast, salad or soup for lunch, and I'll base dinner around protein and veg (salmon with asparagus, chicken and ratatouille, cheese omelette, prawn stir-fry). I allow myslef a small portion of rice, potaotes, pasta etc, but not every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I keep carbs around 100 g, so am not low carb, but I tend to start with non-carbs and just add in carbs as extra, especially when I feel like I need the energy. Anyway, think in terms of a protein source (meat, eggs, dairy (full fat, I suppose, if you are trying to be low carb)), plus lots vegetables. I usually add a couple different kinds of vegetables to fill out the plate and substitute for what otherwise would be the carb course or at least some cooked vegetables plus a salad. I also often add starchier stuff like butternut squash, as well as fruit for more variety, which might not work if you are really low carb.

If anything the issue with eating this way is that you can eat a lot of food for not all that many calories. I had to adjust this and be willing to eat slightly more than I thought of as the correct meat serving size and more olive oil in cooking/on the salad, some cheese on the salad, etc. when leaving off the carbs to make sure I wasn't keeping my calories too low. But if anything cutting carbs seems to me to naturally create a deficit if it doesn't make you crave more carbs too much.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am just curious in what is considered a good low-Carb meal, as in nutrition. I saw a 4g Carb meal online but a serving was over 500 calories and the sodium was high. It was literally cheese, sausage, chicken, and mushrooms with other side ingredients thrown into a casserole dish topped with cheese!

What do you do for low Carb meals? I am wanting some more ideas for myself without the higher calories:)

My go to low carb meal is chilli - minus the kidney beans (in fact I used to leave the kidney beans out before I went low carb).
  • andrea6117
    Options
    We like fajitas with chicken or steak and veggies on low carb tortillas, we also use the tortillas for regular tacos. French dip and swiss using london broil and swiss cheese on great low carb bread company toasted hotdog bun, serve with aus jus to dip sandwhich.. Taco bake using carbquik crust on the bottom. Carbquik pancakes with sf syrup or french toast using great low carb bread company bread, we like the plain and cinnamon lc bread for french toast. Serve with sf syrup and your favorite breakfast meat. Grilled chicken sandwiches, add your favorite seasonings or sf bbq sauce, ect. I like to top mine with either cheddar or swiss, sliced avacado, bacon and spinach. Served on low carb bread compnay toasted bun. So glad I found Carbquik and The Great Low Carb Bread Company bread! Able to eat modified versions of some of my old favorites, things my kids will still eat too- YUM! I have been doing 18-25 carbs per day.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I checked my MFP reports and I am averaging 50-65 g of carb a day. I don't eat wheat, rice or potato in any significant amount any more. They just don't bring enough to the table to offset the carbs. I use beans and other grains for my carbs. I make my own chickpea crepes for wraps, I eat Farinata instead of pizza, quinoa instead of rice and Shirataki noodles instead of rice noodles. I don't try to make my diet low carb, it just happens when you cut these 3 items out. I never had a sweet tooth so sugar is not an issue.
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    Hello,

I'm doing the 4 Hr Body and basically no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar (unless from veggies), no dairy (that means no milk, cheese, yogurt) I do use butter though. Nothing w/ flour. Any type of sauce (that includes ketchup and BBQ sauce) or store salad dressing usually all have sugar added. I had to learn to use spices instead of sauces. Eggs are allowed. Lots of meats, beans or lentils and veggies. sour/pickled foods are ok. Think "mexican food" minus the tortillas, tacos & chips. Calories are unimportant in this diet. A meat calorie is processed differently than a bagel calorie, so it has a different effect than basic adding and subtracting. In the book he disagrees with caloric formulas cause a calorie was orig. measured by a 19th century chemist (Atwater) by incinerating food - which obviously your body is not doing. The focus here is on carbs/sugar and somewhat fat. I would not recommend this if you have to be on low sodium. I am ok with the sodium, salt is a trade off for me: I used to be a choco-holic.

I'm not into cooking and I don't have much time on making elaborate food - so my easy low carb go to's are:
    1. sugar free sausage & sauerkraut + beans (salad optional)
    2. canned lentils mixed w/ re-fried beans -mix in juice of 1 lime; sauteed onions + choice of ham, pork or sausage (hot dog can do)
    3. veggie stir fry in sesame oil and fish + salad
    4. roasted seasoned chicken with salad (dressing is balsamic vinegar & olive oil) or stir fry veggies
    5. mashed cabbage w butter and meat balls or meatloaf
    6. fajitas - no tortilla, refied beans and guacamole on the side
    Breakfast: scrambled eggs, choice of meat, beans and spinach + sugar free salsa
    Favourite snack: pcs of smoked salmon w/ guacamole dip or pepperettes (preferrably sugar free)
  • USNRET1
    USNRET1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs but have reached a plateau and am very discouraged.I am strictly adhering to MFP plan.Mathematically I should be losing still.Stepping up exercise and reducing carbs is suggested,Walking and swimming is my routine because of a handicap.What to do?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs but have reached a plateau and am very discouraged.I am strictly adhering to MFP plan.Mathematically I should be losing still.Stepping up exercise and reducing carbs is suggested,Walking and swimming is my routine because of a handicap.What to do?

a) Make your diary public
    b) Tell us about what you eat, exercise and your dimensions
    c) Start your own thread rather than tagging onto one about Low Carb meals
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am just curious in what is considered a good low-Carb meal, as in nutrition. I saw a 4g Carb meal online but a serving was over 500 calories and the sodium was high.

Sodium isn't an issue to those with normal blood pressure and low carb diets retain less sodium than high carb.

Quarter pound burger made with 20% fat beef mince, 100g / 4 ozs green beans (steamed or fried in coconut oil with garlic), 100g / 4 ozs broccoli (steamed), 15 ml / tbs of full fat mayo or caesar dressing (low carb versions).