Yikes! very new-very terrified.

Options
I am 24 year old soon-to-be RN (just gotta get those boards done), I am moving back in with my mother after 3 years of living on my own due to loans, bills and being of the boomerang generation (yay excuse!). The move happens on the weekend of Feb 5th-super excited. (my mom has a treadmill, Wii fit, and shops at Trader Joes!

After finishing up nursing school I realized I blew up about 20lbs-stress eating, no sleep, etc. I am looking to loose 50 lbs, because I was fat before but now I'm just ridiculously huge..

I am polish and looooove my pasta and potatoes so that is going to be my biggest challenge, that along with a couple beers on the weekend (not proud to admit that it took a lot of guts to write ).

Anyone who works in health care knows, you eat when you can. whether it be shoving a few twizzlers down for lunch or just eating small amounts of junk throughout the day.

I really hope this works. i need motivation, and all of my friends are twigs, so this is the first time I've joined an online community. I am going to see how that works for me.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I loooove this site! I'm down 44 pounds in the last 100 days and I honestly could not have done it without the wonderful support, encouragement, and accountability I find on here. I'm sending you a friends request and my diary and blog are public if you want some ideas.
  • Rashel_kitten
    Rashel_kitten Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    welcome.. i have been on the site for a while but never came to the forums till today .. alos i have been away from the site for a few months .. just got back to it yesterday ... so you could say im new t this too the community part anyway ..
    i need to loose 50 pounds minimum.. id like to loose 70 .. it is going to take some time .. but im currently (even with the 6 pound gain from not being here and on the ball ) 15 pounds down so lol only 70 to go...

i wish u luck .. hope to see u smaller as i also wish to see me smaller..
    ps is your name emily ?...

mine is ....lol
  • marniehodges
    Options
    You can do this!!! I know all about the yo-yo eating of a nurse from my sister; she has been a NICU nurse for over 20 years and has always worked the night shift on top of it! Weird eating and sleeping. Stick with the tools here and make some great friends...makes all the difference in the world! Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • francescorkill
    Options
    First welcome! :) You will love it here! It's so easy and great accountability! Second there are so many wonderful tools available and you will find you start changing pretty quick! You have a huge support system here so don't you worry!! :)
  • Emilyanne6081
    Options
    Awww! so far I'm loving this!
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You have made a great first step by joining this community. Great bunch of people:smile:

I can relate with you about gaining weight in the healthcare setting - stress, fatigue and the constant availability of food in the hospital or clinic are constant battles for many of us. Just take it steady and keep trying!
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you here! You can do it! I just started using the online part yesterday, I did not feel like running today but I got on here and got the encouragement that I needed, not my best run, but I did it! and that is what matters! Congrats On Nursing school!
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello and Congrats on becoming a Nurse! I think most of the hospitals have nice cafeterias with salad bar and soups and they are usually cheap :)
    I see a lot of RNs grabbing small salads and eating on the go :) Good luck!
  • bsshaw1
    bsshaw1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well you have come to. the right place!

I've only been here about a month, but the site really helps me keep me motivated and on track.

You can't beat the message boards for encouragement and inspiration. The progress photos really get me going too.

Just remember it's not a sprint, but a journey toward a healthy lifestyle. Relish the small goals you achieve, and build on them each day, week and month.

Again, welcome.

-Brad
  • Emilyanne6081
    Options
    lol yes my name IS Emily.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Welcome Emily, I am also a nurse for the last 30 years so am very familiar with the take a bite and run eating habits of nurses. Plus I work the night shift so no cafeteria with healthier options. But I bring my own healthy food and no money so can't hit the vending machines and walk a ton. It can be done. Best of luck to you.
  • christylynnrn
    christylynnrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm very new myself. I'm an RN myself and completely understand the "eat when you can" thing. I also work night shift which makes it even harder to keep from snacking and eat better. I've always been big even though I'm healthy, just looking to look and feel better. Looking for friends to help keep me motivated as well as people I can help keep motivated. Feel free to send friend requests :happy: