Why do different scales show different weights?

Options
I feel like when I weigh myself on different scales they show different weights (at the same time). Why is this? How do I know which one is accurate? One scale actually always stays the same number when I step on it but the others change....

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I weigh myself on different scales they show different weights (at the same time). Why is this? How do I know which one is accurate? One scale actually always stays the same number when I step on it but the others change....

Not sure why it matters. I assume your goal is weightloss so even if a scale is "wrong" and you keep using the same scale you can still tell if you are losing weight or not. It is all relative, just an arbitrary number used to track progress. It is the trend not the number that is the valuable information.

If I switched your tape measurer from accurate inches to completely wrong inches you could still track if your body was losing diameter with it accurately.
  • alliegrace132
    Options

Not sure why it matters. I assume your goal is weightloss so even if a scale is "wrong" and you keep using the same scale you can still tell if you are losing weight or not. It is all relative, just an arbitrary number used to track progress. It is the trend not the number that is the valuable information.

*gives thumbs up
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    You should say that to the government when measuring budget deficits then, haha, the public doesn't need to know...as long as it's going down. Is it a crime that I am asking this question? LOL
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You should say that to the government when measuring budget deficits then, haha, the public doesn't need to know...as long as it's going down. Is it a crime that I am asking this question? LOL

Not a crime but its irrelevant. Want an answer to your question? Okay the answer is no scale is 100% accurate and weight is an arbitrary number based on a brick in France somewhere at the Bureau of weights and measures. Which of your scales is in closer agreement with that brick? How shoild I know, ask France.