Water Additives, i.e. Mio, Thoughts?

Options
jsr0928
jsr0928 Posts: 32 Member
We all try to get our 8 glasses or more of water a day. What are the community's thoughts on adding things such as Mio or Crystal light or any of the other water flavorers?

I very rarely drink soda anymore and won't drink a diet when I do. I have read about insulin spikes that occur with fake sugars and flavorings and that it can cause more harm than good. With the introduction of High Fructose Corn Syrup in the 1970s, there are so many sweet things out there now. But I sidetrack...

Do you think that using a flavorer is good, bad, okay in moderation? and why?

Thanks!

Replies

• BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't use them a lot but occasionally for something sweet. Crystal light raspberry lemonade packets. I usually make it in the blender to have it like a slushie. I'm diabetic but don't test my sugar enough to know if I have had any spikes with it. When I drink soda, I don't bother with diet, I have the real thing but in moderation. I think moderation is key no matter what and besides you have to do what works for you.

Note: Excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect. This is true for all sugar-free items. Also sugar substitutes give me headaches.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My well water here tastes terrible! So yeah I add some flavoring to my water. Generic Mio or diet decafe iced tea mix. I don't think it's the best thing, but better than not drinking enough.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I normally don't have a sweet tooth (although, there are occasions); however, I do notice that when I use these a lot, my "sweet tooth" becomes more frequent an occurrence, so I try to curb their use.
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    Keep in mind that you probably don't need to be drinking *eight* glasses of water a day, anyhow ...

'Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.'
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • gert1985
    gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda a few years ago. the only thing I drink is water, so end up drinking quite a bit and sometimes I do get a little bored with it. I get migraines from "diet anything" so can't add much to my water. What I do add for a little change up is real fruit juice, either cranberry, cherry, or grape. I add a few splashes to my water bottle and it just gives it enough of a taste to keep from being bored of the water.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    I use the Crystal Lite or Wyler's packs and am wondering the same thing