Getting back on the wagon

Options
Starting in November 2011, I decided to take my life into my own hands weight-wise. I worked hard, eating well and running 3-4 times a week, and was successful. I went from 226lbs to 178!!

Over Christmas 2013 break, I somehow fell off and went back to 196lbs. I worked hard, doing the elliptical and eating well and got down to 191lbs but have hit a plateau.

I changed my my fitness routine to running for 25 minutes on the treadmill, varying the incline, and haven't seen ANY results. I have been doing this routine for a month and a half. My weight is the same on the scale and my summer shorts, which used to fit me, still do not fit comfortably. Needless to say, I am extremely discouraged.

A friend of mine told me to turn to MFP for some help. I have used a calorie counting app before but quickly lost hope in logging my food. I have quickly found that MFP virtually has everything from all restaurants, so that's excellent!

So my question is: Does anyone have any tips? Tips for using MFP? Tips for a 22 year old young woman trying to shed some weight?

My goal is to go back to 178lbs for now and hopefully eventually get down to 170lbs. Let me know what you think!

Replies

• bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    No one? :(
  • BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My tip is just log in every single day, even if you are not counting calories, sign into the message boards and read some sucess stories, or see the problems other people are going through. Seriously just browsing the success stories gives me so much motivation, and soon you will be able to post one of your own
  • SeeJaneShrink
    SeeJaneShrink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I lost 30 pounds back in 2012, but with school, work, and life in general getting in the way, I fell back into bad habits. I gained it all back, plus a little extra. I, too, am getting back on the wagon.

General tips for using MFP: Make friends in the forums, join in on conversations, and use the app every day.

As for your plateau, I suggest changing up your routine completely. Have you tried incorporating strength training? Lifting weights can really help rev up the metabolism. Perhaps get a new workout DVD, or find some workout videos online. There are many excellent workout videos for free on the internet. You can look up many fitness vids on youtube; Blogilates is a great youtube channel; Popsugar Fitness on Fitsugar.com has 10 minute routines that are great (I like to mix and match).

Good luck in achieving your goal. :)
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yikes, it must be frustrating hitting a plateau for over 6 weeks! But since you only just started counting calories using MFP, it will be to soon to see the effect of your diet on your progress - you could have been accidentally eating at maintenance before, or overestimating how many calories burned, and so your weight loss stalled. Hopefully with consistent, accurate logging, and staying at your goal, you'll start losing again! So my advice is to give it a few weeks, and see if using MFP works.

I would also incorporate weight lifting into your routine, because it's fun, a challenge, and stronger muscles burn more calories at rest :) it also might be the change in your routine needed to bust through this plateau! Good luck!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Over Christmas 2013 break, I somehow fell off and went back to 196lbs.
    What? You had a setback? That never happened to anyone else before. :wink:

Seriously, I can only suggest that you try to add some weight lifting to your routine. I lost a lot of weight doing only running but short, but intense periods of weight lifting have done more for me than all the running I have done. I still do run, but I credit lifting for more and better results. I have a lot of women friends on my MFP list and a significant number of them them lift so if you have any negative notions about women lifting, forget them.
  • craylicia
    Options
    Hi, I'm an Alicia. I weigh 139 lbs or 63 kilos and my height is 5.4 ft or 158 cm. My goal is to lose at least 27 more pounds and weigh at least 112 lbs or 50 kg. After that I want to tone up till I'm 120 lbs or 54 kg. Wanna be a my weight loss buddy?
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Add people! It gives you more motivation and holds you accountable! My last round of MFP I only had 3 friends added and they hardly ever logged in. I eventually got bored and fell off the wagon. This time around I have been adding people and it has been much better! I am also always checking out the boards! There are a LOT of inspirational people on MFP! You can add me if you'd like! I'm only looking to lose 10 pounds but what I'm really interested in is the inches that I have been losing and gaining for the last 8 years :S. I'm done having my kids so I'm ready to lose them once and for all :)
  • KatieBa82
    KatieBa82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am just coming back as well! I lost a ton of weight and I was doing amazing. I just stopped due to life stress and I am having to start all over again. Today is my first day back.

I agree with everyone who is saying you cannot just do cardio. You need to add strength training! HIIT training is what does it for me every time.

Friend me if you like!
  • bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I have drawn out a new fitness regime to start doing.

Sunday - run
    Monday - HIIT
    Tuesday - run
    Wedensday - rest
    Thursday - HIIT
    Friday - run

Lets hope this works! I'll see how it goes this week.