Soups that are high in protein

Options

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I live in Greece and here there are some great soups with protein. The flavor combos take a little getting used to, but they are all so good. You should easily find recipes online, they are all pretty basic/traditional without many variations.

Greek bean soup (this is the staple--the thing that the Army recruits learn to hate b/c they serve it to them everyday) also put some feta in it before serving and serve with bread for dipping

Greek lentils (don't forget to add salt and vinegar before eating the lentils and the bean soup, it totally changes the flavor)

Greek Avgolemono (I thought the flavor was so strange at first. Just be sure to mix the egg in one hot ladle-full at a time)

Fish soup ( I had NEVER had fish soup before visiting Greece and the idea was weird to me, but it is FAB!)

Also, I love Italian Wedding Soup, which is good with protein
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Also, you can do like a 6bean or 8bean or howevermany beans you've got soup. Those are always very good. Think; lentils, chickpeas, black eyed peas, white beans, gigantic beans (don't know the real name, only translation of the Greek), black beans, kidney beans, etc. Maybe a little ground beef or cuts of italian sausage inside. Onion and herbs usually provide extra flavor, plus a little carrot and celery.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    soups are filling and satisfying but can easily become a rut-type food.

To avoid this, I buy different flavored sauces to give them a little oomph.
    It helps, since you can practically have a different flavor every other day with only about 25-90 extra calories for a whole 1/4 of a cup of most sauces.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I make this but also blend in a block of extra firm tofu:

http://www.marthastewart.com/353233/spring-onion-soup
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wonderful ideas!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Look up bean soup recipes. Mine has chicken broth,spices,diced carrot,celery & onion plus Great Northern beans.You can add ham or serve without. image a huge pot of soup,freeze leftovers. So good & very easy.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great ideas thanks!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chicken vegetable.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The chicken mexican soup sounds good. I am going to make some tonite
  • Dallymomma
    Options
    Not sure how to quote from there to here, but last month mmerry5 shared this recipe on drocknoel's personal chef free advice thread...

"I make a Beef Lentil Soup that is fairly high protein and is healthy and delicious.

1 lb stew beef (or any lean beef) cut into small chunks
    1 cup chopped Celery
    1 cup Chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    ½ - 1 cup quick barley
    1 cup lentils
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1 or 2 containers Chicken Broth (I think I usually use 1 large container and 1 can You will want to cover everything with broth.)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 can Diced tomatoes

In crockpot add all ingredients except tomatoes. (You probably could brown the beef in a little olive oil first for added flavor, but I don’t bother. Saves time and calories without the oil.) Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Add tomatoes for the last one or two hours of cooking time. Some chopped cabbage would probably be really good added to this as well.

According to the recipe builder (for 12 servings) this has 134 cals, 24 carbs, 3 fat, 11 protein, 3 fiber.

This is one of my family’s favorite meals. I call it “stewp” as it is thicker than a soup, but not quite a stew. This freezes well too. I take the leftovers for my lunches. "

It's yummy! Might be like what you're looking for if you eat meat.
    I'm going to make this tonight with a slight substitution of pork loin center cut instead of the beef since that's what I have thawed in my fridge :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    in for the recipes
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1o bean soup with chicken or turkey hocks....next caller.
  • Bety_1989
    Bety_1989 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I live in Greece and here there are some great soups with protein. The flavor combos take a little getting used to, but they are all so good. You should easily find recipes online, they are all pretty basic/traditional without many variations.

Greek bean soup (this is the staple--the thing that the Army recruits learn to hate b/c they serve it to them everyday) also put some feta in it before serving and serve with bread for dipping

Greek lentils (don't forget to add salt and vinegar before eating the lentils and the bean soup, it totally changes the flavor)

Greek Avgolemono (I thought the flavor was so strange at first. Just be sure to mix the egg in one hot ladle-full at a time)

Fish soup ( I had NEVER had fish soup before visiting Greece and the idea was weird to me, but it is FAB!)

Also, I love Italian Wedding Soup, which is good with protein

I ordered a Greek lentil soup few days ago, when I tasted it it was sour and I didn't eat it. I thought it went bad I realize now that it was just vinegar that I tasted haha I am such an airhead sometimes.

I want to thank you all for sharing your recipes, I hope you don't mind me messaging you if I have some questions.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    When I want more protein in my soups, then I just double the meat in the recipe.

I make a chicken and dumplings that is reasonably low in calories. I cook however much chicken in a crock pot all day. I add the chicken with broth to a pot. Tear the chicken apart and add in some vegetables (usually just some carrots).

Then I mix in a bowl about 2 cups of self-rising flour, 2 tbsp. of butter or margarine, and about a half cup of milk. If the mixture isn't sticky when combined, then add in milk a tbsp. at a time until you get a biscuit-like consistency. Tear off pieces of the dough and drop into the broth in chunks. Cook until the dough swells. Allow to sit before serving.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding peanut butter?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Cullen skink. It's made with smoked haddock - I've never made it but had it in restaurants and surprisingly, not that fishy tasting. There are recipes on the google :)