Unemployment made me fat!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been unemployed and packed on the pounds... My clothes don't fit and can't afford to buy new ones. Plus I refuse to stay this way! I hope this works for me. I'm cutting out all the cookies, chips, cake and junk I've been eating. That has been my biggest problem other than that I really don't eat bad. I ride horses everyday which is very good exercise but that does not matter when your eating yourself silly with junk!!!

Hope to meet some new friends and get lots of support, because god knows I love my junk food :-)

Replies

• Ateamfosho
    Options
    amen to that, just save the money that you would buying the sweets then use the money to treat yourself to something nice :):):) xx
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As someone who is underemployed (I work freelance and work has been scarce lately), I used this period in my life to spend my time focused on getting healthy. Without the time commitment of a job, it's left me the time to focus on exercising and paying attention to what I eat.

I hope you find employment soon, but the time while you are finding it is the best time to focus on developing a healthy lifestyle.
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    Staying focus is hard to do when you are not working but planning a head is the best advice I can give you. As well as make sure you log ever bite you eat. Feel free to add me as your friend.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are on the road to success! Congrats on your start and good luck on your journey to good health. Consider this time as a gift to focus on bettering yourself. You will soon be ready to put your best foot forward! Here is to a new year and a new you! :)
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you! I'm also unemployed right now and it works both ways got me. I spent most of the day at home in front of my computer writing cover letters and searching for jobs...making me want to snack. On the other hand I have a lot of time to work out and prepare good foods! Like others I can devote a lot of my time to being healthy, which doesn't work 100% of the time but hey I'm only human.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can. Get right back on the wagon when you fall off, and you can do it! :)
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Unemployent hits people differently. Some people see it as an opportunity to really get a handle on their lives. I can honestly say that losing my job years ago was one the best things to ever happen to me. I started a new career and got into the best shape of my life. The first couple of weeks was depressing but something kicked in and I took off.

The fact that you are on here talking about it indicates that you may be having a shift in perspective.

Avoid alcohol (and drugs) as much as possible. With time on your hands that is one slippery slope you don't want to go down. It will only make matters worse.

I hope your situation improves.
  • 2labs4me
    Options
    Thank you all for your support.... @fitnesstim don't worry I don't do drugs and only have a glass of wine every now and then. I spend my days at the barn with my horses but now that It is so cold and the ground is icy I don't get to ride much. However I want to be thin and In shape for when the weather is nice so I can enjoy my horses and not feel like a fat blob when riding.

So all I have to do is track my food and not go over the calories allowed? Also do some exercise.. do I have that right?
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support.... @fitnesstim don't worry I don't do drugs and only have a glass of wine every now and then. I spend my days at the barn with my horses but now that It is so cold and the ground is icy I don't get to ride much. However I want to be thin and In shape for when the weather is nice so I can enjoy my horses and not feel like a fat blob when riding.

So all I have to do is track my food and not go over the calories allowed? Also do some exercise.. do I have that right?

I guess a little exercise wouldn't hurt... :smile: I figured it goes without saying that you need to exercise. What to do, when to do it is an entirely different conversation. Short answer is do it all and do it whenever you can. I'm kidding but there are so many resources on the web and books and other forum topics on MFP that most people on here are probably close to being experts.

Sorry about the alchohol and drugs comment. I wasn't assuming that was a problem but I figured it was better said than not just in case.
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for friending me.... Yes that is pretty much all you have to do. You can also use the recipe calculator to figure what you make at home. There are some foods that I cook at home and have really changed some of the ingredients. I made a Beef wellington today that is fabulous and wasn't to bad on the calories or fat. One of the things that I have a problem with is drinking the amount of water that I should drink. There are a ton of different theories on how much water... but 1/2 your weight in ounces. Also make sure that you eat enough. Good Luck
    Sandy
  • 2labs4me
    Options
    Thanks for friending me.... Yes that is pretty much all you have to do. You can also use the recipe calculator to figure what you make at home. There are some foods that I cook at home and have really changed some of the ingredients. I made a Beef wellington today that is fabulous and wasn't to bad on the calories or fat. One of the things that I have a problem with is drinking the amount of water that I should drink. There are a ton of different theories on how much water... but 1/2 your weight in ounces. Also make sure that you eat enough. Good Luck
    Sandy

Hi Sandy, I will try the Recipe calculator since my husband will still want to eat his normal foods LOL.... I hate water so that will be problem but I'm going to try and put lemon in it and see if that helps. I'm already under my calorie intake for today but I'm really not hungry. I hate to just eat when I'm not hungry to get the calories in.

Maybe you can help me... How do I get email notifications of posts on the forum. I went to settings and did check the first box but I'm not getting any emails of notifications.

Thanks
    Jane
  • sosasooner
    Options
    sorry to hear that you are unemployed but I am a beliver that everythan happins for a reson use this time to care for yourself. when one door closes a other will open
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane.... I don't know how to get this thing to notify you at your home email address. I just go to community and then to my topics and it will tell you if someone has logged anything on. If someone sends you mail then it will show on your home page above your profile in red letters. I rarely get up to my calories but I try to get close. Sometimes just eating a few almonds or walnuts will be enough and they are good for you. There are some easy ways to change recipes buy just changing a few ingredients but i was shocked about some of the things I made. Hey and HNY!!!! Maybe it is a new beginning for us all.
    Sandy