Oh the frigging headache

Options
So I was recently diagnosed Type 2.

And I'm doing awesome-seriously, might be the best thing that's ever happened to me.

But the problem is ever since I cut out the bread and packaged foods and brought down the carbs I'm losing weight like crazy, but I also get screaming headaches. I don't see the doctor until next week. Could it be withdrawal? I never get headaches and they bite the big one.

Replies

• craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, but you at least have a good outlook on it. My brother is type 1, has been since he was 11, and he turns 37 today! Your body is probably adjusting to the differences in food. I know my brother gets nasty headaches too quite frequently... to the point that he has gone to a neurologist for them, but he's still struggling. I'm sure that exercising could help... you can release those natural hormones in your body (endorphins, etc) and I'm sure it will help.

Is it possible for you to still eat some of those foods you like, but scale them back so it's not cold turkey? My brother still eats bread, he drinks beer / bourbon, etc... he's learned to adjust over the years. It's probably not ideal, but it can be done.

Good luck on your journey(s)!
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to get those headaches when I first started cutting carbs and packaged foods. I realized that my sodium intake was too low. I was keeping it well under 1500 mg daily and I was working out a lot and sweating a lot and drinking a lot of water. After I raised my sodium up a bit, the headaches stopped. I wound up increasing my carbs to just under 150 grams because the very low carb lifestyle wasn't working for me. I get most of my carbs from fruit, veggies, and whole grains.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drastically change your diet. Make small changes slowly.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm an all or nothing kind of person. If I break out the rolls, there is going to be a package of rolls gone. I did up my carbs a bit though. Doctor had me on 60 carbs per meal, I raised it to 70 cause it was just awful. Seems to be working for now.

I don't really have room for "small changes" it was quite serious by the time it was diagnosed. Throw that in with genetics and my half aboriginal bloodline, I was quite close to a heart attack at 40. I'm not going out that way.