Chocolate addict

Options
Hello I'm new here. I am a chocolate/candyholic. I can eat candy and sweets constantly. I have even been known to eat cake for breakfast. This is the reason why I'm at an embarrassing 205lbs. What are some alternatives to my sweet tooth? Trying to quit cold turkey only lasts a few days for me. I want to be able to control this unhealthy habit not let it control me.

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    moderate your portion sizes and will power.

There are no magic tricks or short cuts.

This. You gotta try. I applaud your efforts to do this. Do you like fruit?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Going cold turkey does not usually result in long term success. There is no need to deprive yourself of the foods you love. Find a way to incorporate smaller amounts of chocolate into your macro and calorie goal.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Going cold turkey does not usually result in long term success. There is no need to deprive yourself of the foods you love. Find a way to incorporate smaller amounts of chocolate into your macro and calorie goal.

This :)
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i should post a picture ,

i have a literal large box in my closet for me and my kids of 100 calorie packs of chocolate , its not much , but it helps ,
    that way i CAN have chocolate every day if i want it .

and honestly - i just had chocolate fudge cupcakes for breakfast... there is no need to eliminate it, Just more moderated
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. And yes, I do like fruit and I'm going to try some frozen as well. I think eating frozen grapes or mango slices, etc might help me as well.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Dole has dark chocolate covered banana and strawberries. It's 100 calories for 4 slices of banana. I found them in the frozen section. Moderation is a great way to incorporate things you enjoy into your overall diet. I, personally, could and would never give up the things I like (ice cream, pizza, peanut butter). :D
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    swap.milk chocolate.for.dark..chocolate
    eat more "sweet food" from fruits (the fiber helps with satiety)

yellow mangoes, ripe bananas, watermelons and blueberries are.excellent
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with all chocolate also...cake, cookies, ice cream, candy bars, brownies. I generally have one of these things every day, sometimes 1 1/2 or even 2 on a particularly rough day. But, I also try to burn off at least that much in exercise so I can still get the nutrition I need from other foods. I have also found that a smoothie with enough sweet frozen fruits can often help with those cravings, and drinking enough water is 100% key. I had a day this past week that I just went crazy in the evening. The next morning, I was fighting the urge for a fatty breakfast so I decided to review my food diary from the day before and realized I had drank maybe 24 oz of water all day. I hydrated up and had a much better day.

I usually log first, eat later, because logging and looking at all the options that will satisfy my sweet tooth before I eat them helps decide what I REALLY want, and sometimes it's the most caloric thing, but sometimes a lower calorie sweet will do just as well. It takes time and discipline, but it's working.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    by the way, is.is the.chocolate that you crave.or.the.sugar in these chocolate flavored food?

a few.monthd ago, I.swapped sweetened chocolate powders for unsweetened.cocoa.powder . 50 - 100 cals to 10 cals per serving!

if it's the.sugar.you are addicted to, it's gonna be a tougher battle. the best advice I can give is eat sweet food that has fiber and/protein to help manage appetite
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try dark chocolate and or the chocolate protein shakes. I use the EAS LEAN 15 Protein powder it's chocolate fudge with 2% milk. But whatever you do don't drink it with water it's aweful!!! And that's saying a lot for me cause I HATE milk. and if you want to add a banana to it it tastes like a shake. I am also a chocolate lover and starburst but I also found the cranberry almond dark chocolate trail mix at walmart that is good to get the hint of chocolate to get the taste and move on.
  • maureenh0709
    maureenh0709 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Would like to echo that grapes are awesome! They help satisfy my sweet tooth.

Also, if you're logging your food correctly there's no reason why you can't budget for indulging your sweet tooth. For example, I LOVE ice cream, frozen yogurt, and gelato. Instead of quitting them cold turkey (which just isn't realistic long-term for me) I budget for a small serving after dinner (which is when I know my craving for something sweet hits). I usually buy high quality sorbet or gelato that's around 130-150 calories per 1/2 cup. The fact that it's expensive helps me resist the temptation to eat more than my allotted 1/2 cup.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hah, I was just going to post about unsweetened cocoa powder. I just used one to make a single serving brownie which I will say is 250 cals. But a bit less than if I made or bought an entire large cake!!
  • coffencr
    coffencr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Hershey kiss ( 22 calories ) as my nightly snack. If i have over a 100 calories left @ the end of my day I have 2 -
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would focus less on substitutions and more on figuring out why you are constantly eating candy and having cake for breakfast instead of choosing other foods. Talking to a counselor or therapist might help. Getting the food out of the house or substituting something might alleviate the symptoms but it won't do anything for the problem. To do that, you're going to have to tackle the behavior and the motivation for it.
  • pr1nc3ss_xo
    pr1nc3ss_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chips! Perfect for adding a dash of chocolate to your regular meals. I like to throw some in oatmeal or stuff them inside raspberries for an awesome snack. Just make sure you measure and add the calories to your diary.
    I get the 50% dark ones, not too bitter so they give me the sweetness I'm craving.
    Other than that, I eat Lindt 85% dark which was fairly bitter to me at first but I've really gotten used to it and enjoy it. I can eat just one square at a time and make it last, delish.
    Mini-size sweets are good for when you really need a treat, right now I've got mini ice cream sandwiches in the freezer that come in at only 80 cals.
    Dark chocolate flavoured almond milk is also good, I love blending up a cup of it (120 cal) with a banana :) or regular chocolate milk if you prefer.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I would focus less on substitutions and more on figuring out why you are constantly eating candy and having cake for breakfast instead of choosing other foods. Talking to a counselor or therapist might help. Getting the food out of the house or substituting something might alleviate the symptoms but it won't do anything for the problem. To do that, you're going to have to tackle the behavior and the motivation for it.

They taste damn good. There. Just saved OP hundreds of dollars in therapy :wink:

Ok it probably is great advice for somebody out there, possibly including OP :tongue:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    moderate your portion sizes and will power.

There are no magic tricks or short cuts.
    Doesn't work for me.

What DOES work for me is doing a decent amount of exercise, so I can have big portions and still meat my calorie/macro goals.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am also a chocolate addict and knew I had to incorporate chocolate into my daily plan. I eat a piece of Dove dark chocolate with a half cup of milk (my other weakness) every evening. On my "cheat" day (Sundays), I also have ice cream occasionally. It works for me and helps me to not feel deprived. I'm doing a low carb plan, so fruit is not an option.
  • TheNewMe93Chicago
    Options
    Luna Bars are amazing. I love the smores one.