I just logged my first honest bad day

Options
In the past I have logged pretty accurately until my late night binges. But lately I have been trying to be as accurate and accountable as possible. It is very hard because I HATE looking at the red on my log. but 2 days ago I had a VERY bad day and where I would usually try to downplay it like " it prob wasn't even that much" I was forced to see it. I had eaten another FULL day of calories. I was so ashamed but then when I looked overall weekly I found I was still under my weekly goal. NO NEED TO FALL OFF THE WAGON.

A little red didn't kill me lol

Replies

• drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good job! Being honest with yourself is a huge step!
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    I have those days too and actually just had one Friday when I ate all my calories just at lunch (whoops) it just motivated me to work harder the following days :) good luck and keep logging the good the bad and the ugly and it will get better :D
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    btw my diary is open...feel free to go look at my HORRIBLE HORRIBLE FRIDAY
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Thanks guys.... It's super hard but I am tired of being ashamed of my food. I have bad days but overall I have had more good than bad in the last three months. I have to change my perspective. It's not all or nothing. Its small steps towards a big goal.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I know what you mean; it's very difficult for me to honestly log my bad days. But I just tell myself "suck it up buttercup" and do it. Indeed, a little red won't kill you :flowerforyou:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I logged my Easter food extravaganza. It was also double the amt. I normally eat. I just picked up and kept going. The weight came back off no problem.
  • Grant0710
    Grant0710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It happens to most of us. Better you log it and learn from it. Nice work sticking to it.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm the same way. I find myself logging accurately up to my daily amount, then shaving them down after the fact to squeeze in that evening cocktail or last little snack. This past week I decided to log it all. As with you I still hate seeing that red number at the end of the day.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    What you did was a brave thing! Not only did you log it, but you shared it here, in the forum, to let others know that they are not alone when this happens to them! Very inspiring!

This journey is a beautiful one, but it is not an easy one. It will be filled withs ups and downs, speed bumps, and more. Just like life! You will learn things through trial and error. You will do things that will make you so happy and proud of yourself while others times you may be left feeling a little down. That's okay! That is every day life. Nothing goes perfectly! So it's important to take the bad with the good. Accept it and move on. It's also important that we don't punish ourselves for our mistakes. So you ate a piece of cake? Don't deprive yourself the next day or kill yourself at the gym. It's like the saying goes "One bad day won't make you fat, just like one good day won't make you skinny". This is a day by day process.

Good for you! And congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You're doing great and I applaud your honesty. When I started, it was easy to be honest because it was new and I was sticking to the "PLAN". Then as life happened and time wore on it became harder and it was almost painful to have to see my "transgressions" on the screen. I also took the long view and used the rest of my week to balance out when I don't maintain a performance I'm satisfied with and I think that's key. As we've all heard so many times, "Weight loss isn't a destination, it's a journey." Keep up the great work.
  • photogjoy
    Options
    Good for you! I hate looging the bad stuff, too. But I look at it this way: Most of the time I do pretty well and a few bad days aren't going to ruin anything. I tend to look at weeks and notice that my averages are where they need to be. As long as the overall week was good, then I know I'm doing okay. Good luck!
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I relate to this struggle so much. Congratulations on busting over a huge mental hurdle (being completely honest with yourself). It is very empowering. :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Really, your bad day wasn't horrible at all. 2,664 calories may have been 300-500 over your maintenance, if that. You are doing great and good job on logging it! You had a high day. Those are actually recommended in a lot of research to keep your metabolism at its peak. Look at your overall deficit for the week rather than that one day. I noticed that, the next day, you only ate 680 calories. If you did that out of some kind of guilt, please don't. You have nothing at all to feel guilty about. Even skinny people have days they eat more than maintenance. It levels out.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Really, your bad day wasn't horrible at all. 2,664 calories may have been 300-500 over your maintenance, if that. You are doing great and good job on logging it! You had a high day. Those are actually recommended in a lot of research to keep your metabolism at its peak. Look at your overall deficit for the week rather than that one day. I noticed that, the next day, you only ate 680 calories. If you did that out of some kind of guilt, please don't. You have nothing at all to feel guilty about. Even skinny people have days they eat more than maintenance. It levels out.

Yeah honestly I have to say I forgot my lunch and fell asleep. I tried not to punish myself but I am guilty of the thought. I even considered going to the gym for a couple of extra hours to make up for it then I did some reading and decided I had nothing to make up for.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your support.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being honest and sharing.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I made a commitment to myself to log it all...the good, the bad, and the really ugly. I had a pretty ugly day on Thursday, and I logged it honestly. I feel like I got to where I am by being dishonest with myself about my eating. If I continue to be dishonest, the only person I am really cheating is myself. I love data, I work with data all the time in my job to make decisions, and having the data about what I'm eating has made me feel more powerful, confident and in control. And that's worth something too, even in the weeks I don't lose.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Good for you! I made a commitment to myself to log it all...the good, the bad, and the really ugly. I had a pretty ugly day on Thursday, and I logged it honestly. I feel like I got to where I am by being dishonest with myself about my eating. If I continue to be dishonest, the only person I am really cheating is myself. I love data, I work with data all the time in my job to make decisions, and having the data about what I'm eating has made me feel more powerful, confident and in control. And that's worth something too, even in the weeks I don't lose.

Thank you. I feel like I would be dishonest and then when it came to weigh day Id be so frustrated with not seeing results. Id quit. It didn't make sense. So I had to make changes lol