How do you strengthen your back after a herniated disc??

Options
So my fiance really messed up his back about a year ago and he's finally gotten to the point where he isn't hurting at all getting out of bed and it isn't painful when he does push ups and such. My concern is that it still twinges and I don't want him re-injuring it. What are some exercises that he could be doing at home to stretch and strengthen his back? He's been doing some squats, push ups, crunches, and general stretches like pulling his knees to his chest. I'm just concerned because we will be moving in a couple weeks and I don't want him to tweak it again.

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr nor do I play one on the interweb - so I'd suggest talking to a REAL one before plucking such advice from the Ether!

This place is great fro "Should I eat red apples, green apples or no apples at all" - but painful, hurtie backs - right - forget it.
  • serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    He's been to a doctor and he said just to stretch and strengthen it and he gave him a few suggestions as far as exercises to do. I was just looking for any additional ideas that could help.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yeah, herniated discs are no fun- I had surgery last year after herniating 2 discs. I also suggest seeing a doctor and getting a proper diagnosis. I will say post op the physical therapy I received put a heavy emphasis on strengthening my core muscles.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    and i guess I should elaborate and say, not sit ups, but more moves laying on my back, lifting my legs, etc.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts:

1. Hire a mover.

2. See a physical therapist and come up with an appropriate exercise routine.

3. Consider getting a suspension trainer (TRX, Jungle Gym XT, etc.) I have a suspension trainer and it works well for my needs.

Pro: It can help with strengthening core muscles. A strong core can take a lot of the stress off the back. You can vary the intensity of the exercises depending on your fitness level.

Con: If you have bad form and try to do too much you can injure yourself.

4. Whatever you decide to do, take it slowly and be patient.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not just the right exercises, it's how you do them as well.

Push ups are great--maintain full plank at all times
    Wide grip lat pulldown
    Step ups with dumbbells (step no higher than 12")
    Single leg squat and reach (keep back at an angle you would for a regular squat--reach to a higher bench or table, not to the floor like you will see if you google this on YouTube).
    Combo biceps curl/shoulder press with dumbbells
    Straight arm pulldown
    Front raise with Olympic plate
    Alternate arm/leg bird dog
    Superman stretch

These will help. The main thing with any of these exercise is to emphasize core control and stability at all times.

Any exercise that flexes the spine--e.g. Crunches--is not indicated
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would be going with physio recommended exercises.

Also, you didn't mention which disc is herniated. This alone will make a big difference to exercises you should and shouldn't do.