Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going home for summer, how to maintain progress at college?

Hi all,

I'm a college student who has been successfully dieting and working out here at school since Christmas. I'm going home for the summer and I'm concerned about falling into my old ways. Apart from joining the local gym, what can I do? I'm used to dining hall food, which isn't so tasty so I'm not tempted to binge. I also have a lot of healthy choices here, like a variety of fruits, vegetables, salads, soups, etc. that my family isn't too keen on.

I am afraid that once I get home the food will be much more tempting. My family doesn't eat very healthfully, and I haven't been successful in trying to change their habits. Both of my parents are overweight and my dad in particular believes in the "food is love" philosophy and often brings home chips and sweets regularly.

Has anyone been in this situation, or have suggestions for me? Thanks a bunch.

- Emmy

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    I was the other way when I was in undergrad. I used to eat 3000+ calories a meal without even thinking about it. :indifferent:
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    All you can really do is your best in any given situation, and it sounds like you have thought out potential pitfalls already, so you can make some attempt to bypass/overcome them.

Can you get a part time job for the summer, in order to have your own money to buy healthy snacks? Then you don't have to convince your family to eat/buy anything at all. Plus, staying full with healthy foods throughout the day will definitely help at dinnertime, when the whole family is together eating delicious calorie-rich foods. Drink plenty of water at mealtimes to help too. And put the chips and sweets in a cupboard so they're completely out of mind.

I would also advise you not to avoid family mealtimes, they really are more emotional and cultural than anything else - you don't have to fill your plate and stuff yourself to be loved by your family. I had to learn to eat slowly and say 'no thanks' when family members tried to overfeed me, but still smile and say it's amazing food, etc. If they keep pressing, keep saying no thanks, I'm completely full!
  • nuncanunca
    nuncanunca Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the reply! You make really good points and I hope that with some planning I can pull this off. I do have a job, so luckily there is some income.

Do you have any tips for when I'm traveling? We're going camping quite a bit, so should I just bring along my own provisions, or..? Again, thanks!
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    I don't see why it would be a problem for you to ask your parents to buy you unproccessed healthier foods instead of buying an extra portion of unhealthy stuff which probably works out more expensive (it would here in the UK anyway). Go shopping with them and choose things you know you want and go from there and then there shouldn't be any issues. After a while when you know what you want and need they will probably be happy for you to just give them a list. Or ask them if they will give you money so you can go alone.

If this succeeds then the only problem you have is with your own self control. There is nothing wrong with having something unhealthy once or twice a week, especially if you are doing regular workouts. I do it all the time - except I tend to drink alcohol as a treat. You don't have to eat any of the foods they choose to keep in the house, and if they force you to... Well then I don't think they are being very good parents. They should respect your wishes as an adult, and if you want to eat healthily they should be happy if you are.
  • attybell
    attybell Posts: 81 Member
    You will be amazed at what a parent will do for their child I'm on here because I have a lot of weight to loose but my daughter went off as a freshman in college and has gained the freshman 15 plus some. She came home for Easter and had a reality check and she to has joined Mfp that being said me knowing she is trying to loose weight also has motivated me to want to try harder and when she comes home for the summer I want home to be a safe haven for her food choices .. So it could be something as easy as just talking to them
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    I have to admit, when I go home I always eat horribly because there are so many bad foods that are easily accessible to me at my parents house. It's definitely possible, but you have to exercise a ton of willpower and be happy buying your own groceries. I wonder if you could even get your own mini fridge to keep all of your groceries? That would really help. You just have to be really extra proactive in this situation... Plan and think about what you're going to do before you even get in that environment.