Can someone take a look at my food diary?

Options
I have been logging in my calories and was wondering if someone could take a look and give me some feedback? I am not trying to lose weight fast, I am looking to lose 1-2 pounds a week. I have done low carb in the past and have lost weight but it's hair not sustainable in the log run. Anyways, I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Ps. I don't like eating meat, so meat is not something I want to add to my diet.

Replies

• DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You need to open your food diary first :) You can do that in the settings somewhere.
  • muniska25
    Options
    Okay done! :)
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good to me! I actually think you're better off to stay the course as you are, and expect smaller but steady weight loss. Losing even 2 pounds a week is a lot, and can be hard to sustain. And given natural weight fluctuations that we all have, smaller gains can be hard to see if you weigh yourself every week (and especially hard if you weigh yourself more often than that!). I'd encourage you to track your weight officially once a month, and see if you've lost 2-4 lbs in the month. If you have, you're doing great!

I see you've been eating under your calories. This can be ok if you have your weight loss set to .,5 to 1lb a week, but is too low if you have it set to more than that. Be sure you're logging exercise and eating back your calories. Your body needs a certain amount of energy to run, and cutting back calories to try to lose two pounds a week might make you feel too hungry or lead your body to try to compensate for what it feels is a dramatic loss of fuel.

I've lost about 20 pounds over about 2 years this way. This seems slow, but it's been sustainable and has allowed me to change my eating habits in a way I can keep up now that I am maintaining. It's also meant that if I've had a week or two where external forces have meant I've eaten badly, I have room to cut back a little and lose a little more.

Also, great job on the protein! That can be hard when you don't eat meat, but you seem to be getting enough despite that. I found eating more protein really helped. I'd encourage you to get more veggies in - your body needs the vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies as part of the toolbox it uses to run at its best.

Good luck!
  • trevebyn
    trevebyn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your protein levels look a little low to me. Ive been told 60g a day is the minimum by dietician. You could ad something like tofu to give you a change from nuts?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in my calories and was wondering if someone could take a look and give me some feedback? I am not trying to lose weight fast, I am looking to lose 1-2 pounds a week. I have done low carb in the past and have lost weight but it's hair not sustainable in the log run. Anyways, I would appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Ps. I don't like eating meat, so meat is not something I want to add to my diet.
    Losing 1-2 pounds a week is too aggressive for 20 pounds. I suggest setting your goals to lose .5 pounds a week instead. The result will be slower but it will be more sustainable.

What I noticed in your diary is a lot of measurements of food. Are you weighing your solids and measuring your liquids? For example, one cup of steamed vegetables is highly suspect because different vegetables have different calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Your protein levels look a little low to me. Ive been told 60g a day is the minimum by dietician. You could ad something like tofu to give you a change from nuts?
    Why? Nuts have plenty of protein in them.
  • muniska25
    Options
    Thank you guys! I do measure my food, serving size of whatever I eat (use measuring cups). I will start weighing myself next week, I am not concerned with losing pounds but more so what I see in the mirror. I look fit but have this layer of fat over my muscles that bugs me and doesn't seem to go away. I would just simply reduce or remove my carbs and fruits but I know once I get back to eating normal eventually I gain it right back :(
  • muniska25
    Options
    My protein is pretty high since I added protein shakes.. It's well over 60grams.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i think your diet looks pretty good. I like the percentages based on your daily calorie limit of 1574.

If you find yourself struggling, don't be afraid to increase the fat a bit and drop the carbs. I like to do that to increase energy. Sometimes eating too high of protein, and not enough fat AND carbs sucks. That's a fast way to feel tired when exercising and end up going away from your diet because you're starving. Just a suggestion.

I don't prefer to eat nuts much ONLY becuase I have a problem with quantity. I don't like that a small handful of nuts is almost 200 calories :). I love peanut butter also but again, 2 tblsp is 190 calories. I use that for a treat, but it's hard sometimes. I wanna eat 6-8 servings when I'm struggling :).
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good. One thing you may consider is a food scale since you aren't getting the results you want. There's little room for error with a food scale. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made!
  • Kurindal
    Kurindal Posts: 355
    Options
    Other high protein items include Greek Yogurts and (not sure if you eat these or not) eggs. I just hardboil a bunch and eat them as snacks. I have to reach 190ish grams of protein per day on a 1700 calorie diet, which I haven't managed to do yet, but I can try, lol.
  • muniska25
    Options
    i think your diet looks pretty good. I like the percentages based on your daily calorie limit of 1574.

If you find yourself struggling, don't be afraid to increase the fat a bit and drop the carbs. I like to do that to increase energy. Sometimes eating too high of protein, and not enough fat AND carbs sucks. That's a fast way to feel tired when exercising and end up going away from your diet because you're starving. Just a suggestion.

I don't prefer to eat nuts much ONLY becuase I have a problem with quantity. I don't like that a small handful of nuts is almost 200 calories :). I love peanut butter also but again, 2 tblsp is 190 calories. I use that for a treat, but it's hard sometimes. I wanna eat 6-8 servings when I'm struggling :).

It's hard to eat 1500 calories for me (feels like a binge). I am trying to keep not to go below 1200 or above-1350. I agree about the nuts, I try to stay away from them, especially from almonds, it's so easy to over eat. Peanut butter really helps my cravings and keeps me full. I might take a break from it for a week. I am not struggling eating on this diet, I am so used to eating little that I am afraid I am actually eating too much right now. Looks like I am doing okay though by the feedback I am receiving :)
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    it looks really good kiddo! it make take a wee bit as you don't have that much to lose, I wish I had the strength to do peanut butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I stay away, once I start I cant stop LOL
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you guys! I do measure my food, serving size of whatever I eat (use measuring cups). I will start weighing myself next week, I am not concerned with losing pounds but more so what I see in the mirror. I look fit but have this layer of fat over my muscles that bugs me and doesn't seem to go away. I would just simply reduce or remove my carbs and fruits but I know once I get back to eating normal eventually I gain it right back :(
    No, you need to weigh your food, if you are concerned about calories. There is often a big enough difference between weight and measurement of food to lessen a calorie deficit. You can get a good scale for $20 at any department store.

I would also suggest that you try some heavy weight lifting out. Also, eating at a calorie deficit will help you lose fat.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think you should lower your carbs. In my experience that's the quickest way to loose in a short term.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think you should lower your carbs. In my experience that's the quickest way to loose in a short term.
    Losing weight quickly is not sustainable. Weight loss is calories in/calories out, but macros contribute to satiation and energy levels.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    it looks really good kiddo! it make take a wee bit as you don't have that much to lose, I wish I had the strength to do peanut butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I stay away, once I start I cant stop LOL

I agree. PB IS SOOOO GOOD
  • muniska25
    Options
    Thank you guys. I don't want to weigh my food or get too low on my carbs ( I am okay with slow weight loss) I know it will help me lose weight but I am afraid I will get carried away. I think I will try to do a low carb one day and high carb next day...

Peanut butter is amazing! I only take one table spoon and put it away high up where I can't reach without a stool lol