Breast Cancer Survivors

Options
Hi! Are there any other breast cancer survivors?

Replies

• JABE6283
    Options
    Good morning.
    Yes, I am a Breast Cancer Survivor. I was diagnosed on 11/21/13, had a lumpectomy and radiation in December and now am in remission.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    I was diagnosed on 6/22/10. I had a lumpectomy and seven weeks of radiation. Coming up on my 4th year of being cancer free.
  • nickyh01
    nickyh01 Posts: 2
    Options
    March 18 is my official 2yr survivor date. I had 18wks chemo, 6wks radiation, double mastectomy, hysterectomy, and reconstruction all done in 1 years time. Now I'm cancer free and trying to live healthy...I don't want to do any of that again!
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Me either! So far, so good :) I go back to see my oncologist in May, and I'm hoping to lose another 5-8 pounds by then. Just sent you a friend request.

:happy:
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes ! Me ! I was diagnosed April 2013, I had 16 weeks of chemo, 2 surgeries (lumpectomies) and 31 radiation treatments. I finished Dec 27. Im back on MFP trying to lose the 22 lbs (and more) that I put on during treatment.

I go back at the end of April.

Oh and I am triple negative, brca negative. No TNBC risk factors, crazy !
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    me too....6 years cancer free. had a bilateral mast on the right side after finding a medium strawberry sized tumor close to the skin at 3 o'clock. triple negative, 4 chemo treatments and no radiation. been in and out of menapause since. just started having hot flashes again after about 18 months. almost 44 so hoping this is the last time i flip back and actually get to post menapause. sending everyone here a friend request. hugs to you for getting through this tough time in our lives.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    me too....6 years cancer free. had a bilateral mast on the right side after finding a medium strawberry sized tumor close to the skin at 3 o'clock. triple negative, 4 chemo treatments and no radiation. been in and out of menapause since. just started having hot flashes again after about 18 months. almost 44 so hoping this is the last time i flip back and actually get to post menapause. sending everyone here a friend request. hugs to you for getting through this tough time in our lives.

6 Years and you are TNBC ! That's super awesome ! Hugs to you !
  • hopefulmimi
    hopefulmimi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a breast cancer survivor. i had a bilateral mastectomy 9/18/2013 with reconstruction. I am pleased to say I am cancer free and am ready to get my sexy back.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6-yr survivor! I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in April, 2008. Had a lumpectomy and 31 radiation treatments. Will see my oncologist for my 6-yr checkup next month.
  • cpeterson70
    cpeterson70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed June 2013...chemo, lumpectomy and radiation...just finished. Came back here to lose the weight I gained during treatment because I was pretty successful the last time I made this a priority.
  • SettledSue
    SettledSue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a 2 year endometrial cancer survivor. I am looking for a discussion board of other people who have or have had cancer and are trying to lose weight. Sue
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm also a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed on April 22, 2013, at the age of 39. What a shock! I had a bi-lateral mastectomy last May, and a complete hysterectomy last December. I'm just getting back to "normal" again, though I have never been this out of shape! But I'm happy to say I'm cancer free!!!!
  • redbreast
    redbreast Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction in 2012 aged 28 for large, high-grade DCIS. Just escaped radiotherapy by fractions of a mm which I'm grateful for. Didn't give me the boost to live a healthy lifestyle I expected at the time but now I'm beginning to come to terms with my new body I want to take care of it. I get worried sometimes that next time I may not catch it so early so I'm determined to be as healthy as I can while still enjoying life. Thoughts to all those out there who have fought / still fighting xx
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie survivor. Was diagnosed last month with invasive colloid carcinoma, stage Ia, grade 2 tumor, HER2-negative, ER-positive, PR-positive, clear margins, no lymph node involvement, tumor markers normal. Had a lumpectomy with sentinel lymph node biopsy about a month ago. Oncotype DX recurrence score is 22 (intermediate); due to that and my age (55), my oncologist has recommended chemo. That will be AC, possibly followed by Taxol (we'll see how it goes), then radiation for 5-6 weeks and likely Arimedex for five years.

I've also been a caregiver for more than a dozen years to my partner, who has MS.

I reached my goal weight in December after losing 51 pounds in 15 months; today is maintenance day 132. I am extremely thankful that I have gotten myself in good fighting form for this.

I'm also thankful for my local breast cancer support group and the Reach to Recovery volunteer who is mentoring me through this process. I'm active on http://www.patientslikeme.com and the ACS social network http://www.whatnext.com. Have also signed up at http://www.breastcancer.org.

Your stories inspire me! Keep on keepin' on, everyone, and I'll do the same! :heart:
  • kornpopper
    Options
    me too,
    stage 4 cancer had chemo, radiation, double mastectomy, hysterectomy and a stem cell transplant.
    cancer free for 16 years now. now need to get this weight under control.
  • nyhynes
    nyhynes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    2 years cancer free after being diagnosed at 33 with triple negative, grade 2 stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma. At the time my daughter was 7mths old. I initially had a lumpectomy and 6 rounds of chemo but opted for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction following chemo rather than radiation (as it was an either or decision as I did not have lymph node involvement), I made this choice in spite of being BRCA 1 and 2 negative as my risk of reoccurrence was about 40% based on my age and the aggressiveness of my cancer. Unfortunately I had a lot of complications due to infections. Between pregnancy and chemo I gained 55lbs and after 4 surgeries in a year, my last surgery was January 30, 2014. I am happy to say in spite of it all using fitness pal I have lost almost 30lbs in between all these ups and downs and not being able to exercise. I finally feel almost human again and am running regularly again and eating clean. I have 25lbs left to get off and need to maintain a "strongly recommended" low body mass index which according to my oncologist studies suggest reduces my risk of distant reoccurrence. I wish I could have got the weight all off by now but I'm more then half way there, and am really motivated to get the rest of especially now that I am feel good again! Keeping on moving and eating clean to live longer! Wish more people could realize how important it is to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly! And how luck they are to be able to do so!!!!
  • nyhynes
    nyhynes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Survivor Here. Diagnosed 9/2010. Chemotherapy then lumpectomy with complete axillary dissection and radiation. Cancer free and approaching the 4 year mark. Triple negative, Stage 3
  • oranje_mama
    oranje_mama Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm in the middle of treatment - diagnosed in November 2013, completed 18 weeks of chemo on April 24, surgery last week. I kept swimming once a week all through chemo - it was hard, my arms and legs felt like lead, I was the slowest person in the pool, but I did it. Now, I'm "beached" post-surgery until my surgeon gives me the go-ahead to get back in the pool. And, I will be having radiation - haven't had the consult yet but I hear that swimming in chlorine is a no-no during radiation.

So, I'm trying to find other exercise to try to gradually get back in shape and regain lost muscle mass. Starting with walking - not super easy because I still have some residual swelling and hand & foot syndrome from the chemo. (Just one of the reasons why swimming is such great exercise for me)! My plan is to start with a personal trainer as soon as surgeon gives the go-ahead.

I was also in the best shape that I'd been in many years when diagnosed. I had re-committed to exercise in fall 2012 after many years when I neglected it. After a year of upping my physical activity, I started the 5:2 Fasting diet, and lost about 15 lbs in the 2.5 months prior to diagnosis. With chemo, I gained the whole 15 back. I'm in chemopause, won't know if it's real menopause for some months (I'm 43). I'll be starting tamoxifen post radiation. All things that can lead to gaining even more weight. Started back on 5:2 today and would love to have some fellow survivor friends!