Eggs

Options
Is eating two eggs a day bad?
When I track them I always go over for cholesterol.

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No :smile:

I eat 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites just about every day, I honestly don't track cholesterol on MFP and my last blood test to check it was fine.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eggs are delicious. I eat the *kitten* out of them!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    No
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs does not increase the cholesterol in your blood. I would track something else instead.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It depends on if your cholesterol is too high.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think there's different types of cholesterol?
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! My nutrition prof taught us that LDL is the bad cholesterol and HDL is the good, and HDL helps to keep the LDL levels down. If i remember correctly egg yolk is associated with HDL. Also moderate and high intensity aerobic exercise increases HDL, thus lowering LDL :)
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! My nutrition prof taught us that LDL is the bad cholesterol and HDL is the good, and HDL helps to keep the LDL levels down. If i remember correctly egg yolk is associated with HDL. Also moderate and high intensity aerobic exercise increases HDL, thus lowering LDL :)

This is how I understand it as well. I generally eat two free range organic vegetarian eggs a day.
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in eggs does not increase the cholesterol in your blood. I would track something else instead.

This. Cholesterol is produced by nearly every cell in your body and is necessary for metabolic function, you don't rely on food to supply it. The 'cholesterol' in your blood is actually a lipoprotein, a complex of proteins, fats and cholesterol molecules. They come in different sizes, some better for you than others, which has why people now talk about 'good' and 'bad' cholesterol.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    This is how I understand it as well. I generally eat two free range organic vegetarian eggs a day.

lol what next?
  • awaxwingslain
    awaxwingslain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I eat two eggs a day (usually for lunch) because I found that I am eating a lot of carbs (I'm a runner so I don't avoid carbs, but I'm also prone to over-eating them for ED recovery reasons) and it is honestly helping me balance out my diet A LOT. I can't see anything bad coming from this. :)
  • thetrudster1
    thetrudster1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat the eggs. It has both HDL (healthy) and LDL (lousy) so it balances itself out. It may look like a lot of cholesterol, but that is because it adds both LDL and HDL together. Making a higher cholesterol count. Just subtract the cholesterol of the eggs from your overall daily count.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    AS long as your cholesterol levels are good, HDL and LDL and your total chol count is good. eat the eggs,
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options

you do realise there is no such thing as truely free range and vegitarian chicken..if truely free range they are eating bugs,worms,snakes,mice and anything dead they find..really,chickens will eat another dead chicken..they are really nasty little critters if you think about it,,but they are oh so tasty!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i eat 2 hard boiled eggs often in a day and iam healthy as can be :bigsmile:
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat 20 egg whites and 4 yolks a day (split into 2 settings). My cholesterol is the best it's ever been. BUT, I don't have a genetic issue with cholesterol either.

I agree with others that say dietary cholesterol has little if any impact on overall numbers. I agree as long as there's not a genetic predisposition.

It's been my experience that my cholesterol numbers start to creep up only if I start gaining fat.
  • dscampbell1979
    dscampbell1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

you do realise there is no such thing as truely free range and vegitarian chicken..if truely free range they are eating bugs,worms,snakes,mice and anything dead they find..really,chickens will eat another dead chicken..they are really nasty little critters if you think about it,,but they are oh so tasty!

For truely free range eggs look for a local backyard chicken keeper, maybe at your local farmers market. We have at times kept chickens that we never fed because they "foraged" for all their food. The yolks will be dark orange and the whites will be white instead of clear. Super tasty!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat the eggs. It has both HDL (healthy) and LDL (lousy) so it balances itself out. It may look like a lot of cholesterol, but that is because it adds both LDL and HDL together. Making a higher cholesterol count. Just subtract the cholesterol of the eggs from your overall daily count.
    Well no, that's not how it works, there's only 1 type of dietary cholesterol which is neither HDL or LDL.....the liver which produces our serum cholesterol determines the amounts of HDL and LDL will be circulated. And that's the reason why dietary cholesterol has little impact on our serum levels........Not sure why the FDA hasn't figured this out yet considering it's been know for 40 years......
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eggs try some days just egg whites and some days the whole egg