Need help with my routine!

Options
Hi guys :) So I'm a 19 y/o girl who weighs about 118 and I'm 5'3. I have recently started lifting light weights at the gym using the beginner program from leanitup.com which gives you two different workouts that you use dumbells for. Eventually, I'd like to be squatting and lifting heavy weights...but I'm not really sure I should be focusing on weights right now. I'd really like to tone my stomach but there is still a bit of stubborn belly fat to be lost and I'm just wondering if I should be doing cardio and maybe a program like insanity for right now to get that under control (as well as get back into ACTUAL clean eating) before I start focusing on really toning. I feel that I'm making no progress with lifting right now because I'm still eating at a deficit. Should I wait till I lose the last bit of fat and move to maintenance to start thinking about lifting? Or should I continue with strength training?

Replies

• scare006jack37
    scare006jack37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of weight lifting as most exercises can be done without weights using your natural body mass. Do pushups, squats, lunges and inverted situps like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dk_dk2mP88

The best for toning is loads of cardio. I used to do about 2 hours a day five days a week. I suggest lifting light weights 12-15 reps, 4 sets on each body part for that day (if you have to lift weights or do the list above) then go for a run or other cardio where you can maintain for 1-2 hours.

I walk now to get the same tone but walking takes loads of time. For example, I usually walk to the gym then play sports then walk back for a total of 9 miles or 3+ hours. Many people do not have as much free time as a retired person like me. If you are short of time then run or swim. Swimming is a total body exercise with water resistance so you wouldn't need to supplement with weights if you swam say four to five days a week.

Baby steps to fitness health!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think you should start weight lifting now. You're at a healthy weight, and if you want to be lifting heavy, I'm sure you know that you're in it for the long haul. Eat around maintenance or at a VERY slight deficit (.5lb/week or less) and lift heavy weights. Your body will transform. You won't need to cut extra fat from there because you'll just get really nice muscle tone.

Personally: I'm an inch taller than you and 134lbs. My goal is to slowly cut to 130, slowly bulk to 135 and repeat for the next few years or until I look like a video game character.

Perhaps most importantly, you need to watch your protein intake. Especially if you are still at a (again, slight) deficit. I know the actual need is something like 1g/lb of lean body mass, but I aim for and suggest 1g/lb of total body weight, because there's just a higher chance that the protein will be utilized. I would have a large amount of protein after your workout (a shake works but so would a meal) and then another large amount before bed (so that your body can repair your muscles while you sleep.)
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of weight lifting as most exercises can be done without weights using your natural body mass. Do pushups, squats, lunges and inverted situps like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dk_dk2mP88

The best for toning is loads of cardio. I used to do about 2 hours a day five days a week. I suggest lifting light weights 12-15 reps, 4 sets on each body part for that day (if you have to lift weights or do the list above) then go for a run or other cardio where you can maintain for 1-2 hours.

I walk now to get the same tone but walking takes loads of time. For example, I usually walk to the gym then play sports then walk back for a total of 9 miles or 3+ hours. Many people do not have as much free time as a retired person like me. If you are short of time then run or swim. Swimming is a total body exercise with water resistance so you wouldn't need to supplement with weights if you swam say four to five days a week.

Baby steps to fitness health!

This is actually some of the worst advice I have seen. You don't need to do any cardio at all to lose weight let alone two hours a day. All the cardio will give you is a larger calorie deficit meaning you can eat more along with heart health. I would suggest 20 minutes of HIIT if you want to do cardio.

I like lifting so I would suggest that, but body weight exercises would work as well if you don't have access to weights. Start lifting now while you are on a deficit. It will help you maintain the muscle that you have and you should still see strength gains (just not as much as on a bulk)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are good initially, but it becomes increasingly difficult to achieve proper levels of resistance as you advance (and you should advance). With weights, the only requirement is to add more as you go along. With body weight exercises, you need to go into more advanced forms. Granted, one armed push ups and pistol squats are challenging and impressive to be able to do, but that doesn't mean that actual weights aren't more efficient.

Also, very few people "need" to do two hours of cardio per day. Much of that advice wasn't good, to be honest.
  • eatrunlaughlive
    Options
    Thanks for all the great answers and advice! Don't think I'll be trying that 2 hour cardio session any time soon as too much cardio actually raises your coristol levels and puts stress on your body which I don't want, well not that kind of stress at least! Much appreciated :)