Can someone please look at my plan?

Options
Hello, I am a 27yr old male, weighing 230lb, about 6 ft tall, former college athlete so carrying some muscle but definitely fat. My waist is about 40 inches. My goal is to lose 60lbs long term. I also want to improve cholesterol levels. Can you please tell me what you think of the plan below?

-Workout 5x a week, (light jog mon, wed, fri for 25 mins / weight lifting high volume for one hour tues/thurs), can workout more as I get in shape.

-I spend the rest of my day sitting behind a computer.

-I tracked my meals for the past five days, average nutritional info per day:

-1200 calories
-98 calories from fat
-25g fat
-4g sat fat
-242mg cholestrol
-1400 mg sodium
-140 G protein
-99g carbs
-27g sugar

-I eat my meals at these times:

-5 am, 730 am, 11 am, 3pm, 8pm

-Bed 930pm, wake 5 am.

-Sample daily diet (in order of eaten)

-Four egg whites
-.5 cup lentils
-2 cups kale chips (kale and olive oil)
-1/3lb grilled chicken w hot sauce
-2 cups brocolli (cooked with olive oil)
-1 cup lentils
-1/3lb grilled chicken with hot sauce
-2/3 cup sweet peas
-medium skinny vanilla latte starbucks
-late snack celery and almond butter if hungry before bed.
-one gallon of water on day.

Thank you.

Replies

• chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As a 230 lb 6 ft male, why the 1200 calorie limit?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more food 1200 calories for a 6 foot man is not sufficient. Either type your numbers into mfp or use an online TDEE calculator.

Also are you going to eat that everyday because it will get rather dull. I'm a 200 pound man I eat around 1800 calories plus exercise calories and lose between 1 and 2 pounds a week. Just because you want to lose weight does not mean you need to starve yourself and suffer. I think you need to go back to the drawing board
  • dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    Generically given your height and weight and activity level the target calories seems a little low. I'd have suggested something in the 1300 calorie range, and that extra 100 can make the difference between losing and getting stuck. The 21g of fat not saturated fat might be OK, it would depend on what type of fat it is. 1 fat gram is 9 calories, so your numbers don't quite add up unfortunately. 25g of fat per day would be 225 calories from fat, which is about 19% of your calories. With protein taking up 4 calories per gram, you're eating about 47% of your calories in protein. The carb calculation is 33% of your calorie target. So, those macros are pretty good if your goal is muscle mass, but not really for weight loss. You'd have to adjust carbs slightly higher to get to a weight loss posture.

Your water intake should be 1/2 ounce per lb of weight (as a reasonable estimate) and that would be 115 oz. A gallon is 64, so you're a bit short there.

Hope this helps.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Literally double your meal plan. Take everything you're eating, and eat it again. Even that might not be enough, but you'll be in the ballpark of a healthy plan and will be able to get more reasonable criticisms on it.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Literally double your meal plan. Take everything you're eating, and eat it again. Even that might not be enough, but you'll be in the ballpark of a healthy plan and will be able to get more reasonable criticisms on it.

^ pretty much this you may want to look into your TDEE and go from there
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Generically given your height and weight and activity level the target calories seems a little low. I'd have suggested something in the 1300 calorie range, and that extra 100 can make the difference between losing and getting stuck. The 21g of fat not saturated fat might be OK, it would depend on what type of fat it is. 1 fat gram is 9 calories, so your numbers don't quite add up unfortunately. 25g of fat per day would be 225 calories from fat, which is about 19% of your calories. With protein taking up 4 calories per gram, you're eating about 47% of your calories in protein. The carb calculation is 33% of your calorie target. So, those macros are pretty good if your goal is muscle mass, but not really for weight loss. You'd have to adjust carbs slightly higher to get to a weight loss posture.

Your water intake should be 1/2 ounce per lb of weight (as a reasonable estimate) and that would be 115 oz. A gallon is 64, so you're a bit short there.

Hope this helps.

:huh: :noway:

OP not this.

Where did you get that calorie goal from? Fatdoob is completely on point.

I really wish I could find the link to the sexypants thread....I think that would benefit you tremendously.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, you're eating too little. Meal timing has no bearing on weight loss, total calories do. Your BMR is 2230. Start by eating that at the very least.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I'd have suggested something in the 1300 calorie range, and that extra 100 can make the difference between losing and getting stuck.
    Maybe if he were in the last 10lbs, 100 calories would. But at 1300 that's still way low for a person of his BMR and physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Your calories are far too low. Take it from a 6'0" guy who started out considerably heavier than you are now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A 27yr old male, weighing 230lb, about 6ft tall - eating 1200 cals!!! :frown:

That's ridiculously low and counterproductive.
    I'm double your age, 3" shorter, started 30lbs lower than you and lost my weight eating 2400 cals.

And I managed to hardly lose any lean mass while losing fat - that won't be your experience unless you drastically increase your calories.

Pointless commenting on the rest of your plan unless you fix the most crucial point - your calorie allowance.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What are you eating less than a small child?
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It looks a bit low yea.

I suppose you could do it if you dont forget to eat back the cals you burn with exercise but even so you are cutting MORE than 1k cals a day. I suppose you are aiming for 2 pounds / week loss, you can still do that with more cals.

Dont forget you still need carbs in your diet with moderation, ofc.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I agree...double it. His TDEE minus slightly more than 25% would put him at 2400...giving him a 2lb weight loss...exercising moderately 3-5 days a week.

OP...eat more...I am a 61y/o female...I eat more than you do. I normally try to stay at 1500 - 1750...and I still lose weight.
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You like me were eating to little when I eat the correct amount my body seem to reset and started loosing.