My heart rate

Options
Okay I hope some one can help me out, okay I know that you burn calories when ur heart rate is 55% and 65%. Okay well Im a pretty big girl and I just reached 40 mins on my treadclimber and usually my hr is round 88% but When I pushed myself tonight to bring in the new year with a 40 min burn my hr was up to 95% No lie, That isnt dangerous is it? And how many cals do you think Im burning with my heart rate that high all the time? PLZ help

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar the other day. Mine gets reaal high sometimes like 182! I typically stay between 158-170
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    wow I thought mine was real high! lol I guess no worries then thanks:smile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I never recommend going above 85% of the standard formula for maximum heart rate unless you have been tested in a lab to see that you have a higher max heart rate then standard because there is an increased risk of a cardiovascular incident (heart attack and/or stroke, etc.) in some individuals. While you may be perfectly capable of working at a higher workload, it's better safe then sorry.
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    thanks for the advice Im pretty sure with me being so big I shouldnt do that but I guess my heart does that bcuz I have never exercised in my life.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Your body burns more fat than muscle if your heart rate stays below what it's called the anaerobic threshold. Once your heart rate gets higher than the threshold, you burn more muscle than fat. Ideally, you want to keep your heart rate under the threshold for most of your workout, while increasing your heart rate above the threshold a couple minutes at a time, so that your body gets used to this state, thus improving your cardio. Overtime, the anaerobic threshold will change, and it should get higher.

It is fairly easy to determine what this threshold is without having to go to a gym and have them calculate it for you. There are a few signs to look for:
    - jaw drops
    - breathing through your mouth
    - 1-2 word sentences during conversation
    - feels a bit difficult, but you can go through it

Once you hit these signs, check your heart rate and that should be your anaerobic threshold. Again, try to stay under this for most of your cardio so you burn more fat than muscle.
  • dustiemorris
    Options
    See I mlearn something new everyday. I thought that I wasnt burning unless I couldnt talk at all, and I breath so heavily that my mouth just pops open or I feel like I cant breath
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your body burns more fat than muscle if your heart rate stays below what it's called the anaerobic threshold. Once your heart rate gets higher than the threshold, you burn more muscle than fat. Ideally, you want to keep your heart rate under the threshold for most of your workout, while increasing your heart rate above the threshold a couple minutes at a time, so that your body gets used to this state, thus improving your cardio. Overtime, the anaerobic threshold will change, and it should get higher.

It is fairly easy to determine what this threshold is without having to go to a gym and have them calculate it for you. There are a few signs to look for:
    - jaw drops

Once you hit these signs, check your heart rate and that should be your anaerobic threshold. Again, try to stay under this for most of your cardio so you burn more fat than muscle.

See when I run my heart rate will be in the 170-185 range, and I have a few of those signs, like breathing thru my mouth and it does feel difficult to keep going, but I can carry on a full conversation without any problems. I just figure I'll get more used to it as I go.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    You definitely will. My threshold used to be 178. Before my health problems I would run 35+ miles a week without any issues. Sadly, will have to start all over again, but the point is, your body does adapt, and then you have to adapt again by making things a bit more difficult, like running faster or longer. ;)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I never recommend going above 85% of the standard formula for maximum heart rate unless you have been tested in a lab to see that you have a higher max heart rate then standard because there is an increased risk of a cardiovascular incident (heart attack and/or stroke, etc.) in some individuals. While you may be perfectly capable of working at a higher workload, it's better safe then sorry.

See when I;m on the elliptical ( that's pretty much all I've been doing....even when I'm at 160 I;m now breathing super hard. What would you say is safe for me.?I;m 40 yrs old.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

- jaw drops

You mean muscle glycogen, not muscle, right? Muscle glycogen is the carbohydrate stored in the muscles and it is what is primarily burned at high intensity. You only break down the muscle fibers to get the protein to convert to carbohydrate if you are lacking adequate carbohydrate to fuel the activity.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

See when I;m on the elliptical ( that's pretty much all I've been doing....even when I'm at 160 I;m now breathing super hard. What would you say is safe for me.?I;m 40 yrs old.

Without being able to do some sort of testing on you, either in the lab or a field test, I can only go with the standard formula for determining maximum heart rate. There are several different formulas out there, so you may run across a trainer that uses a different one, but in the lab at my school, they still use 220 - your age. For you that would mean the max heart rate is 180 beats per minute. This formula has been shown to have a standard deviation of 12 beats per minute so your actual max heart rate could be as much as 192 or as little as 168. Again, I'd need to actually test you to know for sure. Going with 85% of that estimated max heart rate would give you a training heart rate of 153 for the highest I'd recommend. So, slow down on that elliptical, or pick a different piece of equipment that doesn't tax you quite as hard until your cardiovascular conditioning improves. The low end of your training zone would be at 60% of that estimated max, which is 108 beats per minute.